The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

View Poll Results: Do effects have a place on acoustic guitars?
Absolutely not, it's an abomination 11 10.48%
There's a time and place 28 26.67%
Only to enrich/enhance the natural sound 34 32.38%
Definitely, why should electrics get all the fun? 32 30.48%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I don't really like that argument. I am a minimalist when it comes to using effects but that's because I need more time to develop a sound with them. Guys like Phil Keaggy have experimented and tried different sounds with their acoustics and the results are not only impressive but also inspiring. There are traditionalists and then there are innovators.
Good counter-argument. I don't really have a position on this - as long as it's done well - and like nearly everything in music I think saying there IS a right or wrong answer is wrong. I'm just interested in what others think.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
Some songs ask for effects, others don't.
+1 to this.

However, in my own writing/playing, I find that the more interest I find in using effects, the more I'm really just wanting to play the piece electric instead of acoustic.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:31 AM

For some songs I want as close to "pure acoustic sound" as I can achieve.

For others, I'll add EQ, delay, octave, overdrive... In fact, when I play Master Blaster by Stevie Wonder, I create a percussion loop and add all of those effects at once.

If I hear any effect layered on top for song after song (ie: chorus), it gets old really fast.

I feel that same about vocal harmonizers. Mixed low and used with discretion they can be a magical addition. Too obvious, or too constant and it just sounds synthetic and fake - like the singer doesn't want you to hear their real voice.

All effects, if used well will add to the performance. It should make the audience take notice and smile, sing along or get up and dance. Used badly, and the audience just rolls their eyes - that's not what you're shooting for.

Mike
Old 09-17-2014, 10:56 AM

I voted "Only to enrich and enhance the natural sound" (but in the right situation I can see how going crazy with effects could be cool too, or at least fun to play with).

With recordings, adding a tasteful little bit of reverb can make you sound like you are in a place with much better acoustics. When I have recorded my daughter playing flute or singing in church the raw recording usually sounds best. But if she is recorded at home in our heavily damped recording space, the sound is sort of sterile unless we add some reverb (at which point it sounds a lot more like the really lovely sound we get with no added effects in church).

I think playing a guitar through a PA system can be sort of the same way. A bit of reverb can make you sound more like an acoustic performance in a wonderful church or concert hall (particularly if you are playing through pickups rather than through a good microphone).

Interestingly, when I play my Goodall through the mixer and the PA, I have to turn the reverb way up (a lot higher than when playing my Martin 000-15) before being able to hear the added reverb, and then, with this guitar, it really is on the edge or past the edge of being too much reverb - that guitar has built-in reverb effects and it hardly needs any help.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingboy68 View Post
All effects, if used well will add to the performance. It should make the audience take notice and smile, sing along or get up and dance. Used badly, and the audience just rolls their eyes - that's not what you're shooting for.

Mike
I have heard several big name acoustic guitar soloists and a ukulele player too performing in person - well known names immediately recognizable by most anyone here. In most cases they (or the venue?) used so much distortion and maybe other effects that these wonderful musicians ended up with really harsh and ugly sounds. In one case the sound was really just downright unpleasant.

It kind of seems like this must have been the musicians' decisions, since I also heard a classical guitar player in this same venue who had really wonderful sound.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:12 AM

No instrument or sound is sacred. The only thing sacred is the song.. the art... the music. Does the music need it? Do it. If not.. don't.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 09-17-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
But I suppose the argument would be "if you want effects, why not use an electric guitar"?
Because certain effects sound completely different on an acoustic versus an electric.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-17-2014, 01:08 PM

A little bit of eq and chorus worked wonders for Stephen Still"s "Treetop Flyer".
Old 09-17-2014, 01:24 PM

For me, mostly a straight acoustic sound through the PA. When I do add something, it is a hint of chorus and reverb.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
I'm not sure if looping really counts as an effect?
I can't play two acoustic guitars at once (never mind guitar and bouzar at the same time) so, trust me, it's an effect. And I'm sure Phil Keaggy would agree with me...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:26 PM

I run my acoustic through tons of effects, I don't have a problem with it at all. I use an acoustic because I enjoy playing it more than my electric, and it provides a different tone too.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
I can't play two acoustic guitars at once (never mind guitar and bouzar at the same time) so, trust me, it's an effect. And I'm sure Phil Keaggy would agree with me...

Phil
I can't play and sing at the same time, but if I record each separately I wouldn't say it's an effect
Old 09-17-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McShepherd View Post
+1 to this.

However, in my own writing/playing, I find that the more interest I find in using effects, the more I'm really just wanting to play the piece electric instead of acoustic.
I have a song I recently composed that was first inspired by playing the electric but I moved it to the acoustic. 95% of my playing is done on an acoustic and that's the instrument I take to open mics. This song does have a couple of sections that are colored with a looper and effects.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 09-17-2014, 02:46 PM

Honestly, can anyone- electric or acoustic guitarist- finger pick an arpeggio through a Phase 90 and tell me it's not heavenly?!!!
Old 09-17-2014, 02:55 PM

chorus or delay, slight, not overpowering.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification