The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-01-2015, 03:22 PM

Gotta love the pics of the old station wagons. Back in the days where you could ride in the far back with no seat belts.

My first car was a Pontiac Sunbird. Bought it new and drove it for 10 years without any major issues.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:18 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Gotta love the pics of the old station wagons. Back in the days where you could ride in the far back with no seat belts.

My first car was a Pontiac Sunbird. Bought it new and drove it for 10 years without any major issues.
A buddy and I send craigslist and ebay station wagon pictures/ads all the time!
Old 07-02-2015, 06:26 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

My first car was a 200.00 73 Mustang coup I bought in 1978. 302 3 speed. I bought it when I was 14. It was done by me and buddies. Ready when I was 16 Between 70's Ford crap metal and Pittsburgh salting roads, it was a rust bucket. 2 gallons of Tiger hair. Spray can paint job. CB, Alpine Stereo with 12 channel equalizer, 6 speakers.... 4-6 miles to the gallon? BUT! I smoked a Vette!
Why am I alive?
Old 07-02-2015, 06:59 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
With a cringe I still recall many times when my 1985 Pontiac Grand Am SE (which I named Betsy because everything that's ever given me trouble in life has had a woman's name) that my mother "sold" to me after getting out of the Navy in 1990 and dating a woman who lived on the wrong side of the tracks. The price was $1000 along with a firm boot in the buttocks by kicking me off her insurance at 21 and making me get my own but it was really meant to teach me a lesson because the car was a bad omen that was constantly breaking down. For the next year I worked two jobs to keep that lemon on the road and to keep my girlfriend happy - both of which were near impossible jobs for a fool such as myself.

I could romanticize all the times that car left me stranded on the side of the road and/or broke because of some unforeseeable repair but like I said, I still cringe 25 years later. The happiest day of my life was when I finally ran out of money to keep it on the road and that girlfriend dumped me. After that, I went back to school sadder but (alas temporarily) wiser and managed to get on the dean's list for a couple of semesters.

Too bad I'm just book smart, but I'm still glad to be rid of the evil car and even more evil ex-girlfriend.
Nothing more anoying than unreliable rides.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:49 PM

My 1st car was a 1970 VW bus. Bought it new at the duty free shop at the airport in Amsterdam and shipped it back to the US after driving it around Europe all summer. It came without floor in the back and there were no interior panels. It had a headliner and and a dashboard and an am radio. Put a plywood floor and carpet down in the back, my mother made curtains, and an 8-track player was added later. Had an overstuffed old chair from the goodwill facing sideways in the back. Had it about 13 years. Loved the thing. Did 3 or 4 trips across the US in it and it saw close to 40 states and 10 countries. Don't really know how many miles it had on it when I finally gave it away as the odometer didn't work the last 3 or 4 years I had it. Lots of memories.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 07-04-2015, 10:32 AM

Not nearly my first vehicle but perhaps the best story. Had an old Ford Econoline van that I bought in 1975 and drove all over the country for a couple of years. I sold it to a fellow Green Giant pea-picker named Tom Van Munn after which it became know as the Munn van.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:37 AM

1963 Rambler Classic 770 station wagon like this one:

Several Martins, 2 Guilds, a couple of kits and a Tilton (ever heard of those?),
some ukes and a 1920s Vega tenor banjo

Neil deGrasse Tyson — 'The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.'

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic