The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-04-2016, 10:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Tony Vines Guitars Build Brazilian Cherry/Carpathian

Hello All,
My name is Tony Vines. I am excited to start a build thread on one of my "SL" models. Before I get started I would like to give a bit of background info. I have been building guitars for 26 years. During the first ten years of my career, I was the owner of a full service repair shop in Kingsport, TN. I also studied under Audey Ratliff of Ratliff Mandolins for a year. During my journey of guitar making I have been fortunate to gather information from guitar makers John Greven, John Arnold, Kevin Ryan and many more. I have been a musician since I was 14 with most of my interest in the acoustic guitar and drums. In 2008 I began to spend more time with my guitars as a player. This “players perspective” has been the most influential part of my career. It greatly helps me understand the guitar from "the other side" of the instrument.
I love making guitars. It has always been my desire to be hands on in every process....from bending sides to carving necks by hand to the finishing process. I hope you enjoy this thread!
My wood choices...
Recently, I was at a local wood supplier just browsing through some of the exotics. Cynthia and Bob (the owners) have always obtained rare and unusual one-of-a-kind boards and species. I came across some boards that had the most iridescent, amber-ish color I'd ever seen. I picked it up...it was heavy and dense. I bought it, sawed it, sanded it, tapped it...I loved it even more. The wood is called "Dark Jatoba". Now I had heard of Jatoba (aka Brazilian Cherry) before and built a couple of guitars with it early in my career. I knew it would make a great sounding guitar. I know that Bruce Sexauer has had good results with it as well, BUT this Jatoba was different. The owners (Cynthia and Bob) at Jefferies Woodworks informed me that it was a salvaged tree and the only one that had ever been found with this unusual grain and color. This Brazilian Cherry is beautiful to my eye and the tap tone is great. The boards were only 4 inches wide so the challenge began. I love a good challenge. I have paired it with a Carpathian Spruce top and a 24.9 scale. Here we go....

Making some kerf lining and braces. The top braces are sorted by weight. The back braces are made close to final size and the top braces are made into blanks for later shaping after they are glued onto the top.

www.vinesguitars.com

Last edited by Tony Vines; 04-07-2016 at 08:26 AM. Reason: photos would not show unless I was logged in. I want others to be able to view the photos and not have to log in.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Wonderful to see you here, Tony! I'll be following this thread with great interest- because having seen you and your guitars at several of the big guitar shows, including Memphis, last June- I can state unequivocally that you build splendid, awesome, beautiful guitars. And they sound even better than they look! I'm a big fan of your work.
And for anybody here who doesn't know Tony Vines yet, he is also a wonderful, kind, generous human being. Just keep tuning in to this thread, and you'll see what I mean!
Best of good fortune with this project, Tony!
All the Best,
Steve
Old 04-04-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Wonderful to see you here, Tony! I'll be following this thread with great interest- because having seen you and your guitars at several of the big guitar shows, including Memphis, last June- I can state unequivocally that you build splendid, awesome, beautiful guitars. And they sound even better than they look! I'm a big fan of your work.
And for anybody here who doesn't know Tony Vines yet, he is also a wonderful, kind, generous human being. Just keep tuning in to this thread, and you'll see what I mean!
Best of good fortune with this project, Tony!
All the Best,
Steve
I'll second that!! Though I've never had the pleasure of meeting Tony, he's been super kind and generous to me with advice on my Artisan which he built in '07. I'll enjoy watching this build, Tony and thanks again!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 04-04-2016, 02:40 PM

I recall seeing you on the 13th fret some years back. Good to see you here.

Pat
Old 04-04-2016, 08:07 PM

Great to see you here Tony. I will be following along closely. You build some great guitars- as I experienced at the Memphis show.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

[QUOTE=Tony Vines;4888534]Hello All,
My name is Tony Vines. I am excited to start a build thread on one of my "SL" models. Before I get started I would like to give a bit of background info. I have been building guitars for 26 years. During the first ten years of my career, I was the owner of a full service repair shop in Kingsport, TN. I also studied under Audey Ratliff of Ratliff Mandolins for a year. During my journey of guitar making I have been fortunate to gather information from guitar makers John Greven, John Arnold, Kevin Ryan and many more. I have been a musician since I was 14 with most of my interest in the acoustic guitar and drums. In 2008 I began to spend more time with my guitars as a player. This “players perspective” has been the most influential part of my career. It greatly helps me understand the guitar from "the other side" of the instrument.
I love making guitars. It has always been my desire to be hands on in every process....from bending sides to carving necks by hand to the finishing process. I hope you enjoy this thread!
My wood choices...
Recently, I was at a local wood supplier just browsing through some of the exotics. Cynthia and Bob (the owners) have always obtained rare and unusual one-of-a-kind boards and species. I came across some boards that had the most iridescent, amber-ish color I'd ever seen. I picked it up...it was heavy and dense. I bought it, sawed it, sanded it, tapped it...I loved it even more. The wood is called "Dark Jatoba". Now I had heard of Jatoba (aka Brazilian Cherry) before and built a couple of guitars with it early in my career. I knew it would make a great sounding guitar. I know that Bruce Sexauer has had good results with it as well, BUT this Jatoba was different. The owners (Cynthia and Bob) at Jefferies Woodworks informed me that it was a salvaged tree and the only one that had ever been found with this unusual grain and color. This Brazilian Cherry is beautiful to my eye and the tap tone is great. The boards were only 4 inches wide so the challenge began. I love a good challenge. I have paired it with a Carpathian Spruce top and a 24.9 scale. Here we go....

Making some kerf lining and braces. The top braces are sorted by weight. The back braces are made close to final size and the top braces are made into blanks for later shaping after they are glued onto the top.]

Hello Tony...
You've piqued my curiosity with this (I'm assuming) kerf making jig, which appears to be designed and engineered by Willie Wonka himself...I swear that I saw it in his first movie being operated by an Oompah Loompah to make Everlasting Gobstoppers...

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 04-04-2016, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Oh yay! I've only played one Tony Vines guitar, but it was very very nice, so I'm looking forward to this thread.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:57 PM

[QUOTE=Wood Knot;4889366]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Vines View Post
Hello Tony...
You've piqued my curiosity with this (I'm assuming) kerf making jig, which appears to be designed and engineered by Willie Wonka himself...I swear that I saw it in his first movie being operated by an Oompah Loompah to make Everlasting Gobstoppers...

Joel
If I'm not mistaken, it's a semi-automatic kerf jig, you slide the table forward, which advances the lining, then when you pull the table back the pawl that advances the lining retracts. I've seen a couple versions for the bandsaw, even an automatic one. Pretty cool...
Old 04-05-2016, 10:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

[QUOTE=LouieAtienza;4889409]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Knot View Post

If I'm not mistaken, it's a semi-automatic kerf jig, you slide the table forward, which advances the lining, then when you pull the table back the pawl that advances the lining retracts. I've seen a couple versions for the bandsaw, even an automatic one. Pretty cool...
Yeah...that's exactly right. I loved the Willie Wonka comment...You had me cracking up! It is a very cool jig. I did reverse the motor on the table saw to get a cleaner cut (long story). I do a .046 cut with two fret slotting blades side by side. When they get too dull for ebony they still work fine on spanish cedar.

www.vinesguitars.com
Old 04-05-2016, 11:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you all for the kind comments....
Here's a look at the Brazilian Cherry with a bit of mineral spirits on it. Photos cannot do it justice.

Here's a photo of my aluminum side bender.

When I bend sides I also bend the binding. First,the binding is bent to follow the profile of the side then bent along with the side to the shape of the guitar. When it comes time to put the binding on the back it goes right on without forcing it into shape. The binding is Amazon Rosewood.

Here's the soundport being installed.

www.vinesguitars.com
Old 04-06-2016, 06:59 AM

Interesting that they would call that Dark Jatoba because the Jatoba I have seen in the past was substantially darker then that! It looks great though. Is it really heavy stuff too? I was perusing at one of my local hardwood suppliers a few months ago when I ran into their stock of Jatoba and it was insanely heavy stuff. I could see that it would make beautiful guitars.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Interesting that they would call that Dark Jatoba because the Jatoba I have seen in the past was substantially darker then that! It looks great though. Is it really heavy stuff too? I was perusing at one of my local hardwood suppliers a few months ago when I ran into their stock of Jatoba and it was insanely heavy stuff. I could see that it would make beautiful guitars.
I have never seen any Brazilian Cherry this dark. The stuff I have seen has always been a bit more pink without the dark grain lines. I guess it can vary. This cut was very heavy too. It reminded me of African Blackwood both in density and tap tone....awesome!

www.vinesguitars.com
Old 04-06-2016, 10:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Tony,

Its good to see you back on the forum again. Looking forward to seeing your build unfold.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks Tim!

www.vinesguitars.com
Old 04-06-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Vines View Post
I have never seen any Brazilian Cherry this dark. The stuff I have seen has always been a bit more pink without the dark grain lines. I guess it can vary. This cut was very heavy too. It reminded me of African Blackwood both in density and tap tone....awesome!
Perhaps it's fresh cut surface forms a rich patina in time? Next time I am up at my hardwood store I think I may buy some.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop