The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-15-2015, 10:38 PM

Default looking for an acoustic guitar mic

Looking for some great suggestions for miking up my Bourgeous Country Boy D (Adi/Hog). I would like a single mic setup, going into:
K&K Meridan Preamp (or another simple no-eq pre) > Strymon BigSky > Henriksen JazzAmp 11

I definitely don't want to modify the guitar in any way and I typically am not a fan of any drop-in alternatives like Soundhole pickups.

Any good suggestions are welcome.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:59 PM

Shure beta57a. Best all around acoustic mic for the money unless you want to spend a lot these mics have been used for years and are great. Along with the good ole sm58 vocal, these mics have been used as standards. Good pickin.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:00 PM

Most posters here will disagree with me (you NEED a conDENSer!), but my go-to mic for this is a Beyerdynamic M201. It's a studio dynamic mic with a supercardioid pattern. Very forgiving pickup pattern, very flat response, very good off-axis response so there is little issue with feedback. Aim it at the neck-body join and Just Play. I have also used it for classical guitarists doing concerto work and never a complaint.

*everything* is a tone control
Old 02-15-2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donh View Post
Most posters here will disagree with me (you NEED a conDENSer!), but my go-to mic for this is a Beyerdynamic M201. It's a studio dynamic mic with a supercardioid pattern. Very forgiving pickup pattern, very flat response, very good off-axis response so there is little issue with feedback. Aim it at the neck-body join and Just Play. I have also used it for classical guitarists doing concerto work and never a complaint.
Im certainly no expert but it depends on your recording/playing room. Condenser mics are very sensitive(a good thing) but will pick up the slightest background noise, a bad thing.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:39 AM

I like the SM-81, a pair is even better. The Cadillac track is Neumans, but as is the often case Shure mics are pretty good.

Some folks like to put pickups in their guitars. I did so in a guitar 30 years ago, but it's a bit dated now. It's less convenient, but I prefer a mic in front of an acoustic if practicable.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

The Ear Trumpet Labs mics sound pretty fantastic:
http://www.eartrumpetlabs.com/produc...rophones/edna/

That's the one the Milk Carton Kids use onstage and their guitars sound great IMO.

-Mike
Old 02-16-2015, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutherland View Post
Looking for some great suggestions for miking up my Bourgeous Country Boy D (Adi/Hog). I would like a single mic setup, going into:
K&K Meridan Preamp (or another simple no-eq pre) > Strymon BigSky > Henriksen JazzAmp 11

I definitely don't want to modify the guitar in any way and I typically am not a fan of any drop-in alternatives like Soundhole pickups.

Any good suggestions are welcome.
So to clarify, it sounds like you are actually looking for a live performance application as opposed to a recording ,yes?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-16-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
So to clarify, it sounds like you are actually looking for a live performance application as opposed to a recording ,yes?
Close. I am looking first and foremost for amplification purposes at home.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:00 AM

Why would you need to amplify at home?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 02-17-2015, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutherland View Post
Close. I am looking first and foremost for amplification purposes at home.
Ah OK and it sounds like you already have. or know for sure on the Big Sky and Hendriksen ?

So looking for a mic and preamp. So if you go with a Dynamic mic you are good to go. Where with a Condenser then the pre amp will have to have phantom power.

Perhaps the best method is decide what your budget range might be. for mics and pre's both the range is basically from $40 on up into thousands.

For Dynamics you might check out Heil (acoustic string instrument mics at bottom of page) http://www.heilsound.com/pro/products/instrument-microphones

As for preamp same thing "budget" you can get into something like an ART tube pre for as little as $39 and up from there

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 02-17-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemike View Post
The Ear Trumpet Labs mics sound pretty fantastic:
http://www.eartrumpetlabs.com/produc...rophones/edna/

That's the one the Milk Carton Kids use onstage and their guitars sound great IMO.

-Mike
I played a gig a few weeks ago into a Ear Trumpet Labs "Louise" ... guitar and vocals ... awesome mic. Now I want one.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:32 PM

Tried a bunch, but always go back to my pair of Shure SM 81. They are older made in the U.S. models. I still see these on ebay for around $175-$200 apiece.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:00 PM

Another vote for Shure Beta 57 - a very versatile/economical mic, and the super-cardioid pattern is helpful in reducing feedback. Not sure if your set up includes a parametric EQ, but you'll probably need one to control feedback.

As an aside, Grace Design has just introduced "Felix" -

http://www.gracedesign.com/products/felix/felix.htm

Grace makes really nice equipment, but you have to pay for it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD