The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-14-2014, 03:40 PM

Default open mic and lyric

Played an open mic on friday eve at a local cafe. Got up and plugged in, and the sound guy was confused... took him man seconds, I was strumming for a line check and he announces he can't get anything... he's picking up more from the vocal mic he says.

Well... no. It's my new lyric. He thinks it sounds like a microphone, because it is. I didn't even think about it, thought maybe my battery died or whatever.

I guess that means it sounds just like a mic'd acoustic guitar!!

I should have mentioned he should have run more gain too, that might have helped... I don't run a preamp. Funny though.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 09-14-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalad View Post
Played an open mic on friday eve at a local cafe. Got up and plugged in, and the sound guy was confused... took him man seconds, I was strumming for a line check and he announces he can't get anything... he's picking up more from the vocal mic he says.

Well... no. It's my new lyric. He thinks it sounds like a microphone, because it is. I didn't even think about it, thought maybe my battery died or whatever.

I guess that means it sounds just like a mic'd acoustic guitar!!

I should have mentioned he should have run more gain too, that might have helped... I don't run a preamp. Funny though.
Sound guys like that tend to scare me and can make live shows more frustrating then they should be. It's awesome that the Lyric sounds like a mic but you would think that an experienced sound guy could tell the difference between a microphone in a guitar and what the vocal mic is picking up.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:03 PM

Sound guy seems perhaps a little inexperienced! I love my Lyric too, the only issue with it is that it does need some EQ to be at it's best.

As I don't want to waste time trying to get it dialed in at every gig, I now carry an LR Baggs Para DI with my EQ already set. I'm extremely happy with my plugged in sound now, even if I did have to buy a Para DI.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrunskill View Post
Sound guy seems perhaps a little inexperienced! I love my Lyric too, the only issue with it is that it does need some EQ to be at it's best.

As I don't want to waste time trying to get it dialed in at every gig, I now carry an LR Baggs Para DI with my EQ already set. I'm extremely happy with my plugged in sound now, even if I did have to buy a Para DI.
I'd like to second this.

Probably less important if you have a "standard" guitar pickup (UST with onboard preamp) but even then you are better off bringing one along as the venue's PA may not have one and there can be impedance issues plugging straight into the PA without a DI box.

If you have a Lyric which has some pretty specific EQ requirements to get to sound right, the need for a DI box with parametric EQ is even greater.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification