The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-30-2014, 04:03 AM

Except for very small hardly visible dents and scratches (I call it patina) I have one big ding on my old standby Ovation Legend. Opened the case one day and there was a soundboard split from the bridge to the lower edge...all the way through. My heart sank. After I calmed down a few weeks later I discovered that this was a very common thing with Ovations. I got it repaired but the repair wasn't very good looking. It still sounds great...just has a big battle scar on the soundboard. I have since aquired other guitars and am more careful now about humidity control. Once I looked on Ebay for Ovations...about 75% had soundboard cracks. The synthetic bowl just doesn't move when the top moves...because of the bracing it is also difficult to repair these cracks like you would on a traditional guitar.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W View Post
Except for very small hardly visible dents and scratches (I call it patina) I have one big ding on my old standby Ovation Legend. Opened the case one day and there was a soundboard split from the bridge to the lower edge...all the way through. My heart sank. After I calmed down a few weeks later I discovered that this was a very common thing with Ovations. I got it repaired but the repair wasn't very good looking. It still sounds great...just has a big battle scar on the soundboard. I have since aquired other guitars and am more careful now about humidity control. Once I looked on Ebay for Ovations...about 75% had soundboard cracks. The synthetic bowl just doesn't move when the top moves...because of the bracing it is also difficult to repair these cracks like you would on a traditional guitar.
Here is a professional crack repair method. Get a bottle of Titebond glue. Fill a small plastic medicine cup about a third of the way with it. Carefully add 3-4 DROPS of white vinegar and stir. Get a small piece of damp cloth and mop the glue into the crack. Thoroughly wring out another damp cloth and wipe away the excess. Take a larger piece of damp cloth, big enough to cover the crack area and lay it over it. Set a clothing iron on its highest heat and make several passes over the crack. Be sure the damp cloth covers the area the iron will contact the surface. Finally, hold the iron in place a few seconds over the entire crack and remove the damp cloth. You should now have a repair stronger then the surrounding wood. I've done this on a few O's I've bought cheap because of cracks and ended up with great guitars again.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:25 AM

Well my story is not so much about the guitar getting dented, as it is about the guitar denting the object!

I was taking my Historic 57 Gibson off the wall and lifted it too high into the spinning ceiling fan. Oops! The guitar was fine, but the fan blade got a nice chunk knocked out. Guess the headstocks are stronger than some say they are!

and way too many picks...
Old 05-30-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irondale View Post
toddler + hotwheels = dent
LOL

It was a (toddler + drum stick) for me.

Every time I look at that dent it makes me smile. It reminds me of my daughter and nothing makes me happier!
Old 05-30-2014, 09:50 AM

My story is one of delayed reaction...I had put my new Taylor GS on its stand, in the corner, as usual, and gone off to bed. In the middle of the night, I heard a crashing sound, but thought it was just the AC kicking off, or something.

The next morning, I was getting my coffee, and walked into my practice room, and discovered that a lamp, which was a homemade gift from a friend, made of twigs and a butterfly shade, had fallen off my desk, and the ends of the twigs had slid across the top, making an ugly little dent in the cedar.

That lamp had been sitting on my desk for years, without incident, until the very night when I first left my guitar there.

The spooky thing is--the desk was three feet away from the guitar, so the lamp must have fallen sideways, somehow! Nope, no kids, animals, or other people were involved...! (cue Twilight Zone theme)
Taylor 150E
Taylor Limited Edition 326ce 8-string baritone
Various other instruments
Old 05-30-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepoet View Post
My story is one of delayed reaction...I had put my new Taylor GS on its stand, in the corner, as usual, and gone off to bed. In the middle of the night, I heard a crashing sound, but thought it was just the AC kicking off, or something.

The next morning, I was getting my coffee, and walked into my practice room, and discovered that a lamp, which was a homemade gift from a friend, made of twigs and a butterfly shade, had fallen off my desk, and the ends of the twigs had slid across the top, making an ugly little dent in the cedar.

That lamp had been sitting on my desk for years, without incident, until the very night when I first left my guitar there.

The spooky thing is--the desk was three feet away from the guitar, so the lamp must have fallen sideways, somehow! Nope, no kids, animals, or other people were involved...! (cue Twilight Zone theme)
Clearly you are haunted by the ghost of a Martin owner.

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Halcyon (Flamed walnut/Engelmann)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

"I only drink coffee on days ending in 'y' "
Old 05-30-2014, 10:16 AM

Thumbs down Denting instruments

Hey everyone Im new to the forum, glad to be here and unite with many other guitarist. I used to work at Guitar Center here in Houston and I musta seen dozens of people scratch, ding and break instruments and not give a dime about it.
One time I did have my 61 reissue resting againdt the couch and my dog knocked it over. Chip outta the headstock...
Old 05-31-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeeaddict View Post
Clearly you are haunted by the ghost of a Martin owner.

Hah--they're baack!! (built my house on a Martin burial ground...the poltergeist of shame!)
Taylor 150E
Taylor Limited Edition 326ce 8-string baritone
Various other instruments
Old 05-31-2014, 10:55 AM

Bit more than a "dent' But here's my story.

Playing a farmers market gig on a beautiful Sat. am.. My 12 string Guild (1969 F-212 burst) was sitting on a stand. I was playing a six string at the time. I big gust of wind blew the old Guild off the and she hit the pavement face down with a resounding wack. Now this guitar was already cosmetically challenged and on the verge of neck reset land. The new "smile" crack on the back of the headstock sealed the deal. I clamped and glued the crack to get me thru a few gigs then off she went for more serious and pro level work. Came back to me a few months later and the crack was barely visible. Neck angle is great and while still cosmetically challenged makes up for it with great tone and playability.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:36 PM

I believe I was composing and writing some lyrics when I got a call from work. Picked up the phone and said,

"Hel-CRACK"

Lovely dent in the side. I seriously wanted to barf everywhere. After about a week, I stopped caring.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:32 AM

Lowden F Braz vs. Gibson J200 Bozeman Prototype..
Edge against edge.
The wood binding of Lowden was no competition for white binding on Gibson.
Bit of a dent but knocked little chunk of finish off which makes it seem deeper.
Most expensive guitar I have that Lowden but its not serious.

Not even a little mark on J200.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:44 AM

Default Advice

DONT LET ANYONE ( besides yourself ) HANDLE OR PLAY YOU GUITAR
Old 06-01-2014, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTrap999 View Post
DONT LET ANYONE ( especially yourself ) HANDLE OR PLAY YOU GUITAR
Fixed it for ya... That's the only true way to make sure your guitar stays pristine!

-Mike
Old 06-01-2014, 03:38 PM

Dave, that guitar looks awesome: well worn with plenty of mojo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
I was taking some time off playing professionally while I recovered from a broken heart, and I was working a straight job at a family owned car rental franchise. At our Christmas party, when ‘199 was a few months old, I leaned over as I was sitting on a bar stool in the office and the strap came off that button. Fortunately my leg was extended and the guitar didn’t drop straight down, but rather rolled down my leg, getting a relatively small ding in the binding on the lower bout, upper front. Whew! Got that first ding out of the way quickly and painlessly more or less.

42+ years ago...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
damage, guitar, repair