The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-09-2012, 06:08 AM

Default H4 or R8?

I am wanting an easy way to record. I have looked into the options and the best options in Australia are Zoom products - I want to multi track and either H4(n) or R8 are looking best for me. I already have the (old) PSO4 wnd while it has been fun, it is a hassle loking through the menus to get to record etc.
The H4 or H4N is smaller and can be used as a general recorder, however has more menus to get through. The R8 is more like an old style 4 track (with 8 tracks) but the mics may not be as functional as the H4 (or H4N). I do not have any decent mics so that may come into the picture. I only want to record myself but want to multi track, and want to make it easy. Am happy to use Reaper.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:15 AM

Hey Sean - I bought an R8 a few months ago. Based on the products in that price range it's what suited me best. I have no complaints about the product. If I was looking for something more portable I probably would have gone with the H4 or a BOSS product (BR4).

I'm like you, I only want to record myself individual tracks / multitrack. I did go out and buy a condenser mic ART M-one for my acoustic and vocals though. I think that's going to be better than the mic in the Zoom.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:04 AM

Hi Sean, I also bought an R8 just a week ago. I think its more a unit for use with external mics. I have recorded with the internal mics, and its pretty good, but the mics are spread apart by about 10", so you're not going to hold this up to your mouth for singing. Its a bit awkward trying to prop it up for recording guitar. The built in mics are great for doing test recordings, improvising, capturing ideas, but not for production. For that you'll want external mics, and the R8 is really designed for this.
So I bought 2 inexpensive condenser mics. And then I had to have mic stands. And this all adds to the cost. I'll post some recordings in a few days once I figure out how to play through a piece without making too many mistakes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD