The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-01-2015, 07:58 PM

Well, I could tell a lot of stories about this. It has several roots, actually. However, I do remember watching "American Bandstand" with my older sisters one day on TV and Chuck Berry came on and duck-walked across the stage while playing "Maybelline" without missing a beat. I stood right up and said: "I want to do THAT!" 60 years later, I given up trying to do the duck-walk, but I'm still working on my Chuck Berry licks.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

I was 11 (1963). The toy I got for Christmas came out of the box DOA. I took it back to Sears, and they had already closed up the toy department. They gave me "store credit." An eleven year old, walking around the store with a piece of paper in his hand instead of a toy.

I had wanted to learn guitar before this time, but my Mother was absolutely against it... "You'll turn out like your Father"... who died when I was 6... but had been a musician (amongst other things).

The words rang in my ears, "If you bring home a guitar, you can't live in this house."

I traded that store credit piece of paper for the least expensive guitar that Sears had. And carried it home in the cardboard box, awaiting my fate. I really wanted an electric guitar, but the cheapest acoustic was all I could get for that piece of paper.

My concerns about getting kicked to the curb didn't happen (really, who would kick an 11 year old out of the house?).

It was enough to get me hooked. And then, in February of 1964, I saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. I was pretty sure if I practiced enough, they would want me to be a "Junior Beatle." Hey, a guy has to have dreams.

Not long after that, I sold the acoustic and got my first electric (with my lawn mowing money), and started a band with some friends. We had our first "gig," playing for $2 each. Money and applause - I was completely hooked.

We did surprisingly well for kids who had to have their parents drive them to gigs. I continued to play in bands through Junior High, High School, College, and beyond.

My Mother wasn't completely wrong. I quit college (first time around) to go on the road with a band. For more than a few years, it was my living.

And now, a mere 51 years later (and a "grown-up" career, owning several businesses, being a Licensed Master boat captain)... I really should be better than I am. I do an occasional corporate solo gig, but mostly entertain an audience of two (wife and cat). After all these years, it is still a pleasure to sing and play.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:29 PM

Talking

^ great story, Jim!

I picked a guitar out of the Sears catalog every year in the 70s along with bb gun and ventriloquist dummy on my Christmas list but never got anybif them. No, hard feelings towards my parents or Santa as they all treated me very well through the years.

In my late 20s I figured out that I could sing beyond the shower and wanted to also accompany myself on guitar. There was a guitarbstore across from the laundromat near my apartment and on a whim a bought a Takamine So that i couldshow everyone thatbi was as good as Mick, Keith, John, Paul, Pete, and Rogervand alll ofbthr British rockers. 15 years later I am still trying to prove that . just wait!
Old 07-02-2015, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I had wanted to learn guitar before this time, but my Mother was absolutely against it... "You'll turn out like your Father"... who died when I was 6... but had been a musician (amongst other things).

The words rang in my ears, "If you bring home a guitar, you can't live in this house."

My concerns about getting kicked to the curb didn't happen (really, who would kick an 11 year old out of the house?).

My Mother wasn't completely wrong. I quit college (first time around) to go on the road with a band. For more than a few years, it was my living.
"Drop out of school and LEARN something." -- Frank Zappa
Old 07-02-2015, 06:18 AM

I got into it simply for the love of music...
Old 07-02-2015, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheistIan View Post
Oh my god! .
Really? Strange...

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 07-02-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baimo View Post
I saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. Was 8 years old. Bugged my parents enough. Went to Manny's in NY and my parents bought me a Fender Mustang. And things evolved.
Pretty much same story.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:31 AM

As far back as I can remember Dad & Grandpa always picked guitar and we had Chet Atkins, Elvis, Jose Feliciano, John Denver albums in the house. My Mom bought me a Leo Kottke album in the early 70's and that really got me motivated.

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 07-02-2015, 07:13 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I marched around the family room to John Phillip Sousa marches and listened to classical music as a kid. The outdoor community swimming pool we went to had a juke box in an open pavilion that was loud enough to fill pool area with the popular music at the time. Then I survived the British invasion and was given my first transistor radio that I took to bed with me every night.

By 1970 when I was twelve my head was full of music to the bursting point and my best friend suggested we start a band. That was all fine and dandy except neither of us had an instrument or knew how to play. He asked for drums for Christmas and I asked for a guitar and both of us got them. Within a week we had out first jam session in his freezing garage. Within about a half-year we played our first paid gig. We were terrible but I was hooked.

I still have my first guitar, a 1970 Sears Silvertone Classical. It is playable but well-worn and loved.

Interestingly, right around the same time I was roped into doing my first audio mix of a live event for radio. I guess my interests in recording and guitar just grew alongside one another from there. By 1978 I had decided to play professionally but right around then I seriously took stock of the business and noticed that none of my guitar heroes seemed to be able to keep a family together. Having come from a strong family, I wanted a strong family. Soon after, I fell in love with a beautiful woman and chose my path. I ended up a vocational recording engineer and an avocational guitarist who gets to play sessions!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-02-2015, 07:31 AM

This record right here. I was 4 years old.

My brother and I wore out three copies of the same record.

I was well versed in Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Ratt, Judas Priest, Twisted Sister, Dokken, Ozzy, WASP, Scorpions, AC/DC, etc. before the age of 10. We had 3 TV channels and an Atari, and we lived in the country. My brother played bass in a band when he was in 8th grade, and the drummer left his drums at our house which I learned to play (second grade maybe?). The bad broke up in about 6 months, and I didn't have access to a drum set until I sold off some inherited family land when I was about 20. My folks were NOT going to buy me drums, so I bought them myself. I'll be 41 this year. I still have my original drum set, and I play at least 2-3 times a week now. I've also been able to do some pretty cool stuff playing the drums in terms of traveling and recording. BTW, the land I sold is now worth pennies on the dollar.

Last edited by PorkPieGuy; 07-02-2015 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:38 AM

Default So, how did you decide you wanted to play the guitar?

Natural progression in the early 60's. Everybody was a rock n' roller or folk singer...I was no exception. Took orchestra in school and went on to play multiple instruments....with guitar and keyboards as my go to nowadays. Then as I got older I became afflicted with a terribly wonderful disease..."GAS"
Old 07-02-2015, 09:12 AM

About 2 years ago, my wife (girlfriend at the time) and I ran our 1st marathon at 39 years old. We attributed it to working together. She was given a guitar by a previous boyfriend because she wanted to learn how to play some John Denver. She suggested that we learn together. I bought a cheap electric since she had an acoustic. Well, though we were supposed to "start" at the same time following the JustinGuitar lessons, she didn't even pick her guitar up.

I have enjoyed it far more than I expected, she supports me and we're starting to work on some duets. (She's a better singer than I.)

Great fun!
Old 07-02-2015, 09:23 AM

Seems I've been singing since before I could walk. Started on piano when I was 6 or 7, piano teacher got me into choral and competitive singing, and then I moved to the city at the age of 9. No more piano, but I had the opportunity to join two excellent choirs. I played various winds in junior high band, but was more excited to pick up a bass when I was 12 or so. Moved on to my dad's old guitar around the time I turned 14, because I wanted to accompany myself singing. 35 years later, that's still what I do, mostly, though I've picked up a bunch of other instruments and my guitar playing has improved a bit.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:15 PM

I was hooked on Elvis when I was 9 or 10, really wanted a guitar, but never got one. Then the beatles came on the scene. I didn't stop asking until I got one, an acoustic Kay, circa 1965. The stones, the who, Dylan, Simon and Garfunkle, all early influences, but it was that Elvis thing that first got my attention.

Old age and treachery will outsmart youth and skill every time. - My dad...
Old 07-02-2015, 07:36 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Mine is a different story.
I listened to King Crimson, Frank Zappa, BeBop Deluxe, Rush... I never figured on playing that amazing stuff. I was right I can't! 14 years ago I was waiting in a guitar room once a week for my kids Bass lessons. I finally bought a guitar to figure out Hotel California. I did! I like it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic