The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-30-2016, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Recommend A Nylon String Guitar

I don't currently own a nylon string guitar. Just because I heard someone playing one very nicely at the Raleigh/Durham Airport yesterday, I'm thinking I would like to try something and see if I enjoy it. I strum and play some fingerstyle. I think it might be fun to sound differently from what I'm used to.

I'd like to hear recommendations of acoustic or acoustic/electric nylon string guitars, whether classical or flamenco, let's say in the range up to $500.

I guess one concern is my perception of very high action on some classicals I've occasionally grabbed at when I've been in GC or other stores. Is it possible to have lower action on a nylon string guitar?

BTW - I only play at home for fun, so I wouldn't mind something like a thin body A/E either.

Anyway, thanks gang... Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by stratokatsu; 08-30-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:58 PM

I think there is another similar question thread out there, you might want to do a search.

In the meantime, you might look at the Cordoba C5 or C7 for classical style guitar. You might also look at the Córdoba GK (Gypsy Kings) which is more of a Flamenco style guitar. I think some of the GK models are electric. I think the GK might also have a thinner nut width.

If you can spend a little more, you might look at the Kenny Hill New World Estudio classical guitar. (Not the Kenny Hill New World Player guitars which are out of the range you want to spend.)

Generally speaking, Flamencos have lower action and a thinner top than do classical guitars.

Also, I'd say look for a used guitar, as that will knock the price down a bit.

Good luck !

Curtis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical