The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-15-2016, 07:07 PM

I love your work and the way you proceed Tony! Really stuning!
Old 05-15-2016, 07:31 PM

Is Brazillian cherry also known as Jatoba? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I almost picked up a board of it the other day that had a really nice landscape grain pattern almost like a tame Ziricote or Brazillian rosewood.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerberguitars View Post
Is Brazillian cherry also known as Jatoba? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I almost picked up a board of it the other day that had a really nice landscape grain pattern almost like a tame Ziricote or Brazillian rosewood.
Yes, Jatoba = Brazilian Cherry
Old 05-16-2016, 05:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerberguitars View Post
I would love to see the board you are describing. Jatoba, aka Brazilian Cherry, does not normally exhibit that type of grain pattern. I describe this particular piece that I am using in this thread in my initial post.

www.vinesguitars.com
Old 05-20-2016, 10:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

Here are more photos of the neck carving process. The tools that I use are shown in the photos as well. I learned neck carving from a book entitled "A Guitar Makers Manual" by Jim Williams. Enjoy.

www.vinesguitars.com
Old 05-20-2016, 11:23 AM

Jatoba can be a fantastic wood for instruments. I feel that as builders we have a great responsibility to establish "normalcy" of "not common" species choices in order to diversify and balance usage. Group think psychology related to expectations of species is what drives over usage, scarcity and eventually endangerment.

One post suggested it's hard to sell "alternate" species. It is my dream that one day that statement will never be made.

Anyways, real nice instrument.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:43 AM

Looking great!
If my Artisan is any indicator, Tony carves a terrific neck. SO EASY on the hands!
By the way, as I mentioned recently to Tony, my Artisan may be my best all around guitar for recording across standard and Dropped D tunings.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 05-20-2016, 12:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessupe View Post
Jatoba can be a fantastic wood for instruments. I feel that as builders we have a great responsibility to establish "normalcy" of "not common" species choices in order to diversify and balance usage. Group think psychology related to expectations of species is what drives over usage, scarcity and eventually endangerment.

One post suggested it's hard to sell "alternate" species. It is my dream that one day that statement will never be made.

I couldn't agree more!

www.vinesguitars.com
Old 05-20-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessupe View Post

I really like everything you've said here.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Looking great!
If my Artisan is any indicator, Tony carves a terrific neck. SO EASY on the hands!
By the way, as I mentioned recently to Tony, my Artisan may be my best all around guitar for recording across standard and Dropped D tunings.
Thanks a bunch...I really work hard on that aspect of my guitars. I place high priority on play-ability and tone!

www.vinesguitars.com
Old 05-20-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Vines View Post
After the body binding is done I install the side purfling.

this is the first time that I've ever seen someone install side purfling AFTER the binding. Kuddos for you for taking a different route. For a short time, I tried doing the binding exactly as you do it, by bending it along both axis for a better fit on a tight radius back. However, I grew weary of installing the side purfling first, then the binding, instead of doing it all at once with the purfling already glued to the binding. But I'm guessing that installing the purfling after the binding would be easier than what I was doing....? By the way, those binding cutting jigs look great! I would like to try one of those someday. I can imagine that they are fairly easy to maneuver.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Vines View Post
I would love to see the board you are describing. Jatoba, aka Brazilian Cherry, does not normally exhibit that type of grain pattern. I describe this particular piece that I am using in this thread in my initial post.
Unfortunately I didn't buy the board that I mentioned, with the landscape grain pattern. But next time I'm at the store, if it's still there, I might just get it.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:07 PM

[QUOTE=gerberguitars;4942467]this is the first time that I've ever seen someone install side purfling AFTER the binding.

I was thinking the same thing. Any trouble keeping the cutter square at the waist on the back? What kind of cutter do you use?
Travis
Old 05-20-2016, 06:46 PM

Tony some pretty cool techniques there, thanks for sharing. Can see the benefit of cutting the purfling channel afterwards... nice!
Old 05-20-2016, 08:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

This project is looking very nice as it comes along! When I think about bending the side purflings w/o the bindings attached to them my mind freezes.

As others said, landscaping and Jatoba are something I have not seen together. I wonder whether you are talking about rift to slab material where the grain lines make patterns? I am a bit of a Nazi where quartersawn wood is concerned, as many know by now, so if that is what you saw I say hold out for the quartered stuff.

I was moved to get down one of the 20 or so sets of the Jatoba I have put up ten years ago (which I do not expect to use, hint hint) and take a pic for you. Like Tony's appears to be, this stuff is very well quartered.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop