The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-02-2016, 02:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Mile End Guitar Shop in Montreal

For the most part I've only posted on this forum in regards to my current builds and haven't talked much about the shop I work in. About 8 years ago, my friend Jeremy Clark (another de Jonge apprentice) and I decided to set up in Montreal after leaving Sergei's. We went in with the idea of sharing not only space and tools, but with the goal of establishing a community spot for concerts, art exhibits, and space enough to teach luthiery and host visiting builders as well. So far, it's been a fantastic trip! We're up to 8 members now, have helped several builders transition from hobbyist to full-time, and have held dozens of shop concerts over the years where 100% of the proceeds have always gone to the musicians. As far as we know, we've established a incredibly unique situation in the guitar world and particularly in the high-end/boutique realm.

As is too often the case, we're unfortunately being forced out of our current space to make way for corporate offices. Despite the unbelievable headache and costs involved, we're seizing the opportunity to expand not only in space and members, but hope to continue growing our community involvement as well. If you or anyone you know might be interested in lending us a helping hand during this tricky time of transition, we've set up a kickstarter campaign and any support would be very much appreciated!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ve-and-improve

Also, if you're curious about the history of the shop and who's involved, the kickstarter video gives some nice background info.

Thanks for looking!

Mike

(and reading through the FAQ I think this qualifies as an appropriate kickstarter post in the appropriate place, but if not I'll take it down right quick!)
instagram
Old 06-02-2016, 05:11 PM

Mike, great idea, and great video! Lots of luck in the move!
Old 06-02-2016, 05:56 PM

The community that you have built is a beautiful thing. What you are doing as a group is not only good for you guys, but the artists around you. Because it is so, I'm confident you will get everything you need to make the move and make the shop a better place to work. Thanks for sharing the video. I'm a little jealous of your co-op. I'm sure it's an inspiring place to go to work every day.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks guys -- we're pretty proud of what we've built up over the past 8 years!

Mike
instagram
Old 06-04-2016, 07:42 AM

That's a great idea, best of luck with the new location.

I do have one question though, is that you with bare feet in the shop.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yeah, most of us go barefoot in the shop -- it's a carry over from when Jeremy and I were still at Sergei's and living in the country (plus I find it a whole heck of a lot more comfortable). Though I should point out that Sergei is almost never barefoot in the shop. He always takes off his mocassins leaving the shop, goes up to the house barefoot, then puts them back on inside -- even in the depths of a Quebec winter!
instagram
Old 06-04-2016, 04:01 PM

I can't tell you how cool I think this is. I belong to a maker space here in town, but even though we have a full wood shop, the focus is really on robotics. Being a part of a space dedicated to guitar makers would be epic.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:10 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Awesome concept. I would love to see photos!
Old 06-07-2016, 10:45 AM

This is awesome! What a cool and unique way to go about a career in lutherie. Love the idea, guys! Good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop