The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-23-2016, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Cool AER Compact 60 w/ Electric Guitar?!!!

Just wondering if anyone who owns a Compact has gotten decent results using it with an electric guitar... in my case, it's basically a Gibson 335, although I would use my ES-175 or Taylor T-5 as well, if I found settings that worked for me.

I heard a fellow playing a fat-bodied jazz box with his Compact and it sounded good for traditional, straight-ahead jazz tunes, but I did not get a chance to look at how he had the tone controls tweaked to get the sound he did.

Knowing how many folks here like to mess around and try different things, I thought I'd try here for some information!

Thanks ahead of time for anything you can give to me about this...

John

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 12-23-2016, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

I heard Laurence Juber a week or two ago with an electric/acoustic show. He was rocking out on a 335 most of the night, using a Compact 60. He was running this ahead of it, and it sounded quite good:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FlyRig5

I'd think jazz tones would be straight-forward with just the compact 60, maybe crank the highs down a bit.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Doug... I realize that I can certainly turn the knobs for myself, just wanted to find out if anyone had discovered any tricks with the AER and electric guitars...

That little SansAmp pedal looks pretty cool...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 12-24-2016, 02:26 AM

I'd be interested to know if an electric guitar could do any damage to an acoustic amp, like an aer?

I used to play my strat through my Marshall as50r and The amp eventually started cutting out, I'm not sure what caused it but my mind often blamed using the strat

I actually really like the tone you get from an electric guitar through an acoustic amp
Old 12-24-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipe dreamer View Post
I'd be interested to know if an electric guitar could do any damage to an acoustic amp, like an aer?

I used to play my strat through my Marshall as50r and The amp eventually started cutting out, I'm not sure what caused it but my mind often blamed using the strat

I actually really like the tone you get from an electric guitar through an acoustic amp
In the opinion of this retired EE, you can't damage the electronics, but you could blow a speaker, in particular a tweeter will be sensitive to loud distorted tones with harmonics that could damage it. Some amps have limiters to protect their speakers which might explain your Marshal experience. For the AER 60 which uses a dual cone speaker (no tweeter) you are probably safe pushing it pretty hard.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 12-24-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
In the opinion of this retired EE, you can't damage the electronics, but you could blow a speaker, in particular a tweeter will be sensitive to loud distorted tones with harmonics that could damage it. Some amps have limiters to protect their speakers which might explain your Marshal experience. For the AER 60 which uses a dual cone speaker (no tweeter) you are probably safe pushing it pretty hard.
Great, thanks for the advice! Merry christmas to all
Old 01-31-2017, 05:53 PM

I had a compact 60 and sold it to get a Quilter Micro pro with the 8inch speaker. it's about the same size and I think does electric guitar way way better than the compact 60.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification