The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-17-2009, 12:25 PM

Default That fingerboard inlay . . . continued

Hi guys, I started a thread about a fingerboard inlay that was in progress some time ago and some of you were wondering what it would look like with the frets in. Well, it's finished (although the frets have yet to be dressed), and Bruce sent a picture of the fretboard my way. Personally, I think it's amazing.

Here's what Bruce had to say:
"This design is inspired from old West gun engraving in keeping with the 1880’s theme of the guitar itself. It stays in the style we already used in the rosette and buttons etc. The relatively new concept of running a mirror image down both sides of the FB, in deference to the more traditional “down the center of the FB” designs we have seen for years, I thought was clever indeed! As the design first evolved, we were designing it without any regard for the typical marker positions. Then we refined it so it made sense with regards to where these positions are. I then purposely decided it would probably look really nice with those markers actually in there so that the purposefulness was even more evident. The perfect round shapes help to contrast the rather florid design bringing intent back into focus. After all, this is still a guitar. In addition, these abalone pieces help tie together the abalone on the peghead and the rosette rings of abalone. The center of the FB without them seemed a little naked. After the gold frets are in, the design takes on an even different look and will all tie together quite nicely."

Link:

In case you're wondering, the frets are made from a harder alloy that looks like gold.

I'm an unmet friend of the honest, hardworking, knowledgeable guitar builder.

Last edited by tkuane; 11-17-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:40 PM

Location: Boney Mountain, just up Sycamore Canyon From Malibu

That's amazing - really a piece of artwork in the form of a fingerboard. Love to see the finished guitar - bet you feel the same way!
Baranik CX Mad Rose/Western Red Cedar
Old 11-17-2009, 12:47 PM

I would love to own this guitar, but it's not mine. I already have a custom GC from the father and son team (which I love!).

Bruce is bringing this T13 #13 to Newport where it's available for sale. A real collector's piece. I would consider getting it if I wasn't halfway around the world away from home. I barely have enough time to play 2 guitars with medical school and all. It's still very tempting though.

Hopefully, I'll get a chance in the future to turn a room into a guitar room. A guy can dream . . .

Last edited by tkuane; 11-17-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:14 PM

Location: Boney Mountain, just up Sycamore Canyon From Malibu

Know what you mean about enough time to play ... I don't do justice to the ones I have, and I don't have as good an excuse as you (med school)! This one will be amazing looking, that's for sure. Thanks for posting!
Baranik CX Mad Rose/Western Red Cedar
Old 11-17-2009, 02:29 PM

That is just spectacular.

Petros, Paragon, National, Martin, Rainsong, and Santa Cruz
Old 11-29-2009, 05:24 AM

Hi guys, this guitar has been sold! It's not finished yet, but I seen pictures of the Brazilian back and sides and it's beautiful. Very even tight grain. I hope the new owner takes good care of this one and plays it lots . . . it's a true masterpiece.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:07 PM

Beautiful

I wonder what the bridge looks like?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop