The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-18-2016, 11:42 AM

I was referring to audible differences between mixers only; speakers obviously color sound much more. Whether the sound of the L6s (and I have I have both L6 and EV gear myself) is "better" than that of the EVs is indeed subjective.

Disregarding the weight (and cost) of the speakers would allow any number of options, but since the OP mentioned his personal characteristics, I inferred he might well prefer something more portable the L6 option.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Stay with your Bose rig... nothing you can get for $1,000 is gonna come close to it...

If you want something just for YOU, or for a couple people (in conjunction with the L1), you might try to find a used Compact or Soloist by Bose... heck, nowadays, you could get a second L1 Classic for that price! There was one on our Classified not long ago for around that price.

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 12-19-2016, 08:23 AM

Really appreciate the input so far....
Looks like I need to start watching for after Christmas sales now. Going to go by a GC down the road from me) and two other shops I like in Portland and try a few options.
John
Old 12-19-2016, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
Really appreciate the input so far....
Looks like I need to start watching for after Christmas sales now. Going to go by a GC down the road from me) and two other shops I like in Portland and try a few options.
John
Portland Oregon?
I was shocked to hear Apple Music closed up shop ,,,,, loved to peruse that place when I came to Portland

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 12-19-2016, 02:00 PM

I would vote for a Yamaha DXR 10 and small mixer. I have a Soundcraft EFX8. To my ears its sounds very good. You can easily use one speaker to cover smaller venues. Also, if you ever play with others you will have enough channels.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:31 AM

Easiest upgrade to what you have is a second sub. (Don't see it listed, but if you don't have it, watch for a deal on a used one.)
Old 12-23-2016, 12:49 PM

I did not set out to do this. But by watching MF's Stupid Deal of the Day and using their BACKSTAGE PASS loyalty points I have put together a killer PA for $645.....

I am planning on using the M350 Column in the middle of the Church and speakers on the side & it should be quite a set up.

Harbinger M350 PA stand alone $246 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...with-subwoofer
Harbinger L1402 FX 14 channel mixer $101 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...eview?pfm=ac-a
Harbinger Var 2115 Speakers (set of 2) $298 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ed-loudspeaker

$645 Total........Amazing....I feel like I stole this puppy

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me
Old 01-26-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
Currently using a Bose L-1 classic with a Mackie FX 12 mixer.
I realize this is an old thread, but I'm astonished by how many people told you to buy another compact mixer and speakers on sticks when you already have a very good Mackie mixer and a Bose.

I know it's probably too late, but I would suggest a dedicated monitor and move the Bose to the front of the stage. Off to one side of course. If you don't use the Bose as a monitor you can turn the volume up without risk of feedback and still get very good coverage for a room of up to 100 people I would think. I have the Bose Compact and this is what I've done with mine when I've needed to crank it up.

Anyway, my point is build on what you already have, you're spoiled by that Bose sound, you aren't going to be happy with a traditional PA. That's my .02 late as it is. Would love to know what you ended up with.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:39 AM

I still own the Carvin Stage Mate S400D, which I added the second battery to and added the matching Carvin 810 speaker caninet for more power and coverage. It's on its second set of batteries during it's over 12 years of hard road use. It's still an invaluable system. Ric

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
Old 01-27-2017, 08:07 AM

actually....I am staying with my Bose system for now. Tried some other systems but the Bose still sounds fine. I could get some different options with a new system (always nice) but in the end it's how it sounds. And it does sound nice. I am sure if I went another direction I could it dialed in eventually.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys145 View Post
I'm astonished by how many people told you to buy another compact mixer and speakers on sticks when you already have a very good Mackie mixer and a Bose.
Since the original question was How do I get a good PA for less than $1000.....Those were the answers given.......

That said, if you see my previous answer I am combining a line array with two 15" speakers & a mixer for $645....

Since you have the Bose & were willing to part with a grand, you may wish to do the same....You can get 2 great 15" speakers for that price. Like Tony said build on it!!!

Not sure why people don't do this more often....I kind of experimented with it and it, & it fills up a good size venue quite nicely....

I don't know if you're supposed to do it, but my system is pretty incredible......Probably doing everything wrong, but the people absolutely love it.....

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me

Last edited by SteveA; 01-30-2017 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:36 AM

Sorry Steve it was really the 2nd mixer I was confused about.

But I'm intrigued by this idea of combining a Bose with a traditional speaker. Bose of course would never endorse such an idea but I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work. Of course I don't have a background in physics either so what do I know? But it sounds like it would work well for both the OP (Classic) and me (Compact) to get more power.

The Compact only puts out 130 watts so it doesn't get very loud. Also the Bose systems tend to feedback if you crank them up too much or even if you put too many different sound sources into one. I could see adding a QSC K8 or K10 to my rig at some point. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:34 PM

$350 and 300 watts Yorkville NX10

Portable, light, stackable

Sounds amazing

Have used them for all gigs every which way...and you can run more than one in a series for more happiness.

$350 dude....buy this. Now .

http://yorkville.com/loudspeakers/nx/product/nx10c/
Old 01-31-2017, 09:25 AM

So....Some have ADDED a PA system to the Bose? Then running both? Have not considered that option. Well, I did not know that it WAS an option.
Thanks
Old 01-31-2017, 10:39 AM

Consider digital mixers. My mind was blown by the Behringer XR12 yesterday. I may buy one rather than buying an acoustic eq pedal that only does eq. This is double the money and does hundreds times more!

There's a learning curve, but the price point is shocking. It just looks like a small patch bay, in a physical sense that's all it is. There isn't one physical slider or mixing strip, so costs are way down. You run it from whatever device you have. Apple, Android, laptop, PC, whatever. It comes with it's own router to. You can set it so that everyone in the band has access to their own monitor mix and can adjust it as they want to. You can set it so only own person has access to the house mix and channel eq's. A soundman can now just be walking around and adjust the sound from multiple points. That's ideal as often the soundman is stuck in less then optimal places sound wise.

With the Behringer you get;
-Midas mic preamps
-Noisegate for each channel
-4 band eq with option as to how it works; 4 parametric, graphic, shelving
-6 band parametric or traditional dual 31 band EQ for the mains
-Desser
-5 types of reverb
-3 types of delay
-Chorus, flanger, phaser, mood, rotary, tremolo, octave, etc...
-Many types of compression
-Several amp emulators
-many buses, effects blocks, etc, etc, etc...
-And of course, they can add to this in the future.

These retail for only $250 USD!!!

My local store gave up on Behringer years ago. Then Behringer bought Midas and he decided to wait and see. A year after Behringer put out the X32 console, he started bringing them in. He couldn't keep them in the store and NOT ONE came back for repair. This XR12 unit has everything that the X32 does digitally speaking, at a fraction of the price and size.

Soundcraft ui12 is a similar unit but it currently doesn't do as much. I'm sure it's great, I just haven't looked into it much. More physical mic inputs on their 12 channel

I like having actual buttons, but to get all this with actual buttons is thousands upon thousands of dollars. Not to mention. you aren't going to haul it to every gig. This unit and ALL your cables would fit in a small backpack.

Last edited by Carbonius; 01-31-2017 at 11:25 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification