The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-03-2017, 09:35 AM

I purchased a MicroPro 8. I ultimately decided on a Fender Deluxe Reverb. Personally, I think the MicroPro is a better solution for someone who actually gigs with their amp. I play acoustic out, but I mostly play electric at home, so I went "authentic." If I had to carry the thing to gigs, I'd play a MicroPro 8, or a Kemper with an 8" FRFR speaker. The days of "stacks" are long gone.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I purchased a MicroPro 8. I ultimately decided on a Fender Deluxe Reverb. Personally, I think the MicroPro is a better solution for someone who actually gigs with their amp. I play acoustic out, but I mostly play electric at home, so I went "authentic." If I had to carry the thing to gigs, I'd play a MicroPro 8, or a Kemper with an 8" FRFR speaker. The days of "stacks" are long gone.
Thanks for the input.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 12-03-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Pat quilter is the designer - he was the founder of QSC and has huge street cred.
QSC I've heard of. Thanks for the background.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Interesting micro amp format .

I think it is more like another step in the move towards smaller lighter that has been going on since solid state hit the market in the 60's.
I agree. The Micro Block is just Quilter's entry into a market that's been around for a long time. Electro Harmonix's 22 Caliber and 44 Magnum have been around for decades. The Crate Powerblock, though discontinued, still has some pretty devoted adherents. And if you want to go to the PA or an FRFR speaker instead of a cab, the Tech 21 stuff (beginning with the Sansamp) has been around for a long time.

All of these would allow a person to go direct from their pedalboard into something other than an amp. So, a cool entry (and I'm a Quilter fan) but not really groundbreaking.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:39 PM

i played thru a couple of them and they sound really good but i believe they cost just as much as a tube amp, if that matters.

i saw albert lee playing thru one and when they went on break, i asked him about it. he said it sounded really good but that he was going to use a super reverb for the next set. well, the next set was fantastic. he seemed to be really playing off the super.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 12-03-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
I agree. The Micro Block is just Quilter's entry into a market that's been around for a long time. Electro Harmonix's 22 Caliber and 44 Magnum have been around for decades. The Crate Powerblock, though discontinued, still has some pretty devoted adherents. And if you want to go to the PA or an FRFR speaker instead of a cab, the Tech 21 stuff (beginning with the Sansamp) has been around for a long time.

All of these would allow a person to go direct from their pedalboard into something other than an amp. So, a cool entry (and I'm a Quilter fan) but not really groundbreaking.
and now the new korg nutube stuff is getting a lot of attention.

i have the original sansamp and still drag it out now and then.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 12-03-2017, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

I've known about Quilter gear for decades... yes, he is a Southern California guy (Orange County, I believe), and has made a name for himself since doing wonderful work with "other" companies, before he started his own... (Though his name was Bob, but I am getting older!)

He is good friends with some mutuall friends - folks from the band, Honk, a venerable Laguna Beach outfit from way back when... last I saw of him was at a Songwriter's Showcase that Beth Fitchet-Wood used to run out of the Marine Room in Laguna... Quilter showed up with a small amp that was s'posed to be everything a Deluxe Reverb was, and then some... this was about 6 years ago, and I'm wondering if that's where the Aviator came from?

In any case, Quilter's products deserve a good long look (and trial) if you're in the market. Whether you like the tone of the amps is one thing, and totally up to your ears, but his gear is top-notch, made in SoCal and absolutely dependable...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 12-03-2017, 01:35 PM

Default Tubes

Quote:
Interesting micro amp format .

.... I personally do not think that the more traditional guitar amp, including tube amps, are going away anytime soon. In fact it kinda seems like the opposite it true and that currently there are more amp makers and better amps than at any time in the past .
True. I’ve met many local guitar players over the years who will have nothing to do with a conversation like this. Although I’m thinking a few are now changing their tune as they get older and their backs can’t bare the weight of their amps anymore. For me, nowadays I look for gear that will be musical for me, many high tech items out there are overloaded with features buried in sub menus and are a real PITA when you go to play with other people. Not just effects, but I’ve also had a small practice amp like that.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcouStickistNS View Post
True. I’ve met many local guitar players over the years who will have nothing to do with a conversation like this. Although I’m thinking a few are now changing their tune as they get older and their backs can’t bare the weight of their amps anymore. For me, nowadays I look for gear that will be musical for me, many high tech items out there are overloaded with features buried in sub menus and are a real PITA when you go to play with other people. Not just effects, but I’ve also had a small practice amp like that.
Boy no kiddin' that weight begins to weigh on one's thinking after about age 60
Currently I have two combo tube amps the weigh in at 47 lbs and 59 lbs. and while I have taken the 47lbs out and about to play, the other one stays at home.

I have decided that @ 67 years old from here on out, any new amps will definitely be separate Amp head and speaker cab . And I try to KISS also

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 12-03-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
i played thru a couple of them and they sound really good but i believe they cost just as much as a tube amp, if that matters.

i saw albert lee playing thru one and when they went on break, i asked him about it. he said it sounded really good but that he was going to use a super reverb for the next set. well, the next set was fantastic. he seemed to be really playing off the super.

play music!
The price isn't a determining factor for me, although the Quilters are definitely not cheap for SS units. Size and weight play into it big time, as does tone. My gigging vehicle is a Corolla, as i said. A 210 or even a 112 would eat up quite a bit of space in my diminutive trunk.

A 10 or 15 watt tube amp would be all I ever need in the power department - I ain't no Duane Allman and never will be. Even a Blues Junior or AC10 would only fit in my car w/my other gear if I was playing solo. If we played as a duo, it would mean 2 cars, which I don't want (my gigging partner is my wife).

I appreciate all the input everybody.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 12-03-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Boy no kiddin' that weight begins to weigh on one's thinking after about age 60
Currently I have two combo tube amps the weigh in at 47 lbs and 59 lbs. and while I have taken the 47lbs out and about to play, the other one stays at home.

I have decided that @ 67 years old from here on out, any new amps will definitely be separate Amp head and speaker cab . And I try to KISS also
Hey Kev, this must be where i saw the bit about made in USA w/local stuff.

It's stated in the MF specs here: Quilter Aviator

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 12-03-2017, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Hey Kev, this must be where i saw the bit about made in USA w/local stuff.

It's stated in the MF specs here: Quilter Aviator
Ah ha thanks Yep, Costa Mesa

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 06-22-2018, 10:13 AM

I have a MicroPro Mach 2 - 8"
Diminutive little beast weighs about 20#. Acoustic, electric, and vocals sound great!
Good reverb and tremolo, plenty of tonal options, and Loud enough to fill a megachurch with heavy metal music.
Channel 2 is a vocal/instrument/aux input. It came with a nice padded cover.
I really like the way the front lights up so I can see the controls in the dark places.
No bright LEDs to blind me. Yep! I love it! Made in USA...

Old 06-22-2018, 11:21 AM

Quilter products are very well respected in the pedal steel guitar sector. And those guys are the pickiest tone guys around. Really powerful and clean and takes to stomp boxes really well from all I have read from those guys. Cutting edge stuff in the solid state arena.
Lightweight and very powerful is their claim to fame it seems.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:03 AM

I was lucky enough to demo a few of these for my channel a while back. The 101 mini, pro block 200, aviator and Mach Pro. Loved them. Aviator was my favourite. Awesome tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
aviator, powerful ss amps, quilter amps, quilter mach 2