The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2016, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
So much time, money and energy went into keeping these guitars original; it seems sacrilege to take a drill to it.
You don't think folks from those years gone by didn't put take a drill to their guitars?

If you want to keep your guitar in absolute, original mint condition, then by all means leave it in the case. I don't mean any disrespect, but these instruments were meant to be used in accordance to the choice of their owners, and not of the collective opinion.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post
If it were MY new guitar, that I bought to play and enjoy, I'd put in a strap pin and not think twice about it. I find a strap at the headstock uncomfortable. (Some people don't, obviously.)

If we were talking about an actual, vintage, 1937 Martin in pristine condition, I'd probably have a different feeling about it. But we're not.
+1, but maybe not even then.

It has a pickup too
Old 05-26-2016, 01:01 PM

I had mine drilled because I don't like the way the guitar hangs when tied around the headstock. Plus all that extra stress on the headstock . . . kidding.

Do what makes you comfortable physically and emotionally. It's not a life or death decision either way.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 05-26-2016, 01:15 PM

Pin it on your head
Old 05-26-2016, 01:16 PM

I would never ever put a strap pin on the heel of an acoustic. Never ever, it's a mortal sin.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post
If it were MY new guitar, that I bought to play and enjoy, I'd put in a strap pin and not think twice about it. I find a strap at the headstock uncomfortable. (Some people don't, obviously.)

If we were talking about an actual, vintage, 1937 Martin in pristine condition, I'd probably have a different feeling about it. But we're not.
Yeah, seems like comfort for a guitar you may have for life far outweighs the possibility of having a harder time to sell it or slightly decreasing resale value.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AronW View Post
If it were mine I'd add a strap button. If I bought a real 1937 Martin, I'd still add a strap button.

They're meant to be played, so do to them what they need so that you can play them
Yep that heel can support a strap button. They've been using them forever. It's your call. But you did ask.

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 05-26-2016, 04:26 PM

I would only put a pin in the heel as a very last desperate resort. There are some cheap devices (e.g. from Planet Waves) that help attach the strap easily to the headstock. Maybe start with this and see how it feels for a few weeks and if you can't get used to it you can still modify the guitar permanently.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:31 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
I like pins on the heel. It's just how I use guitars. I've installed them on guitars from the 1930's through 2014. Here's the pin I installed on my D-28A.

I've put 3 in, Seagull, Republic and Martin, same spot. I'm not a fan of the headstock tie - gets in the way and too much stress in my mind.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-26-2016, 05:16 PM

I prefer strap buttons in the heel of the neck, also, and have them on all my guitars, regardless of their price point. Personally, I don't find attaching a strap to the headstock to be uncomfortable, but I do find the balance to be a bit awkward when the guitar is strapped on that way. I can't just play the way I normally do, without even thinking about the guitar's position: with the strap attached to the headstock I have to always be mindful of where the guitar is and how it's angled.

I'm sure that's something I could become accustomed to, but here's the point: I don't WANT to become accustomed to it. I like the way the guitar balances and plays with a strap button on the treble side of the heel of the neck. So that's what works for me.

As for installing a strap button on your new guitar, so long as it's done properly it's not going to have any negative impact on the value of the guitar. Putting a strap button on the heel of the neck is probably THE most common guitar modification that there is. If this was a rare pre-war Martin in exquisite, pristine condition, then I would hesitate before making any modifications. But it's a modern instrument. You normally play guitar with a strap attached to the heel of the neck, so that's what you should do with this one, too.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-26-2016, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

I like heel pins, having said that, I play in a duo and we always sit. I think the heel pin position keeps the guitar from moving around.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:13 PM

I use strap buttons on the treble side of all my guitars. I dont like tying off to the headstock. I did have a little trouble deciding what to do with attaching a strap to my Cordoba nylon. My back was starting to bother me using a foot rest and I did not want to use one of the other devises that raise the neck up and rest on the leg. The heel is a little thin on these crossovers so I was a bit hesitant about drilling into it, but I wanted to use a strap to keep the neck up while seated. I saw someone had posted an idea about using a simple suction cup, the type used to hang stained glass ornaments on window panes. So one day and one dollar later my problem was solved. I use a Levys cotton non slip strap with leather ends. The one end attaches to the bottom end pin, the other slips over the small metal hook on the cup. I left in on for three weeks, never fell off. When I took it off there were no marks on the guitar. ( I attached it to the side of the body, there is a cutaway there and it fits perfect. I dont know how fussy you are about things but it seems to work for me.And in the future if after constant use it does leave a mark, I dont care. I bought the guitar to play and use as much as possible.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

You asked for opinions, so here goes.

If I just bought a brand new Authentic 1937, I would never put a strap peg on it. I also would not install a pickup. I would buy one for the acoustic presence and tone I paid handsomely for.

While many keep guitars for years, many also do not, and they attempt to resell them.

If you decide to resell it some day, many of us will NOT buy your guitar with a strap peg installed. Many Would buy your guitar with the peg properly installed.

That is your risk and decision to make. Pegs can always be installed, but you cannot restore the hole perfectly if you remove them.

If I can afford an Authentic, I can also afford a cheaper, good sounding guitar to stand and perform with.

If you install one and want to sell it some day, I am not in the population of potential buyers. I play every guitar I own a lot, but some I will not drill more holes into them. My most expensive guitar with a strap peg is a Taylor Koa K26ce. I also have a Taylor 655 12-string with the strap peg. I also have a Martin HD-28V with a strap peg. These serve my needs for stand up performance for much less than the price of an Authentic.

I sit to play everything else I have.

Perhaps since you are publicly questioning the installation, deep down you may already know your answer. If I were not sure about doing it at least give it time. You can always install one later.

It is YOUR guitar to do with as you please, of course.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:48 PM
Get off my lawn kid

As an alternative to both, they have those clips that hook inside the sound hole. The strap goes under the guitar and the clips to the hole.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 07-07-2022 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:01 PM

I would try tying it off and see how that goes...the strap button is not reversible...

Yep

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion