The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-23-2018, 08:25 PM

Default Anyone here using the JBL EON ONE?

If so, what are your thoughts?
Old 02-23-2018, 08:33 PM

I bought mine last June and was playing 4-5 nights all the way till Labor Day with it, then continued doing Saturdays at the hotel here in town. Very happy with it, even with the weak gain on the inputs, which I solved with a Zoom A3 for my guitar and a Digitech Vocalist for the mic, giving both effects and more than enough gain.

I went ahead and got the roll around base with cover which despite my dislike of wheels in general, gets lots of use because I can stack a few things on top to roll in from the parking lot and make it in one load.

Coming from still having a Bose L1 Model II, it's a compromise, but then isn't everything? Let's just say that it's making me happy enough that my L1 Model II is now up for sale.

Have you had the chance to play through one yet?
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 02-23-2018, 11:24 PM

Thanks for the reply. I just started shopping for a new PA (after years of using a powered mixer/speakers/stands). It seems the Bose is the most popular and has great reviews, but I'm wondering if there are 'better' options.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russchapman View Post
It seems the Bose is the most popular and has great reviews, but I'm wondering if there are 'better' options.
For what I do, Fishman SA220 or the new SA330 is a "better option".

Steve
Old 02-24-2018, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I just started shopping for a new PA (after years of using a powered mixer/speakers/stands). It seems the Bose is the most popular and has great reviews, but I'm wondering if there are 'better' options.
You can get some good input here, but your most valuable input will come at a music store that allows you to bring your guitar and do some direct comparisons yourself.

I was one of the early adopters of the Bose L1 system when I bought a pair of the originals back in 2004, then ended up with three L1 Model II systems, only one of which remains now. It wasn't that long ago that I was defending the Bose systems because I actually owned them and most of the detractors hadn't even seen them.

Now I have found what I believe to be a better option over the L1 Compact which I intended to buy last summer, and that was the JBL Eon One, mostly because of extra bottom end and a smoother midrange.

The Bose L1 did not used to be popular, although it deserved to be, and is now. Same goes for the JBL Eon One.

Go try them out and find which one works best for your needs, because no one else is going to pay your bills and deserves less say in what you buy than you yourself do.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:10 AM

Do a search of the forum. Lots of discussion about the issues and limitations.

And if you’re getting more bass out of the Eon One than out of a Bose L1M2 with a subwoofer, you’re doing something wrong.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:58 AM

I did do a search for eon one and nothing came up, thus... And I also did one for the EV Evolve50, nada...

And I can certainly go down to Music Villa and play into a Bose L1c, and I'm sure it will sound great. But that's not quite the same as playing MAP brewing, stuffed against a wall with a bunch of gear, trying to monitor yourself, while finding the right volume without feeding back and not having phase issues (2 speakers will have different arrival times to your ears). Done with the old PA, I am (which btw, would sound really good in the controlled environment of a music shop).

But I get it. I'll just read reviews and buy something, thanks.

Last edited by russchapman; 02-24-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Do a search of the forum. Lots of discussion about the issues and limitations.

And if you’re getting more bass out of the Eon One than out of a Bose L1M2 with a subwoofer, you’re doing something wrong.
Looks like you're responding to my posts without having actually read them since you completely missed my workaround for the "issues and limitations" and actually transposed my comparison to the L1c as being a comparison with the L1M2.

Go read both my posts and you'll see where you went wrong in your dismissal of my input here.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:55 PM

The original Eon One has a lot of good things going for it. Many of us liked them. There is a gain issue with the onboard mixer when using anything that requires higher input impedance. An outboard preamp like the TC Play Acoustic seems to work very well. I had some limited success with an outboard mixer. That said, I traded up to the HK Nano 608i and haven't looked back. It's a better product.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
The original Eon One has a lot of good things going for it. Many of us liked them. There is a gain issue with the onboard mixer when using anything that requires higher input impedance. An outboard preamp like the TC Play Acoustic seems to work very well. I had some limited success with an outboard mixer. That said, I traded up to the HK Nano 608i and haven't looked back. It's a better product.
That HK 608i is definitely on my radar too and will probably be the replacement for my Eon One. Your input on the two units is so valuable particularly because you've actually owned both of them.

Now that I've got the low input issues behind me I'm still liking the Eon One, but it sure would be nice if JBL would just fix it once and for all. An all in one system should need outboard gear to make it usable at anything other than quiet listening levels.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:33 PM

Default Anyone here using the JBL EON ONE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
That HK 608i is definitely on my radar too and will probably be the replacement for my Eon One. Your input on the two units is so valuable particularly because you've actually owned both of them.

Now that I've got the low input issues behind me I'm still liking the Eon One, but it sure would be nice if JBL would just fix it once and for all. An all in one system should need outboard gear to make it usable at anything other than quiet listening levels.

Honestly, there is some sound quality difference between the two units. But, it’s not so severe that I would abandon the Eon, if you have the mixer working for you. The 608i gives you the two extra xlr, which is useful for when I play with others. The digital mixer is top notch too. They updated the software to provide some presets, a la QSC. Overall it’s a quality unit. But the JBL is no slouch. And, you’re cash positive with that tool. There is a lot to be said about continuing to make money with your gear. It’s analogous to driving a car until the wheels fall off. Smart money. Fools like me who do his for fun and charity can sometimes afford to dabble in the latest and greatest.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Honestly, there is some sound quality difference between the two units. But, it’s not so severe that I would abandon the Eon, if you have the mixer working for you. The 608i gives you the two extra xlr, which is useful for when I play with others. The digital mixer is top notch too. They updated the software to provide some presets, a la QSC. Overall it’s a quality unit. But the JBL is no slouch. And, you’re cash positive with that tool. There is a lot to be said about continuing to make money with your gear. It’s analogous to driving a car until the wheels fall off. Smart money. Fools like me who do his for fun and charity can sometimes afford to dabble in the latest and greatest.
Those highlighted areas are some of the reasons I'd like to get a 608i when I happen upon a deal like one of the members here found a few months back. (can't remember if it was you or someone else)

I'd also like to not need the pedals just to have the thing be usable, but I'm also willing to spend a bit more to have a more positive performing experience and while I won't run out and buy one right this minute, as soon as the right deal pops up I'll be on it.

The band I auditioned with the other night was quiet enough we could have used my Eon One for the vocals in a hotel lounge, but the extra channels would have been welcomed right off the bat. One channel for the acoustic and three mic channels without having to mess with an external mixer, sounds good to me.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Another former EON ONE owner who replaced it with an HK Nano unit with zero regret. I strongly prefer the HK.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:18 PM

Thanks for the input. For you folks using the nano- are you setting it up as a mono system, or as 2 satellites and a sub? And does the nano system have a wide horizontal dispersion and resistance to feedback like the Bose? Thx.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the input. For you folks using the nano- are you setting it up as a mono system, or as 2 satellites and a sub? And does the nano system have a wide horizontal dispersion and resistance to feedback like the Bose? Thx.

I use it with the optional (extra cost) S-Pole in the mono setting. The dispersion is better than any 2-way speaker cabinet, but not as good as the Bose. However many prefer this to the Bose because it is a “cleaner” and less processed tone. The Nano 600 systems seem to get the balance right between portability, feature convenience, sound quality and weight.

My friend Cuki is the one that really turned me onto to them. Full Compass Audio offers occasional deals on demo units.

I got mine from my local dealer who had a demo unit. Everyone loved it who tired it, but he sold more Bose. So, he gave it to me near his cost. I had to mail order and pay retail for the S-Pole accessory.

It’s my favorite of the compact PA systems, in its price range, at the moment. In fact, I’d probably take this unit over the Bose L1S/T4S system, which costs quite a bit more.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification