The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-27-2016, 04:19 PM

Hey Mau,

I listened to this first thing this morning and wasn't quite sure what I thought when it started out, not warm and fuzzy, I can say that...then the middle section started and I really started getting on board and by the end you had me. The beginning is definitely dark so I am glad you changed it up in the middle.

This is one of the more complex/deep tunes you have done, at least for me.

Thanks.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Solitude held me though out the entire song, Mau. Intimate, provocative (to the ears)in some parts and certainly reflective! Some beautiful resolves in there too. The middle section leading to the end almost had me thinking "Cascading Solitude"! Really nice section there. As always, your genius and playing skill live in this song.....and so many others! My thanks!
Hi Fred,

I'm glad you enjoyed the chord progression. I was aiming for an intimate setting with a bit of tension -- so your description seems to fit with what I had in mind.

Thanks for listening to the entire recording!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Mau, I find Solitude to be beautifully melodic and captivating, not requiring patience at all to listen to in its entirety. As a matter of fact, I find I am drawn to this one for some reason, have listened more than once, and anticipate listening periodically. Thank you for writing and sharing your talent!
Thank you for listening, Mike. Perhaps you enjoy a bit of dissonance/tension? For the first part, I wanted to move away from my usual "easy listening" melodies -- so I placed my fingers in random positions until I liked what I heard. Playing in various alternate tunings allows me to forget about theory and simply focus on the sounds that I want to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Hey Mau,

I listened to this first thing this morning and wasn't quite sure what I thought when it started out, not warm and fuzzy, I can say that...then the middle section started and I really started getting on board and by the end you had me. The beginning is definitely dark so I am glad you changed it up in the middle.

This is one of the more complex/deep tunes you have done, at least for me.

Thanks.
Thanks for your kind words, Tom.

I was aiming for a minimalist and cold approach -- especially in the first section but even during the "warmer" parts I still included a few elements of tension (e.g. the piece does not resolve entirely at the end).

My previous tune was harmonically straightforward so I figured I needed to do something different for a change.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Hi Mau,
Very nice song. I'm kind of at a loss as to why you are thanking folks for listening until the end; for me this is a high point of what you've shared on the forum.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 06-28-2016, 06:32 PM

That was lovely somehow. My cat curled up at my feet to take in the listen. She is very discerning when it comes to sound. She will often leave the room when I play. She gave you her blessing. So do I.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Hi Mau,
Very nice song. I'm kind of at a loss as to why you are thanking folks for listening until the end; for me this is a high point of what you've shared on the forum.
Hi Chuck,

I'm always a bit insecure when I publish a new composition and it's even worse when it's a semi-experimental piece. That being said, I spent quite a bit of time working on the chord progression and I'm glad that you enjoyed the result -- thanks so much for posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
That was lovely somehow. My cat curled up at my feet to take in the listen. She is very discerning when it comes to sound. She will often leave the room when I play. She gave you her blessing. So do I.
Two supporters in one post -- I'm really spoiled! Please remind your cat to like and share...

On a more serious note, thank you for listening.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:18 PM

Default Wonderful Playing

Gosh, Mau, you're such a good player and composer.

Your music is art. It makes me pause and look at the world in a deeper way.

Thank you for sharing, and well done!

I'm an unmet friend of the honest, hardworking, knowledgeable guitar builder.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkuane View Post
Gosh, Mau, you're such a good player and composer.

Your music is art. It makes me pause and look at the world in a deeper way.

Thank you for sharing, and well done!
Thank you for your generous compliment.

I'm usually in a fairly emotional state when I write a piece of music and become "normal" again once I'm finished.

I haven't seen you post in a very long time and it's good to see that your signature still shows two Petros guitars...
Old 07-04-2016, 09:17 AM

"Solitude" hauntingly beautiful I enjoyed it thanks for posting.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Definitely a favorite of mine.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge View Post
"Solitude" hauntingly beautiful I enjoyed it thanks for posting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlxnply View Post
Definitely a favorite of mine.
Thank you, gents.

This was one of my slightly more "introspective" pieces and I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:46 AM

I like it Mau. I hear a bit more "polyphony" on this performance; the melody really stands out from the supporting notes...
Old 07-06-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
I like it Mau. I hear a bit more "polyphony" on this performance; the melody really stands out from the supporting notes...
Thank you, Louie. The structure of this piece (at least the first 2m30s) was definitely influenced by my piano studies -- hence the "polyphony" that you pointed out.

I'm currently taking a break from composing and have been practicing Andy McKee's "For My Father". New recording in a week or two...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop