The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-12-2018, 10:31 PM

Default Swap from Martin HD-16R Adirondack to Gibson J-45 Rosewood???

I recently picked up a 2017 Gibson LG-2 American Eagle from a fellow forum member. Sitka Spruce top with Mahogany back and sides. Excellent little guitar, and my first Gibson acoustic.

I’ve always been a Martin guy, and around the same time I purchased the LG-2, I also purchased a 2013 Martin HD-16r Adirondack after selling my Martin 00-18 and 000-15m because I was missing that big dread sound.

Well, after playing the LG-2 and Martin for a bit, and although I love the Martin sound, I’m struggling to get comfortable with the size of the dread after having played primarily smaller bodied guitars for the last year or so. So I started the search for a short scale dread and have focused in on a J-45 Rosewood.

I have a couple of reservations. One is whether the J-45 Rosewood is different enough from the LG-2 to justify both. These will be my only two guitrs. I’ve read reviews where people suggest the LG-2 has a similar sound as the J-45 Standard. But I suspect the J-45 Rosewood will be a bit different. The other is whether the J-45 will leave me wanting in the sound department after playing Martins for so long.

I’d love to hear opinions/comments from anyone who has been in a similar situation or is familiar with these three guitars.

Last edited by Esq.; 02-12-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

That's a tough one. I've owned a J45 and the HD16r. I primarily play small acoustics as well. The HD16r had the IT factor for me in terms of tone. It's what I was looking for. I've played some good J45s, and some in rosewood, but they don't compare to the cannon of the HD16r. That's just my opinion.

But with some of that tone sacrifice, you get some comfort of a shorter scale in the gibson. In my opinion, to move from the HD16 to anything else, you may jump a step back in the thunder tone that thing produces, and move towards more comfort in playing.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:26 AM

I vote for the j45 rosewood. I love mine.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:38 AM

I don't own either guitar but I suspect the J45 Rosewood won't be different enough for you from the Gibby you have.
If you like the Martin Dread, you will likely miss that. Try to play a Rosewood J45 I guess.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-13-2018, 07:43 AM

Are you playing sitting down?

Many people find a Dread less comfortable to hold in a seated position (and many don't) and others -- fewer, I think, but not a few -- even while standing. The size and shape of the Dread's body, and how you hold it, can have an impact on both arms, not just the right arm (for right-handed players).

I'm not saying that you cannot get used to it again; and I'm not saying that a different scale length, coupled with a different neck profile, wouldn't make a difference -- it might make a big difference. OTHOH, you might want to try some extended playing sessions with the contemplated replacement models to see if they really do it for you. They might -- or you might just find yourself in the same boat, having lost something in the trade.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I don't own either guitar but I suspect the J45 Rosewood won't be different enough for you. If you like the Martin Dread, you will likely miss that.
Why not consider a Martin OM or a 000 of some sort?
I’ve had an OM-21, a few different 15 series OMs and 000s, a 000-17sl, and most recently a 00-18. All great guitars, but after having previously owned an HD-35, I felt the need to get a Martin dread again. Maybe I should revisit the OM-21. Of the small bodies I owned, I thought it was the closest to competing with a dread.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Are you playing sitting down?

Many people find a Dread less comfortable to hold in a seated position (and many don't) and others -- fewer, I think, but not a few -- even while standing. The size and shape of the Dread's body, and how you hold it, can have an impact on both arms, not just the right arm (for right-handed players).

I'm not saying that you cannot get used to it again; and I'm not saying that a different scale length, coupled with a different neck profile, wouldn't make a difference -- it might make a big difference. OTHOH, you might want to try some extended playing sessions with the contemplated replacement models to see if they really do it for you. They might -- or you might just find yourself in the same boat, having lost something in the trade.
I do play sitting down 95% of the time, so that is making a difference in comfort.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:49 AM

Im in the camp that dosnt think an lg will sound like a 45, different animals- I also would caution you to play the 45 before you do this, and wait till the new one is set up to your liking,or you find one thats got good action from the get go, lots of gibsons sound great with high action but wimp out if lowered
Old 02-13-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
I do play sitting down 95% of the time, so that is making a difference in comfort.
A friend has an OM H that is as loud as a lot of Dreads with only slightly less bass response, that's the good news.
The bad news is it cost $3000.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-13-2018, 12:55 PM

I own an HD-16R Adirondack, and I can't imagine selling it. You say that you will only end up with two guitars? Doesn't everyone need a back-up? Don't sell the Martin.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:14 PM
Guest 1511

Comfort matters, and like you I find sitting with a dread uncomfortable. I just played an LG2 and I’m familiar with the J-45 custom. They are not the same in sound or feel. The J45 still a large guitar that feels only a hair less huge in your lap than a Hummingbird. Your Martin is also a very good guitar. You must decide about the priority of comfort. I used to own dreads and preferred them but I have learned how to get the tone I like from 00 guitars. An LG2 is so playable and fun. A J45 is a great guitar but not comfy to sit with.

You want killer tone and loud in a smaller package? Think 000 from Martin or Santa Cruz. Superb compromise in my opinion. And you get to keep that comfy short scale.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:39 PM

I should also add that I primarily strum and occasionally flat pick. Very little to no finger picking.

The primary focus on the Gibson J-45 Rosewood is because there is someone local looking to trade his 2005 Gibson J-45 Rosewood for a Martin dread.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
I should also add that I primarily strum and occasionally flat pick. Very little to no finger picking.

The primary focus on the Gibson J-45 Rosewood is because there is someone local looking to trade his 2005 Gibson J-45 Rosewood for a Martin dread.
Ok, strumming can be done on the one you have and the one you are considering. It's more about the voicing.
I use my Pono SS Dread for certain things because it sounds similar to a J45... maybe slightly brighter, but it works on songs we perform where a J45 was used and works well.
I use my D18 for other kinds of strumming like a Jason Isbell song or something where a less bold guitar is called for.
Some folks will tell you that a D18 as a for instance, covers a lot of ground and it does, but it can't be a J45 nor can your current Martin.
It still comes down to what you want to hear. Can you play the J45? I would ask the owner for an audition period of at least a couple of days and keep your guitar handy for a comparison. That'll tell you what you need to know.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-13-2018, 08:34 PM

Well, to further complicate things, I just impulse purchased a 2017 Gibson J-15 off Reverb. Guess I’ll play the Martin, LG-2, and J-15 for a bit and decide which one to cut loose. Or perhaps keep both Gibsons, sell/trade the Martin HD-16r for a 000 or OM Martin. Decisions, decisions.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:38 PM

The J15 is a nice guitar. You might have found a good alternative to your Martin.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion