The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-18-2014, 12:31 AM

Default Intoxicated on loopers right now - New Pigtronix Content

-- disclaimer - I play for fun; wish I was decent.
Some time ago, I was looking for an echo to make me sound like Duanne Eddy in Rebel Rouser. I ended up buying a TC Electronic Flashback mainly because of all the things it offered, including a short looper. After just a little while with it, I didn't think I sounded like DE, but I kind of liked that looper and wanted more. Enter a JamMan Delay pedal that was on a serious sale at that point at an online retailer. I used the JamMan some, then other projects and some frustration at learning the pedal set in. I set it aside.
Flash forward to three weeks ago. I have my annual "gig" coming up (I play at this specific picnic - strictly background). I have been working on some tunes and getting better, but I wanted to spice it up a bit. I took the time to read the JamMan manual 3 or 4 times (slow learner) and started working with it. I have had too much fun. In the course of these three weeks my ability to work leads has improved drastically. I know there were other ways I could have done this, but I always improve more when prepping for some sort of performance.
To finish the story, I became convinced (I know, 3 whole weeks) that there were aspects of the JamMan Delay that could be improved upon for using a looper live. I did my forum reading and began to settle on either Boomerang III, Pigtronix Infinity Looper, or the new Boss RC-300. In the interest of brevity, I received my Pigtronix Infinity this evening and have now had the chance to play two tunes on it. It is too late and I need to go to bed, but it is a great unit. Having two accessible looping locations ready at the step of the foot is a great improvement over the JamMan having to use stored loops for that purpose. Right now I want everything to happen live.
I will keep working with the unit, but I play on Saturday -- so I have a lot to learn quickly. It is making my previous song arrangements go so much easier.
Bottom Line -- Looping has made me loopy!!

'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....

Last edited by billyg; 09-19-2014 at 12:06 AM. Reason: correct spelling of Duanne
Old 09-18-2014, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

.....being loopy for loopers is indeed a good thing....one of the best ways out there for improving your soloing abilities....i've had several models over the years and used them on solo gigs a few times some years back....a creative tool for sure....good luck with yer gig....
Old 09-18-2014, 09:13 AM

I have the Jamman solo looper. The aux pedal that you can get for it made it more useful.

My next looper will be the Ditto 2x.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 09-18-2014, 09:30 AM

I picked up a Jamman Solo over a year ago over of the local Craigslist. One I figured it out I was like "where have you been all my life?" I've only used it once for pre-recorded loops, mostly everything is on the fly live looping. I would love to move up to a Boomerang III, but just can't find enough justification or funding. LOL.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:21 PM

Loopers ARE great whether you're on your couch or on a stage. And I applaud your desire to keep everything live for your audience and not use stored loops. A little disingenuous in my book, for an audience expecting live music.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification