The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-31-2012, 07:54 AM

Default A little help please!!

Hi there, I play in an acoustic 2 piece and have just recently purchased a Fishman Loudbox Artist amp and an M-Audio Fast Track mkII device.

I want to record some home demos but wanted to make use of the guitar input feature on the new Fast Track recording device I got instead of just mic-ing up the amp. Is there a way I can use the guitar input to record my amp and not just the guitar alone?

I have tried using the line out on the back of the Fast Track and plugged them into my AUX on my loudbox artist but it doesnt seem to be working!

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:42 AM

Are you plugging your guitar into your amp? If so, you need to go OUT from the Fishman and then IN to the M-Audio. Then, from the M-Audio OUT to the computer via USB.

Good luck!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:24 AM

Hi Greg thanks for the help, basically i am using Garageband to record some demo and I know that I could use the built in guitar amps etc but I wanted to use real amps to record with.

I know that I could just put a mic up to the amp and record that way but as the Fast Track has a guitar input in it I was just wondering if there was a way to record directly and still use a real amp?

Thanks again.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:03 AM

If you plug your guitar into the M-Audio you can try the headphone out jack to the AUX on the amp and then the line out on the amp into the XLR input on the M-Audio. That way you can get two tracks (you'll have to set it up in Garageband).

If you just want to plug your guitar into the amp then use the line out from the amp to the XLR input on the M-Audio.

Hoping I'm understanding what you're trying to do! Seems like you don't want to mic the amp.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:28 PM

Smile

Personally I would bypass the Fishman and just plug your guitar directly into the DI input on the interface. The Fishman's purpose is for live amplification and it's really not needed inline on the way to the interface. Also, if the Fishman's output happens to be line level, it will be much hotter than the instrument level signal that the interface's DI input is expecting. The DI input on an interface is meant specifically for instruments to be plugged directly into it.

Hope this helps.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD