The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-06-2008, 12:12 PM

Talking The Better Omega OM...

Greetings AGF! Hahaha I actually am good friends with the owner of that new beautiful Blackwood Omega and we constantly have a good time teasing each other about which is better. Either way both are completely different in tone as we've played them side by side. The only things that are similar are the limited creation inlays and body dimensions. I must say I've had this guitar for about 7 weeks now and I can say it has exceeded my expectations. Kevin Gallagher is an amazing person and anyone looking to commission a guitar should seek his advice. He is gifted in his craft and in character and anyone who wants to experience the anticipation and ultimate product of sleepless nights deciding on all the fun little details should be with this great luthier. Some of the details of the guitar:

Cocobolo back and sides/ Carpathian spruce top
Ebony binding
Creation inlay
Cocobolo bridge pins and rosette

The guitar is a canon because of the carpathian top. In comparision with the blackwood OM it's very punchy yet warm. I often refer to it as a strummer's dream but it's also a very versatile guitar as it could be used for fingerstyle too. It has opened up so much already even though I haven't had time to play such a wonderful guitar (Sorry Kevin!!!) but it's a wonder to look at and play everytime I open the case. For now here are the pics from the build.

cocobolo set

the carpathian top (look at those lines)

next up is the 5 piece neck (cocobolo/maple/ebony/maple/cocobolo) one my favorite things about the guitar

gorgeous inlay

her face

her back

look at that cocobolo purfling

cocobolo bridge pins! amazing.

the model shot
Old 10-06-2008, 02:59 PM

Congrats. I never met an Omega I didn't like. Kevin is a Prince!
Old 10-06-2008, 03:05 PM

Absolutely stunning piece of work. Congrats.

www.davidgreen.bandcamp.com
Old 10-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Did the two of you request different sounds for your guitars? As someone who is thinking about a future custom build, i am concerned about variability of sound between different models. To what extent can i be assured that the sound i want will occur in the specific guitar that is built for me?
Old 10-06-2008, 03:31 PM

Based on the pictures, I'd say yours is better. Hmmm, then again you should never judge a book by it's cover so I'd say his is better. Then again, aaarrrrgh!!!!

Let's just say *both* are better
Old 10-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

So the question is...Do you like it better than the African Blackwood guitar???
Old 10-06-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlgph View Post
Did the two of you request different sounds for your guitars? As someone who is thinking about a future custom build, i am concerned about variability of sound between different models. To what extent can i be assured that the sound i want will occur in the specific guitar that is built for me?
yes, steve and i were both looking for very different sounds and he ended up choosing an italian top while i chose the carpathian. I'm pretty sure I could speak for steve but there is a huge difference in the variability of sound even though they are both OMs. I would suggest talking to Kevin because he's worked with so many tonewoods he'll make a lot of suggestions along what you're looking for. I would say you could trust him 101% I must say that even though Kevin is so well known and considered one of the top luthiers I was still somewhat scared but before commissioning I described exactly to Kevin what I wanted in the guitar and he gave me much more.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
I was very impressed by the African Blackwood and I do respect AFB and it's characteristics and rarity but I love my guit so much more. It's all a personal preference and I as well as many other owners of Kevin's guitar would most likely probably pick up their own build rather than anyone else's. That's the neat thing about it because it's something that you and the luthier created together.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:40 PM

There seems to be a FUN, informal Omega competition going on on the forum right now. They are all very beautiful guitars, but being an OM fan, and not particularly liking sapwood.................I vote for yours!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW is that one "eye-catcher", and I have NO doubt it plays and sound as good as it looks.............

Congrats to all three of you
Old 10-06-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
no way! the african blackwood guitar is a beast!
Old 10-06-2008, 08:57 PM

Impressive looking, great details! The competition for who has a better Omega must be pretty stiff!
1991 Fender American Std. Stratocaster: Keystone single coils and updated controls/wiring
Old 10-06-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischang View Post

The guitar is a canon because of the carpathian top.
What are the typical characteristics of carpathian? Similar to Adirondack? Amazing guitar btw. Love the cocobolo.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

This guitar is absolutely gorgeous in person. the little details that put it a cut above the rest. things like matching NECK in cocobolo and also the matching bridge pins. simply stunning!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 10-06-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averse View Post
What are the typical characteristics of carpathian? Similar to Adirondack? Amazing guitar btw. Love the cocobolo.
A friend described it as a combination of the headroom of adirondack and the complexity of a european spruce.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischang View Post
A friend described it as a combination of the headroom of adirondack and the complexity of a european spruce.
Sounds to me like I'd love the sound of it. Congrats on such a beautiful guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop