The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-11-2001, 11:59 PM
Bob Womack

Nope, it was a Cedar-topped -14. I thought, how does this happen on a cedar topped guitar?

Bob
Old 06-12-2001, 08:31 AM

A few months before ordering my koa topped K14 I played a RSSM at my favorite store. I liked how it looked but the sound was thin, weak, and non-inspiring. Glad my guitar doesn't sound anything like that one! I agree with buddiesorg -- if that had been the only all koa I had ever played, I would probably never play another one. I think koa is one of those woods that varies greatly tone wise, and it helps to be able to play them first. Musicmanchris, have you played the K14's with cedar or englemann tops? They are both good choices, also, and sound quite different from koa, or from each other.

Overall, I love koa!
Old 06-12-2001, 09:59 AM

Quote:
A few months before ordering my koa topped K14 I played a RSSM at my favorite store. I liked how it looked but the sound was thin, weak, and non-inspiring.
I've only played one RSSM, but this one was -for me - the "holy grain" of tone. I just couldn't afford it. Funny thing is, I don't care for RS/Bon Jovi, and I never cared much for an all-koa guitar before. But this one converted me.

I saw it on the wall with a receipt after a deposit had been made on it; turns out it was sold to somebody in Hawaii (irony of ironies!)

~ Paul
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18
Old 06-14-2001, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulLePine:
<STRONG>I've only played one RSSM, but this one was -for me - the "holy grain" of tone. I just couldn't afford it.
~ Paul</STRONG>
Which just goes to show you, it really pays to play these guitars before purchasing them! I have found that the tone quality varies greatly with certain woods, and koa is one of those woods. Other woods you can come closer to guessing what it is going to sound like.

Before I bought my first keeper koa, I took home a 410K. (long story) It was EVIL! It sounded horrible! It had to get out of my house. It was the only guitar I have ever taken back, and the worst Taylor I've played.

I like brazilian, too, but have played a couple of brz clunkers. I have purchased a few Taylors without playing them first -- an 814cbrz, upon the recommendation of the dealer (good choice, my favorite); XXV-GA, same dealer; GA-KS, fortunate find, sounds fantastic; and our XX-RS with serial number to match the XX-MC, though I did talk to the guy on the phone for an extended time.
Old 06-15-2001, 07:19 PM

Yo,

Yeah, Chris, and everyone . . . so my buddy has an Englemann/KOA PS14C just like Buddiesorg . . . I touch it every week, I get to caress it once a week -- it's not mine. I play it every week . . . but it's not mine . . . it's the most beautifull sounding guitar I have played in years . . . did I mention it's not mine . . . and I can't have it . . . not mine . . .

Arrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh!!!

grm
Old 06-16-2001, 04:43 PM

Cool

HEY Buddie
Played a Koa K65 with englemann top it was the most awesome sounding twelve I had ever touched I was tempted . WOW It also had some incredible wood But the TONE
Old 06-16-2001, 06:11 PM

I love my PS-14c (though I would have liked it better without the cutaway ...). It's a great instrument.

Dancing Bear ... isn't that a K-55? I've played one as well ... but I'm waiting to play a K-65 (koa top) before making a decision on either.
Old 06-19-2001, 07:05 PM

Talking

Saturday, my wife and I traveled to Mass Street Music and there she listened as I embarked on a nearly day-long A/B session (courtesy of Tim Burton--thanks Tim!). After an enjoyably grueling session playing off a K24ce, K14ce, 514ce, DDSM, 614ce, 914ce, W14ce, 812ce, against my D-28, I chose the K-14ce.

Sound was the deciding factor. The K24 (a custom order K-14 with a Koa top) was easily the best looking guitar, but I preferred the sound of the K-14ce with its Engelmann top. I thought, compared to the K24, its highs were clearer and sustain was better all around.

I was also very impressed with the looks of the DDSM, but I just don't care for the maple sound. The 914ce sound was an amazing, ringing rosewood, but since my wife and I both thought its sound was a little too close to the Martin’s, it didn’t justify as a second guitar.

To describe the sound of Koa—I would have to agree with CaptBill, Jim, and Bob. It has a bright sound, with good sustain especially on the lower three strings. Its has a nice complexity of sound that I really liked and it seemed to encourage me to play better (if that makes any sense at all!)

[ 06-19-2001: Message edited by: Martin_Owner ]
Old 06-20-2001, 11:26 AM

trombone,

yes, i've played a K14 with a cedar top. It's the only Koa that i've been able to find in the Chicago land area! I liked the sound on it a lot, but it was at a small shop and the dealer was very protective and barely let me touch it!
Old 06-20-2001, 12:54 PM

I played a really nice K14c in my local shop. I would love to have that guitar.
Old 06-20-2001, 08:35 PM
mstorie

Smile

I've been partial to the sound of the K-14C's with the cedar top since 1998 when they became a part of the koa product line. Bright with good bass response. Not tinny. Not boomy. Just well rounded tonally. My wife has known for the last three years how much I wanted one, and about a month ago I had a chance to finally bring home one made in Dec 2000. I can't stop playing it now.
Old 06-22-2001, 06:03 PM
Bob Womack

Talking

The K14c with the cedar top is a wonderful bridge between the steel-string flat-top world and the classical world. I love what it does for mellow fingerstyle. Bright and clear but full.
Old 06-25-2001, 08:08 PM

Recently I've been looking at different guitars (I have a 26 year old D-28 that I love) with the goal of adding a great guitar for finger picking. I play some Leo Kottke, Doc Watson, etc. style, with a heavy bass. I've tried several different Taylors and absolutly fell in love with the K-14C with Englemann top. Liked it slightly better than the Spruce top. Maybe because I use an Ernie Ball thumb pick and can hit the strings hard sometimes. The individual notes were so clear, the action great..... I'm not all that crazy about the KOA looks, but oh the sound! Odd thing though, the 514C with Spruce top was by far my second favorite guitar. So go figure that I like the Englemann top better. Of course maybe it's just that on individual guitar was better and not the top wood at all....I better run out and get it before someone else does. Anyway, I'm saving my pennies and later this year will be defineitly be purchasing a K-14C.
Old 06-26-2001, 12:13 PM
mstorie

Just for clarification... The 514C has a cedar top as does the original K-14C (unless custom ordered). The newer (2001) K-14CE's have the Englemann Spruce top as do some of the of the 500 series (which also have Sitka tops on certain models). While I did save up my pennies for the K-14C, the 514C was clearly my second favorite for fingerstyle. Most dealers sell 514C's almost as soon as they get them. Once you have one Taylor, its even more tempting to buy another... They all sound really different and fit so many different styles. If anyone's got an 814bce just sitting around gathering dust... yeah right!... Happy Hunting....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification