The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-15-2014, 11:23 AM

Default Does it matter where the UST goes thru the saddle slot?

I know the typical spot is on the bass side. Any sonic reason for this or is it just tradition?
Old 09-15-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post
I know the typical spot is on the bass side. Any sonic reason for this or is it just tradition?
Can't answer your question but my experience with removing USTs from two guitars (and replacing them with SBTs) is different: Both went through the slot on the treble side...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Usually the bass-side is chosen by guitar manufacturers because most guitarists are right-handed and side-mounted preamps are mounted facing up toward a player's eyes, thus the UST lead-wire can be made shorter and not follow as circuitous route to the preamp. I'm thinking on left-handed guitars, the opposite would be the preferred installation method. For a right-handed guitar, my dealer puts them in either way, bass-side or treble-side, depending on who does the installation: He is right-handed and his brother is left-handed. In their case, I'm not quite sure why this would affect which end of the saddle slot is drilled for the lead wire, probably a matter of convenience depending on whether the installer is right- or left-handed. According to him, it doesn't make any difference in amplified tone. For me, I would choose the bass-side of the saddle slot for a right-handed guitar because I'd want to keep it the way the guitar maker does it.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 09-15-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Usually the bass-side is chosen by guitar manufacturers because most guitarists are right-handed and side-mounted preamps are mounted facing up toward a player's eyes, thus the UST lead-wire can be made shorter and not follow as circuitous route to the preamp...
According to him, it doesn't make any difference in amplified tone.
That makes sense.

I was asking because my Martin came pre-drilled (on the bass side) with a hole perpendicular to the slot. I used that hole for my Baggs Element but the Element installation recommends a 45 deg. hole so I'm going to reinstall it and will drill a hole in the treble side.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That makes sense.

I was asking because my Martin came pre-drilled (on the bass side) with a hole perpendicular to the slot. I used that hole for my Baggs Element but the Element installation recommends a 45 deg. hole so I'm going to reinstall it and will drill a hole in the treble side.
Yes, the LR Baggs Element likes a 45-degree hole at the end of the saddle slot to eliminate any kinking that could cause a problem with the co-axial integrity of the Element UST and to keep it flatter in the slot. As the instructions say, be careful when drilling your hole so as to not hit any bracing.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification