The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-14-2018, 04:28 PM

Default Fishman Loudbox Mini Placement

For those of you who use a Fishman Loudbox Mini, where do you place the amp to avoid feedback but still allow you to use as both a main and monitor?

I usually use a SoloAmp, but would like to use the Mini for a nursing home gig. I have the Mini on a basic amp stand maybe 18” off the floor and tilted back. My mic is a Shure Beta SM87a, acoustic guitar with K&K.

I was just playing with the setup in my basement, and had a heck of a time with feedback. I usually play standing up, but have the mic setup for sitting right now, so that might be part of the issue. Any insight would be appreciated!
Old 01-14-2018, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Default Fishman Loudbox Mini Placement

I use mine for small room gigs and home practice. In both, I keep it about 2 feet off the floor and behind to my left side about 3 feet away. I’ve experienced no feedback issues.
Takamine F-451S 12 String (1977)
Old 01-14-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMamaJ40 View Post
For those of you who use a Fishman Loudbox Mini, where do you place the amp to avoid feedback but still allow you to use as both a main and monitor?

I usually use a SoloAmp, but would like to use the Mini for a nursing home gig. I have the Mini on a basic amp stand maybe 18” off the floor and tilted back. My mic is a Shure Beta SM87a, acoustic guitar with K&K.

I was just playing with the setup in my basement, and had a heck of a time with feedback. I usually play standing up, but have the mic setup for sitting right now, so that might be part of the issue. Any insight would be appreciated!
Is it the guitar or the mic that's feeding back? Does the phase switch help?
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's
Old 01-14-2018, 08:52 PM

It’s the mic, which was surprising, given it has a tight pattern. I hadn’t thought about phase.

bil, I’ll try that placement. Once my ears stop ringing!
Old 01-16-2018, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Default Fishman Placement

What I have found as a rule of thumb is to try and keep your body between your guitar / mic and your amp. Your body seems to create a wall to help any feedback issues. At least it works for me.
2014 American Standard Telecaster (Maple Board)Mystic Blue
2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster (Rosewood Board)
1994 Fender 40th Anniversary Stratocaster Caribbean Mist
2011 Martin JC-16RE 50TH Anniversary
2004 Martin J-15
2011 Gibson ES-335 Cherry Red
1993 Continental TriCone
Old 01-17-2018, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
What I have found as a rule of thumb is to try and keep your body between your guitar / mic and your amp. Your body seems to create a wall to help any feedback issues. At least it works for me.
^^^ this. I've also found that angling it rather than straight behind the mic to be effective. I'm using a Loudbox Artist, but the principles should still apply.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:28 AM

Don't forget that you might be getting feedback because of the room or you position in it. Just because you're having a problem in your basement does not mean you will have the same problem at the gig. On the other hand, the room at the gig may give you other problems. Feedback is really a very simple thing, even though the way it comes and goes can seem mysterious. It all a matter the sound from the speaker being loud enough at the mic to, well, feed back into the system. So think about the shape of your mic's pickup pattern, where its points of sensitivity are pointed (remember that hypercardioid mics will pick up sound directly from the rear--their null spots are at an angle to the rear). How is sound reflecting in the room (low ceiling? reflective surfaces? are you in a corner? how big is the room?). How far away from the mic are you singing (if you're singing)? How are you micing the guitar (if you're micing it)? Etc.

Louis
Old 01-17-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMamaJ40 View Post
Where is the amp in relation to the mic? Supercardioid mics have a distinct lobe off the back of the mic (unlike cardioids) so your amp should be at about 45' to the mic. And forward of the mic if you can make that work. That tilt back might be giving you trouble too.

You probably also have a gain structure problem. I have issues with any amp that doesn't allow me to set input gain and output volume independently for each channel ... with a master to control the final output volume.

Unfortunately, that's how the Mini is designed (and why I don't own one). So you might try using minimal gain on the mic channel (which by design becomes your channel output level), set the guitar gain appropriately to get a good mix with your mic, and control the overall output volume with the master.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification