The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-28-2016, 12:31 AM

Default Ngd: Yamaha FG820

I've owned and played regularly an fg720s and love it. I have other more expensive guitars but learn new songs on the Fg and once I have it down I bring out the more expensive ones. So, I had to get the 820 to see what the fuss was about. I thought that there is no way that it would compare to my 6 year played in upgraded (Tusq saddle and pins) 720. The 820 arrived, I tuned it with stock strings still on, and was blown away! The bass is deeper and louder and resonates longer. I thought my 720 had good bass but it decays much quicker. The 820 is very "Martin like". The strings are very balanced across the spectrum. Also the 820 is noticeably louder than the 720. I'll be looking for a new home for my 720 as can't seem to stop playing the 820. The sound is full, rich and loud and I can't wait to see what it'll sound like in a year as my 720 improved greatly in the time I've owned it. Great for learning, practicing, or taking to the fire or the party. This is a guitar that I would immediately replace if lost, my others I'd probably look around first....

Breedlove Cascade C25/cre
Fender PM1 Deluxe
Yamaha ll16R A.R.E.
Martin Dread Jr E Sitka

Eastman Cello
Old 05-28-2016, 04:09 AM

Congrats. I love the new 800 series.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:36 AM

Congrats on the new 820.

I have one also and love it.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:41 AM

My local Mom n Pop said they would give me "something" for my FS 720 when I bought the 820....soon......"something" would be good enough as I would probably give it away anyway.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:30 AM

same here, have a 730 and took the $189 deal on the 820...WOW! this really has to be the best sounding guitar in it's price range, why didn't Yamaha go with scalloped bracing before this? My FG730 is for sale. Let me add I tried a Recording King dreadnaught that was all solid Mahogany wood with Engleman top with Satin finish and priced at $289, the Yamaha is much better, more balanced sound with BASS, so don't let the word "laminate" scare you off, I also have an LL6 that is laminate that is unbelievable great sounding and LOUD. I've been a motorcycle guy and mechanic back to mid sixties, I've never seen Yamaha dip below a certain level of quality in bikes or musical instruments, amps, etc.

Last edited by wayfaring; 05-28-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfaring View Post
Let me add I tried a Recording King dreadnaught that was all solid Mahogany wood with Engleman top with Satin finish and priced at $289, the Yamaha is much better, more balanced sound with BASS, so don't let the word "laminate" scare you off,
Not to go on a detour but thanks for that info because I've been weighing one of the Yamahas against the new RK. Today I played an OOO model at my Guitar Center but I'm used to a dreadnought. I didn't care for the chunkier neck but it sounded good.

So for me I'm thinking the FG800 (to save a few bucks) or the FG820 with the mahogany b/s because I don't have that in any of my three guitars ... well, two not counting the Esteban which I don't what it is made of.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 05-28-2016, 01:09 PM

this is how the guitar was listed, "Recording King RD-A9M All-Solid Wood EZ Tone Series Plus Dreadnought Acoustic", I thought with lack of gloss finish and ornate binding along with a bone saddle and nut that the money went into sound, I may have gotten a poor one, the bass 6th string had a thud and decayed immediately, FG820 is hard to put down and stop playing
Old 05-28-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfaring View Post
this is how the guitar was listed, "Recording King RD-A9M All-Solid Wood EZ Tone Series Plus Dreadnought Acoustic",
Yes, that's the one I am (or was) interested in. I tried the ROS-G9M at Guitar Center. I'm guessing it's a special version of the ROS-A9M because it has a pickguard and I think it has a gloss finish (hence the "G" in the designation). It's not listed on the RK site and I contacted RK and the rep said he or she knew nothing about it and that it "may have been a typo." Well, no typo because that is what was listed on the interior label.

My guitar strings were fine so maybe you got a dud. I wonder what the QC is on these models but the Yamahas, as far as I know and tested and heard, seem to be pretty much OK for QC.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 05-28-2016, 01:50 PM

I found the workmanship to be pleasing as was the action, it was the unbalanced sound with lacking bass that made it unacceptable, I have played an Eastman AC120 which is also an inexpensive (although around a $100 more) satin finish dreadnaught without a pickguard but has laminate sides and back, I easily preferred the Eastman
Old 05-28-2016, 02:17 PM

I see. The RK I played seemed to have an even sound. I do remember it had good projection for an 000 guitar.

However, that neck may be a deal breaker for me. I don't think it would be comfortable for me for extended playing. Yes, I have small(ish) hands.

I've played the FG800 but not the FG820 so I'm wondering how much better it is with the main difference being nato/owhatever vs. mahogany laminate for the back and sides. I know the FG820 has cream-colored body and fingerboard binding where the FG800 has black. There also are more finishes for the FG820.

I like to play something before I order it.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion