The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-10-2011, 11:37 AM

Default In the market for fingerstyle acoustic

My thread earlier contrasted two guitars, which was a mistake. So here goes again:

I play fingerstyle, but in open tunings, which requires dropping low e string down to C or B. I need a good acoustic giutar (in the $700 to $1300 range) that can handle those open tunings without the entire intonation going out of whack.

Can anyone suggest a guitar that fits the bill? (Obviously, the Rainsong is out of the question!).

Last edited by The Colonel; 05-10-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:57 PM

Tricky. I have the same requirements (but want to be able to take the E down to A). Covering that range without adjustment for intonation is nearly impossible.

I'm having a custom guitar built to cover it, with two key features - fan fret to give me 26" bass scale and three 3/16" saddles, compensated for standard, CGCGCD and AEEGBE.

You could have a second saddle made for low tunings and swap it in when needed, if you don't switch tunings too often. Or setting up the guitar with a heavier bass string (and lower bass action) may help. Practically, at the moment I just tune depending on the song I'm playing - the intonation won't be accurate across the board but I can usually dial it close enough for the notes I need, and bend up slightly when required. A pain, but it can work.

Baranik Meridian "Aurora" fan-fret - Celebes ebony / Colorado blue spruce
Tom Sands Model L fan-fret - Macassar ebony / European spruce
Hamblin GC - Macassar ebony / Italian spruce
Kronbauer SMB - Macassar ebony / Engelmann spruce
Baranik JX - Indian rosewood / German spruce
Sheppard GA - African blackwood / Bosnian spruce
Collings OM1
CA Cargo Raw | Ele
Old 05-10-2011, 01:06 PM

Default interesting

What guitar are you using right now for those open tunings?
Old 05-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Hi Colonel,

Regardless of what guitar you use, you might consider using a heavier string for the low E string to help you with intonation on those open tunings.

- Glenn
Old 05-10-2011, 03:04 PM

Do they make sets of strings where the bottom three are heavier guage, or do I have to mix and match?
Old 05-10-2011, 03:09 PM

they dont seem to get much love around here, but for what it's worth the Walden g3030 cedar/rosewood is an excellent fingerstyle guitar. It has a slightly longer 25.6 scale so works well for alternate tunings and is comfortably within your budget.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:58 PM

Long scale guitar would be perfect tool for this. Check into baritone guitars one of the vendors had for sale. I believe it was Shabby Chic guitars and there were two different scale lengths. I tune down to open C myself and my short scale T160 doesn't willingly oblige but it does the job for now. Been looking at Ovation longneck for this very reason. Used of course.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:01 PM

I have an Ovation longneck which I am selling because I'm not happy with the sound in the studio (mic'd). It sounds fine plugged in.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:02 PM

Default Here's mine

Guitar in hard case: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI4gMCwWE1w

In stand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AEcxChiaT8
Old 05-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Do they make sets of strings where the bottom three are heavier guage, or do I have to mix and match?
Hi Colonel…

Yes they make heavier sets of strings, and you may still need to mix-your-own.

The weight of your strings, the setup, the scale length of your guitar, the way the saddle is compensated, and how hard you are playing the strings all affect intonation.

This may be really simple, or complex. You may get away with just bumping up string weight. Or you may require a better setup or a separate guitar strung and setup just for open/altered tunings.

I have my 6th string intonated to a ''D'' rather than ''E'' these days to help with intonation in lowered tunings. It helps considerably. I also had to train myself to lighten up on my fingerings on those lowered strings.

Poor intonation is often as much a matter of over-pressing (fretting too hard) on the notes on the 5th and 6th strings as it is poor compensation.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-11-2011, 06:53 AM

Larry,

Like your stuff. Just gave it a listen.

Steve
Old 05-11-2011, 09:32 AM

Mu neighbor plays Hawaiian slack key and swears by his Rainsongs.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:45 PM

Rainsongs are tempting because of the carbon fiber necks, but David Wilcox, who plays almost exclusively in open tunings, still had to get Rainsong to make a special edition one that would compensate for intonation problems caused by his tunings.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WchEEJPubQ
Old 05-11-2011, 04:15 PM

To the OP - I believe I have seen Composite Acoustics baritone guitar for sale not long ago. Think it was on MacNichol forum.

I remember reading of people converting acoustic bass guitars into baritones - thing I wonder is how heavily braced the bodies are and a lot of room between frets to play chords in proper form - talk about some stretches.

Baritone isn't on my most important list right now, but I think in a year or two I might get one to put it through its paces.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion