The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-30-2015, 04:21 AM

Dave, Looking good! Keep them photos coming.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:58 AM

This "first Pine experiment" Size-1 was made from a plank of White Pine found in my late Dad's pile. I made it to memorialize him & his wood, not expecting a lot, but it was amazing, a very sensitive & sweet tone.

This was the second White Pine build, a plain 00-size. The color comes from the amber French polish. I left the top a bit thicker and it came out with a "piano tone". Sold to a guy in NY.

I know I waste too much time on these wierd-wood guitars, 'cause they can't really be sold for much money. It never has been about the money. Good thing huh? I have a great wife who allows me a lot of freedom.

Last edited by Dave in Tejas; 11-30-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubade Acoustics View Post
i have built 8 or 9 out of Southern Yellow pine and they all are stable and sound great. Have done a resonator with a SYP top but not any pull on it. I can tell you it is hard as nails to bend. 350 degrees and twice in the blanket just to get it to hold a shape. It was perfectly quartered though. I would not hesitate to use it for a top on one.
This is the most beautiful guitar art I've ever seen. I'd love to own it.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:40 PM

Some of the Red Spruce that I use almost looks like Yellow Pine, except it is a bit better suited for guitars, traditionally.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:50 AM

Just finished this Long-leaf Yellow Pine Size-1. It has a great sensitive tone.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:01 AM

Good, great, even amazing sounding instruments can be made from the most unlikley of materials, so I would not let species dictate if I used something or not. We want good characteristics, Density, mass, radiation, dampening, elasticity etc. but above all else, as Bruce mentions, the structural qualities of the material itself are most paramount. Pine goes from stiff to flabby VERY quickly depending on the grain orientation.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Tejas View Post
This "first Pine experiment" Size-1 was made from a plank of White Pine found in my late Dad's pile. I made it to memorialize him & his wood, not expecting a lot, but it was amazing, a very sensitive & sweet tone.

This was the second White Pine build, a plain 00-size. The color comes from the amber French polish. I left the top a bit thicker and it came out with a "piano tone". Sold to a guy in NY.

I know I waste too much time on these wierd-wood guitars, 'cause they can't really be sold for much money. It never has been about the money. Good thing huh? I have a great wife who allows me a lot of freedom.
What wood is the fretboard?
Old 06-21-2016, 11:48 AM

Padauk
There are two kinds of Padauk, the kind that bends, and the hard kind that doesn't bend, this is the hard kind.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:24 PM

I've got a stash of what I believe to be Southern Yellow Pine from the siding of an old barn going on close to 100 years now. Some of the pieces were about 18 inches wide so it was a huge old tree. Perfectly quarter sawn. I experimented with it and was wowed by the tone of the guitar. It is very heavy and dense stuff. I only use it for parlor guitars and the soundboards are very very thin.

Here's one with a 3 piece top, knots and all

Old 06-21-2016, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

It is absolutely beautiful. I had one thought from "left field", but wondered if the abundance of resin in this species affects vibrational response in any way. Having built things with SYP, it can sure gum up tools and sand paper. Building with SYP timbers, I've found them to drip resin for quite some time too. I guess placing veneers in a hot enough kiln could set the resin.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

This is a super cool thread. I was given an old home that was built in Yellowpine, Alabama in 1875. It was built using heart pine that was milled at the local, and family-owned, sawmill. The home was no longer habitable, but the roof was intact, and all of the wood was dry. It took a week, but I deconstructed it, and ended up with quite a supply of true-dimensional 2x4, 2x6, 2x8, 2x10, 2x12 and 6x8's. It has been sitting in a barn at my wife's family farm for a few years now. I intend to have some of it milled into flooring and ceiling for the upstairs room over my shop, but now I'm intrigued at the prospect of using some of it for soundboard material, or back and side sets. I'll have to sort through it and pull some really nice vertical-grained boards out, before I take it to be milled.

It's tight-grained old-growth (obviously because of the timeframe that it was cut-1875), so I'd expect that it had begun growing by the time our country became our country. The resins have set up and crystallized, and the smell is intoxicating when it's opened up. Thanks to you folks for helping me realize the potential for guitar building with this wood.

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS

Last edited by Joel Teel; 06-23-2016 at 06:26 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Knot View Post
This is a super cool thread. I was given an old home that was built in Yellowpine, Alabama in 1875. It was built using heart pine that was milled at the local, and family-owned, sawmill. The home was no longer habitable, but the roof was intact, and all of the wood was dry. It took a week, but I deconstructed it, and ended up with quite a supply of true-dimensional 2x4, 2x6, 2x8, 2x10, 2x12 and 6x8's. It has been sitting in a barn at my wife's family farm for a few years now. I intend to have some of it milled into flooring and ceiling for the upstairs room over my shop, but now I'm intrigued at. The prospect of using some of it for soundboard material, or back and side sets. I'll have to sort through it and pull some really nice vertical-grained boards out, before I take it to be milled.

It's tight-grained old-growth (obviously because of the timeframe that it was cut-1875), so I'd expect that it had begun growing by the time our country became our country. The resins have set up and crystallized, and the smell is intoxicating when it's opened up. Thanks to you folks for helping me realize the potential for guitar building with this wood.
I would highly recommend that you separate out the vertical grained stuff for future use

Someone mentioned earlier about sap (I think). It's true that fresh cut SYP is really sticky with sap and also a very heavy wood but the stuff I have which is about 100 years old and the stuff it sounds like you have is essentially torrified the way nature intended it to be
Old 06-23-2016, 06:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I would highly recommend that you separate out the vertical grained stuff for future use

Someone mentioned earlier about sap (I think). It's true that fresh cut SYP is really sticky with sap and also a very heavy wood but the stuff I have which is about 100 years old and the stuff it sounds like you have is essentially torrified the way nature intended it to be
"Really stick with sap" is an understatement...
We just had a SYP tree break off in s storm last Friday, so we went ahead and cut it down. Within hours, the entire stump round was covered in a 1/4" thick pancake of sap.

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop