The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-09-2017, 06:52 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Default Mary's Birthday

And a big Happy Birthday to Mary McKnight yesterday!

We celebrated!
Old 04-09-2017, 06:55 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Dennis, did you get yourself a press pass or something???? How are you in there getting all the photos with no one else (even luthiers) present?

BTW, if Jack Daniels is selling empty barrels, I would gladly recoup you the expense if you buy one for me.

Tom
Hey Tom. It was an early morning visit to the floor and I had a VIP badge so they let me in. More "people pictures" are coming but this was definitely the way to get the best "guitars in booth" pictures.

I can check on the price of a barrel if you would like. Call me if you really want one.

... dennis
Old 04-09-2017, 07:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

The Artisan show has had a great flow of traffic. Show owner, John, has picked a great group of volunteees and staff.

Cigarfan had planned to meet at a local steak house for a quick supper but that was before we comprehended there would be a great spread provided both nights for luthiers and VIPs. No reason at all to step away from the venue any time this weekend.

The venue is absolutely beautiful. A person doesn't have to be interested in alcohol to appreciate the nice display of the barrels and those entertainers in that booth.

Fretboard Journal has been around. I need to get pictures of them. They always seem to be behind the camera and that's not fair. . We have met up with old friends and new. It's always a pleaseure seeing friends we met in our first guitar show in Healdsburg. Michael Bashkin, Mario, Ervin and amoung others. I can't name all the new friends but what a joy to be able to grab some fun times and share our meal provided by John Detrick, right in the lobby just steps from the convention room with Cigar fan (Dennis.)

I want to thank all of you who came by to wish me a happy birthday yesterday. Dennis recorded the moment of a melodious (to my ears) choir of luthiers, AGF MEMBERS and just wonderful folks who brightened my day. As a mom who was missing waking up to my kids, I would pick this as a next best thing. One staff member touched my heart when she brought a slice of birthday cake and much needed tender words to share with me. Bless her heart. Many thanks to volunteers who support the world of guitar show owners who stand strong for luthiers across the world.

Today is Sunday which holds special meaning to the McKnights for several reasons. In the case of guitar shows I shall now slip on a purple satin robe to not only remind myself that Sunday is a day of rest, but in the case of guitar shows this is an act I do each Sunday of any given guitar show we attend to honor my husband's teacher and our friend, the respectable trusted luthier, Mr Ervin Somogyi whom many of us expect to see him in his robe made for him as it displays numerous guitars.

Now you know no guitar show goes off without a hitch so let me tell you the day before the show my wireless rimmed glasses broke so I am wearing a pair from two prescriptions ago. I always donate old glasses to local Lions clubs but this pair has, thankfully, stayed hidden in a drawer. As nice as our motel room is it is foreign to wake up in a strange place half blind. I woke up and avoided turning on lights so my "Mc"Knight-in-shining armour could rest in. ... or not. BAM!!! I walked right into the wall. Not at all quietly. Not at all gracefully. Not only did it wake Tim but the guy next door to us probably thinks I need more than my eyes examined!

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:50 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Default People pics

I will do my best to identify the players but if I can't maybe you can.

Tim McKnight & Dick Boak

Roger Sadowsky with his guitars

Ken Parker, John Monteleone & Dan Krugman

Jay Rosenblatt and his guitars

Tim McKnight & Ervin Somogyi

Marty Garcia and his invention (in ear monitors)

Mario Beauregard and his guitar

Dick Boak & Ervin Somogyi

Tim & Mary McKnight with Dennis Lair (AGF's cigarfan). So glad I finally got to meet these fine folks.

Tom Sands and his guitars. He is just wrapping up his two-year internship with Ervin Somogyi.

Last edited by cigarfan; 04-10-2017 at 02:50 AM. Reason: add John and Dan
Old 04-09-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
The Artisan show has had a great flow of traffic. Show owner, John, has picked a great group of volunteees and staff.

Cigarfan had planned to meet at a local steak house for a quick supper but that was before we comprehended there would be a great spread provided both nights for luthiers and VIPs. No reason at all to step away from the venue any time this weekend.

The venue is absolutely beautiful. A person doesn't have to be interested in alcohol to appreciate the nice display of the barrels and those entertainers in that booth.

Fretboard Journal has been around. I need to get pictures of them. They always seem to be behind the camera and that's not fair. . We have met up with old friends and new. It's always a pleaseure seeing friends we met in our first guitar show in Healdsburg. Michael Bashkin, Mario, Ervin and amoung others. I can't name all the new friends but what a joy to be able to grab some fun times and share our meal provided by John Detrick, right in the lobby just steps from the convention room with Cigar fan (Dennis.)

I want to thank all of you who came by to wish me a happy birthday yesterday. Dennis recorded the moment of a melodious (to my ears) choir of luthiers, AGF MEMBERS and just wonderful folks who brightened my day. As a mom who was missing waking up to my kids, I would pick this as a next best thing. One staff member touched my heart when she brought a slice of birthday cake and much needed tender words to share with me. Bless her heart. Many thanks to volunteers who support the world of guitar show owners who stand strong for luthiers across the world.

Today is Sunday which holds special meaning to the McKnights for several reasons. In the case of guitar shows I shall now slip on a purple satin robe to not only remind myself that Sunday is a day of rest, but in the case of guitar shows this is an act I do each Sunday of any given guitar show we attend to honor my husband's teacher and our friend, the respectable trusted luthier, Mr Ervin Somogyi whom many of us expect to see him in his robe made for him as it displays numerous guitars.

Now you know no guitar show goes off without a hitch so let me tell you the day before the show my wireless rimmed glasses broke so I am wearing a pair from two prescriptions ago. I always donate old glasses to local Lions clubs but this pair has, thankfully, stayed hidden in a drawer. As nice as our motel room is it is foreign to wake up in a strange place half blind. I woke up and avoided turning on lights so my "Mc"Knight-in-shining armour could rest in. ... or not. BAM!!! I walked right into the wall. Not at all quietly. Not at all gracefully. Not only did it wake Tim but the guy next door to us probably thinks I need more than my eyes examined!

Happy Birthday Mary, I believe you share a birthday with Steve Kinnaird, if not the same day, than one day off....have a wonderful day!!!!
Old 04-09-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Ken Parker & ??
(...) & John Monteleone
Old 04-09-2017, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Artisan Guitar Show (Part I)

I was fortunate to be able to attend the inaugural ArtisanGuitar Show in Harrisburg, PA this weekend. It was a very well run show in terms of the layout of the exhibition room, spacious table set ups with room for audition chairs, separate quiet audition space and lecture and performance areas. My complements to John Deitrick the show promoter who did an excellent job (kudos). I would gage the attendance as light in number, but was mainly comprised of serious potential customers. As promised, here are some photos of some of the guitars exhibited. I missed some due to photographer's error but perhaps others will share some of theirs:

Alphabetically....

01 - American Archtop Guitars:

02 - Bashkin Guitars:

03 - Benoit Lavoie Luthier:

04 - Borgino Guitars

05 - Circa Guitars

06 - Comins Handcrafted Artisan Guitars:

07 - Doerr Guitars:

08 - Dream Guitars:

09 - Ervin Somogyi Luthier:

010 - Galloup Guitars:
Old 04-09-2017, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Artisan Guitar Show (Part II)

11 - Greenfield Guitars:

12 - Isaac Jang Guitars:

13 - Jay Rosenblatt Guitars:

14 - Ken Parker Archtops:

15 - KOPO Guitar:

16 - Kostal Guitars:

17 - Lame Horse Instruments:

18 - Laurent Brondel Luthier:

19 - MacCubbin Guitars:

20 - Manzer Guitars:
Old 04-09-2017, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Artisan Guitar Show (Part III)

21 - Martin Keith Guitars:

22 - McKnight Guitars:

23 - Mirabella Guitars:

24 - Monteleone:

25 - Peggy White Guitars:

26 - Pellerin Guitars:

27 - Pfifer Guitars:

28 - Sadowsky Guitars:

29 - Stuart Day Guitars:
Old 04-09-2017, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Artisan Guitar Show (Part IV)

30 - Jimmy D'Aquisto

31 - John D'Angelico

Old 04-09-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbenbenben View Post
(...) & John Monteleone
Third person in this pic (first on left) is Dan Krugman, DDK Guitars, currently apprenticing under Ken P.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Keith View Post
Third person in this pic (first on left) is Dan Krugman, DDK Guitars, currently apprenticing under Ken P.
Thanks Martin! We had great talk with Dan at the Woodstock saturday night last year, definitely a great person
Old 04-10-2017, 02:52 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbenbenben View Post
(...) & John Monteleone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Keith View Post
Thank you guys. Appreciate the hand. So many people in one short weekend.

More photos to come folks. Just didn't have time process all of them while the show was happening. A fun jam on Saturday night with Roland. We enjoyed ourselves. Even gathered a little crowd.

Last edited by cigarfan; 04-10-2017 at 03:26 AM. Reason: more photos coming
Old 04-10-2017, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Outstanding pictures Dennis! It was a pleasure meeting you and getting the opportunity to talk guitars for a bit in person...what a fun event!

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 04-10-2017, 06:38 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Default Luthiers and other products

Solid Ground Stands

American Music Furniture

Fretboard Journal

Take A Stand

Mirko Borghino and his guitars

Michael Bashkin and his guitars

Isaac Jang and his guitar

Acoustic Remedy

Laurent Brondel and his guitars

John and Gerry with their American Music Furniture cabinet

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop