The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-28-2014, 12:20 AM

Default journey

sounds great. After just flying with my Martin HD28, I would love one of these. Will keep my eyes open for a store near Chicago.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:30 PM

Rob. Any update on shipments? Still waiting on my many months old Elderly order...
Old 11-23-2014, 07:39 PM

If they didn't ship Friday, then we'll be shipping tomorrow. We have our own in-house line now (hence the delay in reply) and are shipping weekly to catch up with pre-orders, so the wait on these babies is imminently over!
1950s Martin Baritone Uke
A prototype of something you're likely to drool over.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:26 PM

I took the plunge with LA Guitar Sales. They said 6 weeks.

I'm using my Voyage Air and GS Mini until then. I just bought the Voyage Air used, in great condition while on a business trip. I changed the bridge pins to make it sound not-so-brash and also got a bone saddle for it. THEN I saw the Journey Overhead and liked the neck design and the other design elements and features. I almost got the sitka/sapele version, but thought about all of the things I worry about when traveling and decided to invest in the carbon fiber. The GS Mini is already up for sale and the Voyage Air will be for sale once the OF-660 arrives.

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro
Old 11-26-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
I took the plunge with LA Guitar Sales. They said 6 weeks.

I'm using my Voyage Air and GS Mini until then. I just bought the Voyage Air used, in great condition while on a business trip. I changed the bridge pins to make it sound not-so-brash and also got a bone saddle for it. THEN I saw the Journey Overhead and liked the neck design and the other design elements and features. I almost got the sitka/sapele version, but thought about all of the things I worry about when traveling and decided to invest in the carbon fiber. The GS Mini is already up for sale and the Voyage Air will be for sale once the OF-660 arrives.

You're gonna love your guitar once you're able to get your hands on it! I have been truly loving mine. I consider myself very lucky to be at the "right place at the right time" which gave me the option to purchase one early.

Well just an update or two on my OF-660. Still playing as beautiful as the day I purchased it. Recently replaced the strings and boy does it sing. I'm heading out to the rig tomorrow and she's traveling with me again. It's such a joy to have a guitar travels so well and sounds so good. I'm 100% satified with my purchase. The only negatives to report are I'm still experiencing a bit of minor fret buzz when capo'd (mainly with the capo on the 2nd & 3rd frets). It's a minor buzz, but it is worth noting. I did slightly adjust the truss rod which did alleviate the issue somewhat. Also the OF-660 does have the tuning issues that pretty much every guitar with a detachable/folding neck deals with. When the neck is installed it takes some time for the guitar and strings to settle in. So expect to tune and re-tune the guitar three or four times after installing the neck. The good news is that once everything is stabilized the guitar will stay in tune like it's supposed to. And finally when installing the neck pay close attention to the bridge to make sure that the string spacing, are spaced properly. Most of the time you won't have any problems, but it is something to keep an eye on.

Finally if anyone would be interested in a non-backpack case for the OF-660. The Road Runner Roadster Little Brat soft case is a perfect fit for the OF-660. Almost like it was custom built for Journey's little travel guitar. I use case when at the house, and of course the backpack case is used when I'm on the road. Here's some pics of the case.

Voyage-Air Transit Series VAOM-02
Squire Classic Vibe Telecaster Thinline
Custom Built Reliced Strat
Old 11-27-2014, 04:37 AM

This is good stuff! Thanks for the on going review.

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro
Old 11-27-2014, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuro View Post
Well just an update or two on my OF-660.
I appreciate your review and update on the OF-660. I've been following this closely, as I'd like to get one once I can save a few pennies.

STeve
Old 12-17-2014, 11:46 AM

My understanding is that all of the Journeys are high break angle. Do you know what the design specs are? How tall *is* the saddle? How is the action? I say this as my dealer has one with a 60 degree angle, which seems awfully steep. And the action is a shade high.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:07 PM

Anze11,

Specs are string height 2.5-2.7mm at the 12th fret on the low E. This is similar to other carbons I've played in guitar stores. Saddle should be around 4-6mm high. Break angle is intentionally high as it helps with transfer of energy to the sound board, and carbon top can withstand much more stress than we're placing on it. Our bridges are bonded AND bolted on, and the gutiars are very very durable.

We are assembling in-house and have our own luthiers for setup and assembly, so our fit-and-finish and playability has improved immensely. The tone on these carbons is really, really good.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:13 PM

I got the call from LA Guitars that my guitar has been shipped to them. I should have it in my hands the week of Jan 18th. I sold my GS Mini and my Voyage Air guitars just before Christmas. I have to travel (by plane) at the end of January so this is perfect timing!

Old 01-08-2015, 04:05 PM

Congrats dragonfly66 on the timing. My guitar arrived at my house last Friday, hours after I embarked on the last of my 3 trips in the past 3 months. I'm still on the road, sans guitar. Timing, as they say, is everything.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:35 PM

Well that had to hurt!

Old 01-14-2015, 04:34 PM

Thanks for the review. I'm really excited for this guitar.

Also, I know the headstock design is mostly function over form to make it smaller, but I really like the look of it. The whole guitar is sexy, but I really like that cute little headstock.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 01-16-2015, 07:29 AM

Are there plans to produce a left-handed version?
Old 01-16-2015, 06:48 PM

Most likely we don't have a lefty in this format this year. Due to the wedge design, the tooling costs vs demand make it prohibitive at this point. I expect a year or two down the road we'll have a lefty model.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber