The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-17-2014, 04:12 PM

Default So glad to have this message board. You all are the best!

I keep making notes based on everyone's suggestions. I will make sure I have a return or exchange policy in case he wants to return for something he might prefer more but with all your suggestions I'm thinking well find something to suit him until he decides he wants an upgrade.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:20 PM

Default Guitar advice - notes from this group

Am I missing anything?

Guitar advice

Places to check out in North Carolina:

Sundpure, Durham
Harry's and Guru, Raleigh
Mullis Music in Concord
Recording king

http://harryandjeaniewest.com/

Give Guitar Center website a shot: Yamaha FG700S

*** pay attention to return policy ***

Notes:
three primary concerns to pay attention to:
is the action low?
does it hold tune?
does it have a solid top?

1-a solid soundboard made of spruce or cedar or mahogany. Laminated soundboards don't tend to sound as good as solid ones.
Laminated sides and backs are not a concern at this point.

2-tuners that turn smoothly and are not chromed plastic - they will feel and look like solid, quality pieces of machine worked metal.

3-I suggest either a Dreadnaught or a Folk size guitar. The Dreadnaught is what most people think of when they think "acoustic guitar". The folk size is a bit smaller and may be easier to play for some people.

Guitars worth checking out:
Washburn D-10S for under $250
Breedlove Passport C250/CMe
Sammick - Greg Bennet
Yamaha FG
Old 12-17-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnr103 View Post
Am I missing anything?
Notes:
is the action low?
does it hold tune?

1-a solid soundboard made of spruce or cedar or mahogany. Laminated soundboards don't tend to sound as good as solid ones.

2-tuners that turn smoothly and are not chromed plastic
Not turning out easy is it?
A non player will never be able to judge the action and it is adjustable anyway
No way in the store to tell if it will stay in tune
Yes solid top is good but spruce, mahogany and cedar all sound diff and are a BIG owner preference thing
Buy him the Yamaha with a return policy
or stay with the gift card?
Old 12-17-2014, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Best of luck to you. I hope you run into some reliable salespeople along the way who are educated enough to help you make an informed decision. What an awesome undertaking...I hope your husband appreciates what you're going through to get him the "right guitar". Wish I had better advice. Just make sure you can return whatever you end up with (in the event he does't like it?) and that there isn't a restocking fee. Happy shopping and Merry Christmas!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-17-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Am I missing anything?

Guitar advice

Places to check out in North Carolina:

Sundpure, Durham
Harry's and Guru, Raleigh
Mullis Music in Concord
Recording king

http://harryandjeaniewest.com/

Give Guitar Center website a shot: Yamaha FG700S

*** pay attention to return policy ***

Notes:
is the action low?
does it hold tune?

Laminated sides and backs are not a concern at this point.

2-tuners that turn smoothly and are not chromed plastic - they will feel and look like solid, quality pieces of machine worked metal.

3-I suggest either a Dreadnaught or a Folk size guitar. The Dreadnaught is what most people think of when they think "acoustic guitar". The folk size is a bit smaller and may be easier to play for some people.

Guitars worth checking out:
Washburn D-10S for under $250
Breedlove Passport C250/CMe
Sammick - Greg Bennet
Yamaha FG
Only thing I see missing here is ***LISTEN*** the sound is the ultimate sale.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 12-17-2014, 10:39 PM

I think you ignored the best advice.
if you want him to have a guitar that you bought him for Christmas or a birthday.
Make it a shopping day where he knows it's your purchase, but I can say without much doubt, He would rather select the guitar himself.
Of course He will love the one you bought him, but it may not be the one he would select himself.

Dan
Old 12-18-2014, 03:11 PM

Thank you again everyone.

Definitely not ignoring that advice Dan. I just know my husband won't let us buy the guitar right now. The shopping day simply won't happen if I don't do it myself. He's in practical mode and a guitar isn't on that list.

The guitar I pick may not be the guitar he'd pick himself but it will surely be better than my 2yo sons toy guitar he's been fiddling with. . I'm the sucker for sound and live music and despite not knowing much about guitars I've spent a significant portion of my life listening and surrounding myself by musicians. Music makes me happy so I'm simply thrilled my husband is taking an interest. I want to foster than interest.

I know the sound I love...I won't buy without listening to it being played first.

I'll get the return policy too - definitely.

My husband is a sucker for sentiment and just as I may like jewelry I pick out myself I'd still prefer anything he'd buy me.

Thank you again everyone. I'll post the outcome.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you again everyone.

Definitely not ignoring that advice Dan. I just know my husband won't let us buy the guitar right now. The shopping day simply won't happen if I don't do it myself. He's in practical mode and a guitar isn't on that list.

The guitar I pick may not be the guitar he'd pick himself but it will surely be better than my 2yo sons toy guitar he's been fiddling with. . I'm the sucker for sound and live music and despite not knowing much about guitars I've spent a significant portion of my life listening and surrounding myself by musicians. Music makes me happy so I'm simply thrilled my husband is taking an interest. I want to foster than interest.

I know the sound I love...I won't buy without listening to it being played first.

I'll get the return policy too - definitely.

My husband is a sucker for sentiment and just as I may like jewelry I pick out myself I'd still prefer anything he'd buy me.

Thank you again everyone. I'll post the outcome.
As mentioned already mentioned by llew, finding the right salesperson would be key in your situation (Maybe the owner rather then a rep). Trust your gut. If you are getting the sleazy car salesman vibe walk out.

Let us know how it turns out.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 12-20-2014, 05:33 PM

Default Washburn WD11S

Ended up with a Washburn WD11S

I seem to like the sound of the cedar tops and the price was right with a return policy. Owner of the local shop seemed pretty trustworthy and despite being fairly busy he had the patience. He almost talked me into a bouldercreek guitar but I was concerned it was a fad?? He was also playing me an ovation (?) that was his own that he was considering selling and I liked the sound of it but wasn't sure what my husband would think... Plus again, it was used. I'm happy with what I took home and my 2yo son was so thrilled to see it come through the door. Hopefully my husband will be pleasantly surprised but just in case the store had plenty of nice options in our price range to exchange it with. They didn't have a Breedlove to try so I went to a guitar center just to have a chance to listen to one before committing. They had one with a spruce top but I wasn't feeling it quite as much - might of been the player and not the guitar (insert shoulder shrug).

Thank you all again.

Happy Holidays.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:

I seem to like the sound of the cedar tops and the price was right with a return policy. Owner of the local shop seemed pretty trustworthy and despite being fairly busy he had the patience. He almost talked me into a bouldercreek guitar but I was concerned it was a fad?? He was also playing me an ovation (?) that was his own that he was considering selling and I liked the sound of it but wasn't sure what my husband would think... Plus again, it was used. I'm happy with what I took home and my 2yo son was so thrilled to see it come through the door. Hopefully my husband will be pleasantly surprised but just in case the store had plenty of nice options in our price range to exchange it with. They didn't have a Breedlove to try so I went to a guitar center just to have a chance to listen to one before committing. They had one with a spruce top but I wasn't feeling it quite as much - might of been the player and not the guitar (insert shoulder shrug).

Thank you all again.

Happy Holidays.
Glad you found a guitar that you liked for him....I am sure he will very much appreciate the present.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 12-20-2014, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Thank you all again.

Happy Holidays.
Well just cause you found him the "right guitar"...don't be a stranger around here? Merry Christmas!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-20-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:

Thank you all again.

Happy Holidays.
Be sure to swing back and tell us how it works out with the gift. Also we'd love to have you stick around and get that new guitar owner on here to share with us too! Make it a family affair of sorts!

Warm Wonderful Christmas and Joy in the year to come!

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, damage, guitar buying, repair, tanglewood