The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-30-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placida View Post
What's wrong with it?
Hi, Placida,

I have a Martin D-16RGT with a Richlite fretboard and a Martin HD-28V with an ebony fretboard.

I've never noticed any difference in feel between them - in fact, the only noticeable difference is the sound.

Maybe my hands just aren't sensitive enough to feel the supposedly difference.

If you like the sound of the OM -- go for it - nothing else matters - it's your ears that count
Old 03-30-2011, 09:01 AM

I can't imagine that anyone, blindfolded and handed a guitar with "richlite" fretboard, could hear or feel a difference between ebony or rosewood. But of course there are those who will insist they could. It certainly wouldn't be a deal killer for me if the guitar was otherwise "the one" I wanted. Besides, anyone who plays enough to be a decent guitarist ought to have callouses thick enough to prevent feeling much of anything under their fingertips ...
Old 03-30-2011, 09:06 AM

I own a 000-16GT, and like Rusty said if you handed me this guitar blindfolded I could never tell the difference. It looks great, feels great, sounds great and it doesn't move. What more do you want?
Taylor 214ce DLX (Sunburst)
Old 03-30-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS View Post
I am also very happy with my Micarta fretboard. I've had ebony and rosewood fretboards. I like ebony more than rosewood. But I have to say after I got over the "thought" that my new guitar has micarta instead of "real" wood...it didn't bother me at all. It plays every bit as well as my ebony fretboard did, and better than the rosewood. (Actually, It plays a bit "faster" than my ebony fretboard and I like it every bit as well if not more.) And if it holds up well...then, whats the problem? As an added bonus it looks like the ebony too. So, the moral is, for me, if it plays and looks good...what's the big deal. It seems at this point to be every bit as good as the "real" wood. It is just the thought of it not being wood. (I got over not having to have wood bindings too.)
You've got your priorities right ...sound and feel first. It's nice to read from people who are prepared to actually test their preconceptions and even better when they over-ride them when they find out that preconception isn't borne out by experience.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:12 AM

I like it better than ebony. Ebony is not very dimensionally stable. That means that while the hardwood neck won't really move much at all, the ebony fretboard will. I'd rather have a material that is not only stable, but doesn't dampen as much as ebony. Plus, it plays faster than ebony and rosewood.

I get the traditionalist thing, but I play my guitars and use them as a tool to make music and don't spend a lot of time thinking about what tradition says I should be using.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Health Freak View Post
I like it better than ebony. Ebony is not very dimensionally stable. That means that while the hardwood neck won't really move much at all, the ebony fretboard will. I'd rather have a material that is not only stable, but doesn't dampen as much as ebony. Plus, it plays faster than ebony and rosewood.

I get the traditionalist thing, but I play my guitars and use them as a tool to make music and don't spend a lot of time thinking about what tradition says I should be using.
Good way of looking at it. I will be more open minded and give one a try.
2009 Norman B18
2011 Larrivee L-03
Old 03-30-2011, 09:40 AM

Ok, I have what may very well be a dumb question about Richlite, but I'm not very familiar with it so I don't know. With its properties, can you re-fret it or will the whole finger board need to be replaced?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:55 AM

This guitar has a Micarta fretboard and bridge. But, with the koa, who's gonna notice.

Several Martins, 2 Guilds, a couple of kits and a Tilton (ever heard of those?),
some ukes and a 1920s Vega tenor banjo

Neil deGrasse Tyson — 'The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.'
Old 03-30-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane View Post
Ok, I have what may very well be a dumb question about Richlite, but I'm not very familiar with it so I don't know. With its properties, can you re-fret it or will the whole finger board need to be replaced?
While I don't really know the answer to this, I would think if it was fretted once it ought to be able to be refretted, shouldn't be anymore brittle than wood. frank
Old 03-30-2011, 12:14 PM

I have no problem with a synthetic fretboard. And the no shrinking or drying part is appealing.

I do have trouble accepting a micarta/richlite bridge. But that is based on my aesthetics, not anything significant to anyone else. I prefer rosewood and stripped ebony bridges. Maybe I just don't like black bridges that look like they were painted.

As far synthetic materials and the sound of the a guitar goes, if the guitar sounds good, it sounds good. That part of the question is easy. The proof is in the pudding.

-You could just as well be hung for a sheep as a goat.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:13 PM

I've build counter tops with black Richlite, and even have a few scraps around to use for fingerboards if I ever have a call for it. I was told it is a "sustainable" vegetable based phenolic material. It is being pushed as a green material. Milling it produces the same noxious dust as milling ebony. I think it is more stable and wear resistant than ebony, and see no reason it couldn't be refretted when necessary.
The work involved handmaking a fretboard using Richlite would be about the same as using ebony. At this point I think most people will pay the few dollars extra for "real" wood.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:21 PM

Richlite is made from recycled paper and resin.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:42 PM

Myself?...when I play guitar, I always play with the strings on.

I play with as light a touch as possible and, because of that, I always feel the strings much more than the fretboard.

Strangely, I like the patchy look of my rosewood fretboards after many years of play with potent fingertip secretions, so if Richlite fretboards (or others non-wood) don't stain that way, I probably wouldn't like them quite as much.

I tried to dislike the non-wood binding and purfling on my guitars, but they just look too good...

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

2006 Art & Lutherie Ami Parlor: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Black Satin Lacquer
2006 Art & Lutherie Dreadnought: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Natural Satin Lacquer

You can't change the tide with an oar. ---Nick Bracco (Gary Ponzo)

Last edited by reholli; 03-17-2015 at 05:00 PM. Reason: ...punctuation...
Old 03-17-2015, 04:55 PM

it is fake ebony

no real wood at all

it does bother me a bit, as does HPL (another fake wood, basically formica)

and also stratabond, which is wood, but many thin layers, and a lot of glue (looks like a thin bowling alley)
Old 03-17-2015, 05:05 PM

I am curious as to whether all of the traditionalists are going to be as traditional when it comes to torrefied wood products. Yes torrefied wood is a wood product. It does not exist in nature. It is not like aged wood. It is a manufactured wood product. The only thing missing is resin.

The richlite fret board guitars I have played were not readily distinguishable from wood board guitars except they typically look better if a little unreal in their perfection. I am OK with the idea of it.

hunter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion