The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Default Anyone using Reaper for video and audio?

I posted this on the reaper forum, but thought it was worth a shot posting here as well.

I am new to reaper (really any DAW) and am trying to render audio and video to upload to YouTube.

I am using reaper 4.31
I added the ffmpeg codec library in the reaper program file as per the instructions. These are the files I added:
avcodec-54.dll
avformat-54.dll
avutil-51.dll
swscale-2.dll

I then render the project with these settings (as per Fran's Video)
Output format: Video (FFmpeg encoder)
Format: QT/MOV/MP4
Size: 1280 x 720
Framerate: 29.970
Video codec: H.264
Bitrate: 9000
Audio codec: 16 bit PCM

The audio is fine, but the video comes out choppy as can be. The video looks fine in the window in reaper. I've tried changing the settings but nothing seems to help. Quick time is up to date. I'm running windows vista 32.

Any help is appreciated.
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 12-05-2012, 08:37 AM

I think I remember Fran Guidry posting that he uses Reaper for both. You might want to PM him if he doesn't reply in the thread.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:53 AM

I have the same problem with choppy video when rendering to QT/MOV/MP4 but not when rendering to AVI. AVI works so I haven't taken any time to look into fixing the other.

I am using 64 bit Windows 7 Pro for what it's worth.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Thanks downtime. Yep. Same for me. AVI works fine, but I'd rather encode the audio to PCM if I can. Good to know its not just me.
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 12-05-2012, 01:13 PM

I'm using REAPER-32 4.30 on Win7 64. I just rendered the same clip using your specs in AVI and MOV. They appear identical on playback in VLC.

What playback tool are you using? ... Ahh, I see, I played back the MOV in Quicktime and got the odd jerky movement you describe. Isn't _that_ cute. But when I played the MOV in Windows Media Player it played back properly. Darn, I just _love_ QT <grin>.

I usually upload MOV to YouTube and have not seen this flawed playback on clips I have uploaded. You might do a couple of short test uploads to confirm this.

By the way, I did the AVI container with PCM audio.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

Last edited by Fran Guidry; 12-05-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Fran.

You were indeed correct. Although it was choppy playing in QT, once uploaded to YouTube it was fine. I looked up the VLC you mentioned, and I will now use it. Much more friendly than WMP or QT, and they dont monitor you. Great deal. It also allows me to view them after rendering and before uploading with no issues.
Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks again,

Mark

BTW-After spending a few days with Reaper, it really is a very nice DAW. Well worth it's low cost of admission.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele1111 View Post
I'm running windows vista 32.
Tele- Vista is 90% of your issue. To really render quality Video/Audio (especially anything in HD) you will need to upgrade to a Win7 platform. Pre Win7 just does not have the ability to buffer anything outside of .avi properly due to the processor/memory constraints. You can install 8GB of Ram in a Vista/XP system and it will only use a max of 4GB (32bit) and that is assuming you have a mainboard that will support 4GB.

GL!
2007 Ibanez RG2EX2
2002 Cedar Creek Mountain Dulcimer
2011 Dean EAB Acc./Elec. Bass (Spruce/Mahogany)
Old 12-09-2012, 12:00 AM

Actually, I saw exactly the behavior he describes on two different Win7 64 systems. In this case (and many many others) QuickTime is the culprit.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 12-09-2012, 07:48 AM

TY Fran. That is good info to know as I hope to be putting together a dedicated PC our DAW/webcasting in a few weeks.
2007 Ibanez RG2EX2
2002 Cedar Creek Mountain Dulcimer
2011 Dean EAB Acc./Elec. Bass (Spruce/Mahogany)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD