The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-16-2014, 01:36 AM

Default Adding a layer of dirty sound

Hello -
I play in a two piece (acoustic guitar and fiddle) alt. rock outfit....I want to add a little overdrive/distortion for a few moments but without losing the acoustic sound......so I have three questions

1. My thought is to split the signal from my acoustic - one to go to the PA and one to go to my loop pedal and FX pedals (including something grimy) that ends up at a second channel on the PA, so I can mix the 2nd channel underneath my main feed. My hope is to get a bit of warm dirtiness underneath my main acoustic sound (mainly for power chord sections, not screamy solos). Any reason this wouldn't work?

2. What actually is the difference between Overdrive and distortion?

3. What would people suggest as a good pedal for this....I want a warmish sounding OD/dist. and I'd rather not use digital effects as I've had lots of issues with them in the past with volume and signal strength.......

Thanks for your help ladies and gentlemen....you can hear a couple of demos on our pre-order page at pledgemusic.com/projects/jackofall
Old 09-16-2014, 02:03 AM

The SansAmp Para Driver DI allows you to blend in some of what you're looking for. It has a footswitch too, for quick switching of your tones. Without looking it up, "overdrive" means overdriven tube or emulatioin of, and "distortion" means a more solid-state sound that is even more extreme. Overdrive for blues tones and distortion more for metal.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:51 AM

That's a great DI, been listening to some demos.......I have one doubt over it as an option, in that it's a couple of hundred quid and I would only be using it now and then. Might get one as a DI for my main acoustic sound?
Just been looking at Jon Gomm's pedal board and he has a Boss FBM-1 Fender ’59 Bassman running from a humbucker on his guitar to add a layer of overdrive - you can see it on this video at 2.53....http://www.roland.co.uk/blog/jon-gom...-down....think that may be closer to the thing....it's less than half the price and I feel I'd be wasting the talents of the sansamp to just turn it on for a few bits and pieces.......thanks for your thoughts..
Old 09-16-2014, 04:17 AM

It's so versatile, that I use it for everthing. Acoustic, Bass, Electric... Just hear it first, because you might not like the tone. Get the tone you want first and foremost, but there's a wide range of tones the Para Driver DI stompbox handles well. It's all about that sweepable mid.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
#overdrive #distortion