The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-25-2017, 11:46 AM

Most of my guitars have sugar seal with wax free shellac base coats, topped with Joe Robsons oil base violin varnish.

However great looking finish can be had with shellac straight.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:36 PM

Royal Lac has been around for a few years, which is shellac-based. Some have had trouble with it sprayed. I've finished one guitar with it as French polish, and a year out, it's fine. A test patch done two years ago is also holding up well: two months after applying it, I left puddles of water and alcohol for two hours on it with no ill effects. I'm not set up to spray, so if I continue to use it, it will be by FP, a process I like.

Pat
Old 03-06-2017, 10:17 PM

I strongly concur with the French polish fans. High quality shellac applied through French polishing yields an extremely thin finish with beautiful feel and luster, and wonderful tonal advantages. I find it perfectly durable unless you rely on your finish to protect the instrument from damage, in which case that protection comes at the expense of tone, so... Though I sweat plenty, I've had no problem with softening the French polish finish on the guitar I made in 1973 and play through the present day. The finish has aged beautifully, is obviously very, very thin, but had proven perfectly strong. And I'm not an expert finisher by any means. Frank's comment about bare-handed friction is true to my experience. It's a little painful, but the results are remarkable, and it's fun.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:46 PM

Some people seem to have sweat that eats into shellac, and others don't. You got lucky.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair