The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-03-2016, 09:32 AM

Default Boss Katana amps?

Very soon, Roland/Korg/Boss will be releasing a line of very tasty-looking amps that are dirt-cheap called the Katana series, ranging up from a 2-channel 50-watt 1x12 to a 4-channel 100-watt 1x12, 2x12, and head unit. It's digital (to be expected from Boss), but promises to focus on providing 5 great amp tones instead of 25 barely usable ones.

Notably, one of the amp tones is "acoustic," (not an acoustic simulator) and if video demos are any indication, these sound fantastic with an acoustic plugged in. Also, it doesn't hurt that the electric guitar tones seem to punch well above their weight class.

This seems fascinating to me, because if these sound as good on stage as they do mic'd up, then the 100-watt 1x12 could be a great, portable one-and-done stage amp for both electric and acoustic applications.

Also, anyone know if it's okay to run an instrument-level out from a two-channel mixer and into a single amp input? I'd love to be able to use a little amp like this for both a guitar and a vocal mic.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:22 AM

I'm also interested in these. I'm not sure about feeding it from a mixer, impedance could be an issue, but I guess you could only be sure by trying.

I'm also looking at the Line 6 Spider V, which has several acoustic models (models of acoustic amps, not acoustic guitar simulator for electric). They look interesting too and have the addition of a tweeter which may be a useful addition. The acoustic sound is very nice in the video below, about 14:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6GzGvjQDPg

Interesting times, if one of these can nail both reasonable electric and acoustic tones, they could be very useful.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:49 PM

Hoping to revive this thread as I have a Godin A6 Ultra on the way for use on stage where I play 99% acoustic but have a need for some electric tones on occasion. I am trying to minimize my gear footprint and having the ability to slide from the piezo to the himbucker on the Godin and from the acoustic to an electric model on the Katana would be fantastic. The other challenge I have is that I plug into a DI so having a line out is a must. I have a THR10C now, but I'm afraid, from what I've read, that the headphone jack to a PA on the Yamaha isn't going to work.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 01-24-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McGriff View Post
Hoping to revive this thread as I have a Godin A6 Ultra on the way for use on stage where I play 99% acoustic but have a need for some electric tones on occasion. I am trying to minimize my gear footprint and having the ability to slide from the piezo to the himbucker on the Godin and from the acoustic to an electric model on the Katana would be fantastic. The other challenge I have is that I plug into a DI so having a line out is a must. I have a THR10C now, but I'm afraid, from what I've read, that the headphone jack to a PA on the Yamaha isn't going to work.
This may get shut down for reviving an old thread, but as to your concern about the THR headphone out, I use mine all the time and it works fine. TRS (1/4" balanced - stereo- to dual TS (unbalanced 1/4" -mono- into a board. I've also gone with an instrument cable out of the headphone jack to a DI. No problems. Clean signal.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:20 AM

Not answering your question directly, but if you want an incredibly detailed run-through of every facet of the Katana amps, go over to TGP and check out the massive Katana thread over there. There are guys there that can answer/have answered every possible question on these.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
Not answering your question directly, but if you want an incredibly detailed run-through of every facet of the Katana amps, go over to TGP and check out the massive Katana thread over there. There are guys there that can answer/have answered every possible question on these.
Somewhat related, has anyone tried the Boss acoustic singer amps? Looks like a direct competitor the the Fishman Loudboxes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification