The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-29-2017, 07:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Edwinson Performance C/F, V. 3.0, Show 'n Tell

Hi everybody! Here's a new guitar I want to show to you. It's a third-generation iteration of my EPC/F (Edwinson Performance Cutaway/Florentine that I built in several short bursts over the course of two years- sort of as a fill-in project when I was between builds, or just had a little spare time to tinker around.

As it happens, this is the final guitar completed during my "Birmingham Period". I am moving home and shop next week, after months of planning, and a lot of logistical challenges and agonizing self-reflection. But we'll leave that story for another post. Stay tuned- there's an exciting transition afoot here.

The main reason I wanted to show this guitar is because it is one of several recent builds that I think hits the center of the bulls-eye for its quality of tone, its innate musical nature, and playing response. Over the course of a diverse array of over a hundred builds, I've developed a signature sound that a lot of people really like; but that little bit of extra magic has sometimes been elusive. So I've been very deliberately trying to evolve my designs, always in search of that magical, entrancing, Holy Grail sound that only a few guitars in the world have. I had a EUREKA moment during a build in 2016 that I think may have turned that key.
I think this one may have all the potential to achieve that. Right from the start, I was very happy with the sound of this guitar. And its life as an instrument has only just begun; so the portents are good.

Here are some of the specifications...
The Performance model is the largest guitar I make, equivalent to a GA or Small Jumbo size; 16 3/16" wide in the lower bout.

Back and sides (and rear headstock plate) are Cocobolo Rosewood, sourced from Nicaragua;
The top is German Spruce;
Neck is a five-piece lamination of Honduran Mahogany, Cocobolo center, bordered by white Maple veneer lines.
Bindings, arm and rib bevels, fingerboard, sound port inlay, bridge, and front headstock are Macassar ebony, with wood veneer lines and cross-grain Zebrawood purflings.

This guitar has a 25.5" scale length, thirteen frets-to-body, twenty frets total;
The headstock is my new Omega design, inspired by Harvey Leach and Casimi guitars by Matthias Roux and Matthew Rice in South Africa- all of whom are brilliant, astoundingly talented builders, and exemplars of the very best of the post-modern lutherie aesthetic, in my opinion.
The nut width is 1 13/16", and the string spread @ saddle is 2 1/4". The neck is a medium/slim C-carve, with a 16" radius on the fingerboard.

This guitar is now owned by Jim H., from Virginia. Hopefully, he'll chime in here with his impressions on this guitar. After he received the guitar, we made an arrangement for a second custom build later on; so I'm guessing Jim sorta likes this guitar.
There is a little "Wabi-sabi" thing going on. Full reveal coming in another post.

Below, a few more photos...
Old 04-29-2017, 07:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Old 04-29-2017, 08:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Looks nice from all angles Steve! Good luck on your transition, and I hope it re-energizes your building. Are you headed back to Washington?

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 04-29-2017, 08:47 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Great looking guitar Steve! I like the wider purfling running up the fingerboard. Cool stuff!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 04-29-2017, 08:49 PM

Yowser Steve, you really knocked it out of the park on this one. Crickey she's a bute!!!!!! Good luck on the move next week, hope all goes smoothly.

Tom
Old 04-29-2017, 09:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Looks nice from all angles Steve! Good luck on your transition, and I hope it re-energizes your building. Are you headed back to Washington?
Hi, Ryan! You know all about how putting together a new shop can help you take everything to the next level. Same here. But, no, my return to the Pacific Northwest will be sometime later. This move is about 260 miles further south, to the east side of Mobile Bay, to a town called Fairhope. Great name, huh? I've reserved the big Penske truck for next Thursday until the following Tuesday, so I've got lots of heavy lifting to do.
I'll be documenting the transition and posting it here in the Custom Shop, so stay tuned...
Old 04-29-2017, 09:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Great looking guitar Steve! I like the wider purfling running up the fingerboard. Cool stuff!
Thanks, Mike! I'm really liking using 1/16" wide cross-grain Zebra for purflings lately.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Yowser Steve, you really knocked it out of the park on this one. Crickey she's a bute!!!!!! Good luck on the move next week, hope all goes smoothly.

Tom
Thanks a million, Tom. We'll be in touch shortly, and do a collab soon!
Old 04-29-2017, 09:45 PM

Brilliant as always...and constantly evolving in positive direction.

That's one "creamy" looking top on that beauty.

I will be thinking of you often and offering good vibes for your move, Brother.

jeff
Edwinson EPS "iCrucified" [2011]
Edwinson Consort "Spirit" [2016]
THGCo. 000-Concert "Chi Rho" [2019]
Taylor 514e FLTD [2013]
Taylor 714e [2016]
Martin OM-21 Ambertone [2017]
Old 04-29-2017, 10:17 PM

Very nice!
Old 04-29-2017, 11:43 PM

love it !, I've got to do one of those headstocks next time, just super cool AND I get a good excuse to skip the logo , lol....always look forward to seeing your stuff! thanks for sharing, J
Old 04-30-2017, 12:02 AM
Charter Member

Smile My goodness!

What a beauty! I am sure we all wish you an easy move and a great new shop!!!

Plus one on the COOL headstock. Looks beautiful, and I always like a straight pull on the strings over the nut!

This one has all the bells and whistles! I am completely sold on ports and bevels!

Comfort makes the gigs much easier!

Thanks for sharing and best on the move

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 04-30-2017, 04:15 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Gorgeous in every way. Bet it's comfy too. Congrats Steve ... on the guitar and the new shop. Hope your move goes smoothly.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Steve,

I was more than a little concerned when I saw your thread title, specifically the "C/F" designation. My heart dropped and I thought to myself, yikes, he's gone dark, very very dark, you know, the CARBON FIBER dark kind of thang

But oh what a relief to see all of that beautiful wood on your new iteration. So precisely executed in every detail. You never cease to amaze and inspire Steve. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work and creativity. Best of success on your move.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

I had the privilege of playing this guitar when Steve came down to Fairhope for a visit last month. I'm a sucker for Cocobolo, so it was "love at first sight" for me.

When I finally stopped staring at her with my eyes, and took her into my arms...my ears were treated to the most amazing sounds that I've ever heard from any guitar...ever.

She was shipped off the very next day, and I was surprised to find that there was a bit of sadness in my heart. This one was truly "one in a million" from my perspective, and I suspect that her new human is finding it difficult to put her down.

Great job, Steve...I'll see you next Friday.

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop