The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-30-2016, 09:41 AM

Default Possible Line Array System for Busking?

I've been reading a tonne of good stuff from the Line Array systems (the latest being the JBL Eon One) and I've been wondering if there's any option out there that's similar, but lighter and ideally battery powered? I'm currently busking with a Roland AC-33 but the volume can be a bit lacking when the crowds get big, but anything much heavier with a car/deep cycle battery is probably impossible for me to lug around. Thanks for helping out!!!
Old 08-30-2016, 12:13 PM

What are your requirements for lugging stuff? Are you an over the shoulder, subway only traveller?

Line arrays, it would seem to me, wouldn't be a very good choice for busking as their focussed sound leaves them sounding thin at a distance and still loud enough as to bring noise complaints. I might be 100% wrong about that thought, as their focussed sound also limits their ultimate coverage area, at least as directly compared to an amp.

In any event, there aren't many line arrays that would quaLify as small and light (only the Carvin s600b comes to mind, )and that Carvin is the only battery powered one there is as well.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:58 PM

Not a line array, but maybe one of the Samson xp series rechargeable speakers would work well.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:04 PM

Carvin S600B is the only option for what you are describing.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:21 PM

I agree with dannyg1 that a vertical column isn't a good busking amp, since it tends to have a longer sound throw while not being overly loud at the source.

This quality makes column designs like the Eon a fine outdoor party event amp, but an urban busker doesn't want to project very far, as this will probably meet with disapproval from the cops.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:23 AM
Charter Member

I have a friend who plays the street fair in Monterey, Ca., with his Bose Compact... seems to work well for him.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-31-2016, 09:27 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies! Seems like a vertical column setup wouldn't be an upgrade for me then! And the next higher-end option is probably the battery powered AER Compact Mobile (which is too heavy and expensive for a public transport user). Really appreciate the help
Old 08-31-2016, 09:57 AM

Yes one has just come out - The Laney 4x4 that's 4x 4" speakers in a line plus battery and mains power . If you go to the Andertons Web site they have a video demo
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 08-31-2016, 10:03 AM

It is possible to put together a higher powered system that's portable enough for public trans. It won't be built as one box though (Unless you build a box for the stuff yourself) and not nearly as convenient to carry as an AC-33.

A small pure sine inverter, a small lithium battery (with an integrated battery management system. Required addition), a Fishman Loudbox Mini, a 12v charger and you'll have a much, much more powerful system than an AC-33 for around $550-600, weighing in at around 30-33 lbs total.. There are many other choices you could use for the main amplifier as well.

If an all-in-one battery approach is your requirement, the Carvin s600b is probably the most attractive, relatively affordable, all around battery powered amp being made right now.

The Roland Cube Street EX is probably a good bit better than an AC-33 and is probably the best commonly available option.

The Acus One For Street is a Schertler Jam 100 with a built in battery and should be pretty great but expensive.

Sunburst Gear makes a few options that a couple of users have said good things about:

https://www.amazon.com/Sunburst-Gear...ered+amplifier

Traynor still makes a version of the old Crate Taxi, though it'd be hard to call it better than an AC33, it is louder.

There's this thing, though it'll be a bit much for the bus:

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Subw...ered+amplifier
Old 08-31-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
It is possible to put together a higher powered system that's portable enough for public trans. It won't be built as one box though (Unless you build a box for the stuff yourself) and not nearly as convenient to carry as an AC-33.

A small pure sine inverter, a small lithium battery (with an integrated battery management system. Required addition), a Fishman Loudbox Mini, a 12v charger and you'll have a much, much more powerful system than an AC-33 for around $550-600, weighing in at around 30-33 lbs total.. There are many other choices you could use for the main amplifier as well.

If an all-in-one battery approach is your requirement, the Carvin s600b is probably the most attractive, relatively affordable, all around battery powered amp being made right now.

The Roland Cube Street EX is probably a good bit better than an AC-33 and is probably the best commonly available option.

The Acus One For Street is a Schertler Jam 100 with a built in battery and should be pretty great but expensive.

Sunburst Gear makes a few options that a couple of users have said good things about:

https://www.amazon.com/Sunburst-Gear...ered+amplifier

Traynor still makes a version of the old Crate Taxi, though it'd be hard to call it better than an AC33, it is louder.

There's this thing, though it'll be a bit much for the bus:

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Subw...ered+amplifier

+1 to this good info.

Also, another good thing that the Street Cube EX design has going for it is its built-in upwards tilt, like a PA monitor. This makes for a good localized sound dispersal pattern, while still getting the stability and lower frequency boost of on-the-ground placement.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:56 PM

The basic principle of a line array is that it throws farther at relatively comparable sound levels. You need a certain amount of "line" length to get the effect, hence the minimum column size of something like the Fishman PA220 and the Bose L1.

Sound from point sources (single speaker, single vehicle passby) diminishes at -6 dB per doubling of distance, which is the basic "inverse square" law. Sound from line sources (a line array, traffic flowing steadily on a road) falls off at -3 dB per doubling. The net result is that you get more even volume / coverage from front to back.

It seems like a single speaker like the AC33 would give you louder levels up close, but less "noise" as you get further away. You might lose coverage of a larger audience but you would also be less likely to provoke complaints at distance. If you could daisy chain two AC33's together on either side of the stage area, you would get more coverage by having the speakers closer to the listeners. When I have played in larger rooms I prefer to use several speakers, each turned up a little less. Conceptually, think distributed lighting versus spot lighting.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:38 AM

Wow that's some great information being shared around here! Thanks a tonne for everyone for the advice! The Laney FreeHub 4x4 is sorta what I was thinking and it looks really interesting... Seems like it would possibly be really good! It's too bad I probably won't get to try something like that in my country (Singapore) unless I buy and ship it in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwKwngg27HA

Here's a link if anyone else is interested

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification