The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-15-2001, 08:03 PM

Question Parker P-38?

I'm pondering getting my first electric and I went to Musician's Friend yesterday. I played the P-38, a Classic Fly and a bunch of Gibson, Fender, BC Rich and whatever else was within reach. I'd appreciate any opinions from the wise members of the Forum on the P-38. Is there a major difference between it and a NiteFly? Anyone have a preferred dealer they use for Parkers? Pro's & con's? Basically, I'm looking for whatever info you folks would like to offer.

I fell big time for the Classic, but it's just a tad outside the budget constraints. Alright, more than just a tad.

Thanks!

Jim

[ 07-15-2001: Message edited by: jif6251 ]

"No don't walk that way....there's nothing there" - M. Keneally
Old 07-16-2001, 08:49 AM

The P-38 has maple neck and rosewood fretboard, lower grade frets, cheaper pickups. Don't remember what the body is made of. The NiteFly has either mahogany or swamp ash body, mahogany neck, carbon fretboard, the nice stainless steel frets, DiMarzio pickups and better peizo system. Of course, both are heavier than the marvelous Classic.......!
Don't know how much they were where you were looking, but Musician's Friend Outlet had a couple of the P-38's. They had a Classic, too, but it was way too much. I paid over $300 less for my Classic!
Good Luck!
Old 07-16-2001, 10:20 PM

I looked at these when I was shopping for my first electric earlier this year. There is a lot of info at Harmony Central:Click here.

I ultimately decided to buy an Epiphone Les Paul for the fat sound, but one day may want a Strat sound...
Old 07-18-2001, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the info. I did check out Harmony Central and they had lots of info.

Trombone, the outlet store was the place where I did the browsing. It's a fun place to spend the afternoon. Dropped my mother-in-law off at Harrah's and went guitar browsing. What a deal. That way, if she does win big, we're still close and I can get her while she's basking in the glow of winning. Hey, you never know.

Jim

Old 07-18-2001, 03:01 PM

Isn't that blue Classic nice? Just too much $$. We go there nearly every Sunday. Maybe someday I'll see you there!

I would go check out some "real" stores that have more selection so you can do a better comparasion. Also to check on the prices. The outlet place can have some good prices, but not always. They had a recorder that was new but no box or software, so they only discounted it by about $10. Why would I pay nearly 7% tax on a $2000 item that was missing something, when I could order it through the catalog, get it complete, and get it with free shipping (till the end of this month)? Even shipping would not come close to how much taxes are.

Anyway, good luck with the search!
Old 07-18-2001, 03:55 PM

The blue one elicited a big "oooooooooh" from me. Big difference between it and the two black P-38's.

I'll look for you when I'm in there on a Sunday. I'll be the one playing poorly. No, wait, that doesn't narrow it down much. I'll just say "trombone" every once in a while until I get a response.

Are there any "real" stores around here that carry Parkers? I looked at their website and they've nothing listed in either Missouri or Kansas.

Thanks for the info.

Jim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification