The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2016, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Mike;

Well, you went ahead and did it, didn't you? I still remember when, just after getting your first Goodall, that you spoke so fondly of that redwood topped GC of your friend's...

It IS a beauty, too! I'm still entranced to the point of distraction by the sound of my Redwood/mahogany Goodall Grand Concert, so I absolutely understand your current adoration! I would have thought that, after 5 years, I would grow "used to" the sound of my Goodall, but I still am amazed at what James and Luke did with that guitar, and what they do with EVERY Goodall I have played!

I think that it's still just James and Luke who are doing the building, by the way... Jean working the front-office doesn't qualify her as a "builder"... funny, when they built mine for me, I asked if all of them would sign a sticker/label inside the guitar... and Jean refused! She said her name doesn't belong inside the guitars they build, despite my protestations... and then James said he would not "sign" anything because he hates his signature... so I settled for a special label inside, with an inscription from the Goodalls...

Although I had heard of Reverend guitars prior to coming to Corvallis, I'd never played one or held one... and since I have had a chance to familiarize myself with them, I can only wonder why in the world they aren't favorites of every player! They truly are amazing electric guitars, even at twice the price they'd still beat out any Fender or Gibson. It's only the "brand-slave" mentality that prevents them from being much more widely played and acknowledged. Yours looks like a beauty, too!

Enjoy those fabulous guitars, Mike; may you play them for many, many hours, in both health and good circumstance!
Thank you John! That is so cool that James did a special label for you! We are both so blessed to not only own these wonderful Goodall's, but to have had the privilege of meeting and getting to know the Goodall family. Such fine, fine people. I hope some day to be a good enough player to be worthy of owning these fine guitars!

And I wish you many hours, no YEARS, of playing your Goodall in good health and pleasant times.

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.
- Edith Wharton, writer
Old 05-27-2016, 02:53 AM

Congratulations Mike! Both of these guitars are simply beautiful - and adding them to your Goodall CJC Brazilian gets you one incredible stable of guitars.

I remember you saying that the CJC could get a little heavy when playing at church for extended periods, does the Redwood GC resolve that problem?

I myself am VERY curious about redwood topped guitars. So hard to find one to test out in person. But your description seems to support what I've read and heard - it has a warm tone like cedar yet has enough stiffness to handle strumming. With EIR it must be lush. I love Jean's eloquent description! Great quote.

Anyway, you know life is good when you are confronted with this daily question, "Hmmm, do I play my Brazilian Goodall or my Redwood Goodall?" ENJOY!

I'll be very interested to see how your electric guitar journey goes. From what I hear, the only thing that's more overwhelming that GAS is PAS (Pedal Acquisition Syndrome). Good luck with that.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

I am going to miss this one.

What a beauty it was for me over the years. I used this one more than any other Goodall I have.
I have recordings so I will be able to hear it again. The tone is wonderful.
Redwood pairs great with IR. Lush yet with excellent clarity and headroom.
I will miss it.

So glad a friend was made in the process.
Besides sharing the same first name, Mike, we both have other things in common, including two great Goodall's each.

I also took Mike's lead and I bought a Reverend Flatroc and it's big frets, thick (satin fast) neck is the best I have ever played for the money.
It feels to me to be better than a Fender.
As far as Reverend models I wish I waited for his report. His Double Agent II sports a Reverend P90 which are very musical.
I might put some SD P90's in my Flatroc?

Mike, my Goodall friend, play that redwood with health and joy!

Last edited by tippy5; 05-28-2016 at 12:22 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion