The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2015, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Default Had my first lesson today

I had my first real live lesson today, and it was great! I thought I would feel funny, especially after a pre-teen walked out with her mom, after her lesson. I felt like a grown-up in the tiny little chairs in the pediatrician's office.

The instructor has been teaching for 20 years. He made me comfortable. showed me a lot, and made a big difference, all in 1/2 an hour.

I have seen lots of the videos, and read a lot of things on the internet in the past few weeks, but a real live teacher is head and shoulders better.

I guess my point is that if you have access to a professional guitar teacher, take advantage of the opportunity.

One thing he did ask me-"what do I want to play?" I don't really know, but I did tell him I don't ever want to hear Stairway To Heaven come out of my guitar.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
a real live teacher is head and shoulders better.
Couldn't agree more. Congratulations on an excellent first lesson. It'll only get better. I do think your instructor is right… it'll help if you have a good idea of what you want to learn or which direction you want to go. Good luck.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbie View Post
Couldn't agree more. Congratulations on an excellent first lesson. It'll only get better. I do think your instructor is right… it'll help if you have a good idea of what you want to learn or which direction you want to go. Good luck.
I want to play Jingle Bell Rock by Christmas. Other than that, I really haven't thought about it.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:54 PM

Personal teachers just suit some better than others.

I preferred online course on the net. There's a world of difference following a structured course, than reading and watching random lesson vids.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Big time congrats! It's nice to hear that your instructor asked you what you'd like to play. That shows they're interested in you progress. Keep us posted.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
Big time congrats! It's nice to hear that your instructor asked you what you'd like to play. That shows they're interested in you progress. Keep us posted.
I ran into that with a teacher once. The guy wanted me to be mini Him.

Dan
Old 03-19-2015, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I want to play Jingle Bell Rock by Christmas. Other than that, I really haven't thought about it.
I'll bet in the process of learning "Jingle Bell Rock," you'll come across another song that interests you. Pretty soon you'll have a better feel for what styles or genres interest you most.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Congrats. Glad to hear you're off to a good start.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:49 PM

I remember having a teacher I really liked in the seventies..

He would teach me to play all of the popular music of the day! Also grill me on theory etc...

Taylor GS8e (2007)
Taylor 310 (2000)
Taylor 214ce (2007)
Fender Stratocaster American Standard (1990)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster (2011)
Ibanez AEG 10NII (nylon) 2015
Old 03-19-2015, 10:08 PM

I had a pretty good musical background (piano from 6-10, recorder fourth grade, alto saxophone from 11-14, percussion (drums) 14-16), so when I picked up a guitar at 17 I knew how to read staff (both clefs), knew rhythm and didn't have a problem with picking and strumming like my instructor said he'd seen many of his other beginning students.

He was a decent teacher, taught me stuff I really didn't want to learn (Iron Man, Smoke on the Water- acoustic, and Dan Fogelburg Longer, a song I'd only heard when he played it).

Still, he gave me some instruction on playing position that I wouldn't have gotten on my own. Took a course in classical guitar a year later in college and was better than most everyone else in the class (I at least had played before, and was using my own Alvarez steel string instead of the school's beat up classicals). Got even better with my position and finger picking technique that year.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:

One thing he did ask me-"what do I want to play?" I don't really know, but I did tell him I don't ever want to hear Stairway To Heaven come out of my guitar.
Stairway..... denied!

Here's an answer for you, until you figure that out...

"Show me some songs that sound impressive but are easy to play"

2018 Taylor 812ce 12-fret DLX
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Koa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion