The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-19-2015, 09:38 AM

Default New Mic Day! MXL V67G

I picked up a used MXL V67G and technically, it was delivered yesterday. The UPS guy didn't bring it to the house but instead, tied it to a tree out by the road. I didn't see it until I left for work this morning.

Anyway, since it was -5F last night, I just put it in the truck and will let it slowly warm all through the day today. I'll put it in the garage tonight ~40F, and bring it into the house tomorrow morning. I might open the package tomorrow night.

I'm pretty paranoid about condensation...

This slow warming is actually OK as I won't be able to play with it for a few days anyway. I know it won't make me sound better but hopefully, I won't have the random noise issues that I've been having with my Behringer C2's.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:08 AM

A definite upgrade... good luck with the warming up process.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I picked up a used MXL V67G and technically, it was delivered yesterday. The UPS guy didn't bring it to the house but instead, tied it to a tree out by the road. I didn't see it until I left for work this morning.

Anyway, since it was -5F last night, I just put it in the truck and will let it slowly warm all through the day today. I'll put it in the garage tonight ~40F, and bring it into the house tomorrow morning. I might open the package tomorrow night.

I'm pretty paranoid about condensation...

This slow warming is actually OK as I won't be able to play with it for a few days anyway. I know it won't make me sound better but hopefully, I won't have the random noise issues that I've been having with my Behringer C2's.
Brrr..Good advice!

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 02-20-2015, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

He tied it to a tree?!? Is that a real thing people do?

-Mike
Old 02-20-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemike View Post
He tied it to a tree?!? Is that a real thing people do?

-Mike
When you live in the country back a long lane, it's very common. One delivery person hooks it on a nail on the split rail fence and another hides it under the pine tree. This must have been a new guy as I've never seen one tied to that tree before. His footprints in the snow showed that he checked out several possible locations before choosing that one.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:24 AM

I have 2 of these mics. I am getting excellent sound out of them. Positioning is key to getting the best sound. They seem to work well about 10" - 1 foot away. Pick up too much room sound farther away. I am getting a pretty good guitar sound with the mic somewhere between the 12th fret and the sound hole, pointed at the sound hole.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 02-20-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaYairi View Post
I have 2 of these mics. I am getting excellent sound out of them. Positioning is key to getting the best sound. They seem to work well about 10" - 1 foot away. Pick up too much room sound farther away. I am getting a pretty good guitar sound with the mic somewhere between the 12th fret and the sound hole, pointed at the sound hole.
I'm excited about this too. I'm not anywhere close to being good enough to care about precision recordings but I'm tired of the random issues of the behringer mics. I've been using a cheap Samson C01 as a vocal mic and, though not great, doesn't freak out every now and then like the Behringers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD