The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-27-2012, 12:17 PM

Default Dilemna

Oh my. What to do. I have a Larrivee OM-03 Rosewood. I added a bone nut and bridge pins. Have had this guitar for a few years. Absolutely love the body shape, and the sound. One problem. Have never gotten used to the neck. Or maybe it's the flat radius, or a combination of both. So now I'm about to make a mistake I believe, but I've decided that I can't keep a guitar that doesn't have that right feel. And it's only the neck that bothers me. I have always loved the Taylor neck (actually the old Takamine necks are my favorite) and now have decided to sell my OM but can't afford an expensive Taylor. Is the Taylor 214ce a fair trade-off? Please advise!!
Old 02-27-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatCanadian View Post
Oh my. What to do. I have a Larrivee OM-03 Rosewood. I added a bone nut and bridge pins. Have had this guitar for a few years. Absolutely love the body shape, and the sound. One problem. Have never gotten used to the neck. Or maybe it's the flat radius, or a combination of both. So now I'm about to make a mistake I believe, but I've decided that I can't keep a guitar that doesn't have that right feel. And it's only the neck that bothers me. I have always loved the Taylor neck (actually the old Takamine necks are my favorite) and now have decided to sell my OM but can't afford an expensive Taylor. Is the Taylor 214ce a fair trade-off? Please advise!!
I'd hate to be in your shoes. I wouldn't want to trade that Larrivee for a Taylor of any sort, to be honest, even though I like my Taylor a lot. What I've found is that although Taylors are easy to play, it's quite possible to adjust the action on other guitars so that they are just as easy to play. (Of my guitars, I'd say my 000-18 is easiest followed by the Taylor.) So my recommendation would be to get your guitar set up as well as possible. If you've already done that, I'd suggest trying out everything possible to see what you like.

Good luck –

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:55 PM

Yeah, I have my guitar set up perfectly I believe (for me anyway). I'm a light finger picker, and have my action very low. While replacing nuts and saddles I've experimented with quite a few different adjustments, and what I have now is the best I've come up with. I play the guitar fairly frequently, but every time I pick up any Taylor with the 1 11/16" nut width, it feels much more comfortable. I've thought this over and over and over. There is no way that I would get rid of this Larrivee if it had a Taylor(esque) neck. Especially for a 214ce.

There is no way that a Taylor should feel more comfortable seeing I have the Larrivee in my hands every day and may go 6 months without picking up a Taylor.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:03 PM

I love the sound of a Larrivee, but I have never found one with a neck that I like. I always feel like I'm holding the business end of a baseball bat. Apparently, a lot of folks here on this board love the way that it feels, but I can't stand it. I'd try to find a used Taylor GC or GA that's comfortable and still sounds good. I'm sure you could find something in the used market.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:22 PM

Just checked the classifieds in my area (Newfoundland, Canada) and not much there. I think I would be waiting a very long time to find a decent used (suitable) guitar here.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:25 PM

I would look at the 312 or gc 3. I think there is a used one for sale on the forum.

The 214 has a narrower nut than the 312.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...I have always loved the Taylor neck (actually the old Takamine necks are my favorite) and now have decided to sell my OM but can't afford an expensive Taylor. Is the Taylor 214ce a fair trade-off? Please advise!!
Hi GC...
A more comparable model of guitar in the Taylor line would be the 300 series.

Your OM-03 is all solid, the 200 series Taylor are not.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-27-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi GC...
A more comparable model of guitar in the Taylor line would be the 300 series.

Your OM-03 is all solid, the 200 series Taylor are not.

Absolutely correct, and that's what's tearing me up here!! I'm limited financially to what I will be able to get. No problem going used, IF I can find something.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have always loved the Taylor neck (actually the old Takamine necks are my favorite) and now have decided to sell my OM but can't afford an expensive Taylor. Is the Taylor 214ce a fair trade-off? Please advise!!
I've played the 100 thru 300 series Taylors and did not like the 100 or 200s at all. The 314 is a nice guitar but definitely consider the Martin GPCPA4. All solid woods, AE, and sitka over sapele. Targeted to compete directly with the Taylor 314ce.

Plus it has the very desireable performing artist neck (1.75" nut, 2.1875" bridge string spacing). I will not consider another Martin without this neck profile -- it is that good.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 02-27-2012, 05:06 PM

The older 200-series taylors are solid FYI. I can NEVER remember the year that they changed, so I'll let a fellow member do so.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:17 PM

The Larrivee neck is wide for fingerstyle. For faster runs you need a narrow nut width and a narrow, electric guitar like neck. Thats the Taylor 210 or 214. I have my Larrivee for lyrical fingerstyle, but to do fast easy speed runs, the strings are spaced too far apart. I use the Taylor 210 when I want some speed.

The Martin PA4 series are in that price range and offer an electric guitar like neck, but a wider nut spacing. They arent speed demons but have a rich full sound with good bottom end.

Its a hard place to be, either or, both is better....the Taylor speed playability is fantastic but the sound is Taylor and that has its place for some.

Will it match the richness of your Larrivee in tone? I dont think so, its much brighter, no slouch in tonal richness, but biased toward a thinner, ringing sound.

I would have to suggest, if you wanted something with a narrow neck, that you look at Martins in your price point. The DX1CE is a fast guitar and can be set very low and has some of the tonal color you like in the Larrivee.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:21 PM

You'll have to be the judge of any value of moving from your Larry to a Taylor. But one thing is for sure, the feel of the neck can really make or break a guitar. No matter how nice it is, if the neck is not right...it's just not right. So you should feel fine about making the change because of the neck. But certainly think hard about what neck works for you and make a clear decision before letting go of your current instrument.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:05 PM

Great points made by all. And to think I am a former owner of a Taylor 710ce. Had I bought the 714ce at the time I would still have it. I will have a look at the Martins as well I bought my daughter a Little Martin 2 years ago. I play that a lot believe it or not. Just love the Taylor neck Short fingers!!
Old 02-27-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I have my guitar set up perfectly I believe (for me anyway). I'm a light finger picker, and have my action very low. While replacing nuts and saddles I've experimented with quite a few different adjustments, and what I have now is the best I've come up with. I play the guitar fairly frequently, but every time I pick up any Taylor with the 1 11/16" nut width, it feels much more comfortable. I've thought this over and over and over.
Reminds me of wanting to buy a pair of great looking 9 1/2 shoes when I need a 10....cramming my feet into the 9 1/2's never works and I'm uncomfortable all day....Same with a Guitar

Comfort & playability of a Guitar is mandatory.....Just resign yourself to the fact this Guitar doesn't fit......if you are fighting your Guitar, it's a bad fit.

I would however, not "settle" for a 214.....The 314CE neck is great and the nut is actually 1 3/4 "....I found for my hands (in my price range) the only Guitars that really worked from a neck standpoint was the 314 CE and my Breedlove American C25 SME.....The clincher for me was I paid half of what the Taylor costs....

Don't know if you got good credit ( I don't )...American Musical Supply is offering Taylors at 12 month pay as you play payment plans, no interest....I think a 314CE is like $137.42 a month.....

Playability & comfort is oh so important.....it's time to move on

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me
Old 02-27-2012, 06:31 PM

Yes the 314ce is 1 3/4". But the 214ce Is 1 11/16. And I notice that easily. I know I probably won't be able to get a Taylor much higher than the200 series. And I know I will sacrifice some sound moving from my Larrivee. But as someone above said, if it doesn't feel right then it isn't the right guitar no matter how it sounds. Geez I'm playing a Little Martin almost as much as my Larrivee because the neck feels better. That ain't right!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion