The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-08-2015, 12:09 PM

I am sorry to be a little late to the party, had to work myself this AM. I really liked this one Mau....I could hear the words in my head as you played. I really like the little bridge in the middle with the hammer on series up the strings...

Good to hear about Quebec. My SO has been wanting to go, but it is a little bit of a drive so we have not. We have gone to old Montreal on occasion for 3 day weekends and have fun. Stayed up the hill at a Gaylord or Omni can't remember which now. We had fun there, she speaks fluent French and enjoyed using it!

Tom
Old 08-08-2015, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Bravo! Good Sir- That was lovely, and just the medicine for heart and soul I needed without knowing.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:29 AM

Mau, I applaud your artistry in both photography and music! Love those vibrant colours and your vision to capture it all the way you did.

And as I have mentioned several times before, what really captivates me with your playing is how you emphasise just the right things, especially in this piece. There are so many notes, yet you have clearly separated the melody with the bass and accompanying notes so well, that it wasn't messy but extremely clear and succinct. Perfect! And that reach with your thumb...wow. Hahaha love the sense of melody in this piece, though with the style of playing, "Galloping To You" would seem more appropriate a title

I hope to one day be able to churn out compositions the way you do, and definitely keep up with it, I am sure most if not all would agree that you have set a high bench mark in everything that goes on in this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Last weekend I didn't get much of a break as my aunt was visiting from California so we had lots of Chinese food and visited lots of boring places, like Old Quebec.

And then this week I worked like a dog. I was going to call it a night but decided to record a little piece -- a rare fast-paced tune of mine called "Running To You".

Unfortunately the headstock gradually disappears as the tune progresses and I kept slouching...

Hope you enjoy it nonetheless.

https://youtu.be/QiFeOBO-VDM

Thanks for listening.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 08-09-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
That would be for me if I ever make it up there.

Beautiful guitar and great new recording.
I'd let you strum the Martin for sure as someone else has already "ruined" it...

Thanks for stopping by, Jeremy.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I am sorry to be a little late to the party, had to work myself this AM. I really liked this one Mau....I could hear the words in my head as you played. I really like the little bridge in the middle with the hammer on series up the strings...

Good to hear about Quebec. My SO has been wanting to go, but it is a little bit of a drive so we have not. We have gone to old Montreal on occasion for 3 day weekends and have fun. Stayed up the hill at a Gaylord or Omni can't remember which now. We had fun there, she speaks fluent French and enjoyed using it!

Tom
It's never too late, Tom. This party never stops...

Quebec is nice. We used to live about an hour away and went shopping in Quebec/Ste-Foy pretty often. I like to go back from time to time just to reminisce the old days.

That being said, for the average tourist there isn't much to see in Old Quebec that can't be found in Old Montreal (which is a 5-minute walk for me) -- IMHO of course. The Château Frontenac looks good on postal cards but in person it really isn't that impressive.

Here's a photo that I took of the "castle" -- and of course I deliberately took a somewhat "abstract" shot as this building has been photographed so many times:

Old 08-09-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnerb View Post
Bravo! Good Sir- That was lovely, and just the medicine for heart and soul I needed without knowing.
Thank you! Please come back anytime...
Old 08-09-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Mau, I applaud your artistry in both photography and music! Love those vibrant colours and your vision to capture it all the way you did.

And as I have mentioned several times before, what really captivates me with your playing is how you emphasise just the right things, especially in this piece. There are so many notes, yet you have clearly separated the melody with the bass and accompanying notes so well, that it wasn't messy but extremely clear and succinct. Perfect! And that reach with your thumb...wow. Hahaha love the sense of melody in this piece, though with the style of playing, "Galloping To You" would seem more appropriate a title

I hope to one day be able to churn out compositions the way you do, and definitely keep up with it, I am sure most if not all would agree that you have set a high bench mark in everything that goes on in this forum
Thanks Marcus. I was always into the more "classic" players, whether on electric or acoustic, partly because of my personality and also partly because it's a better fit with my technique.

From my piano days, I always divide music in three parts -- the melody, the bass and the accompaniment -- and adjust the volume of each part accordingly. Of course the guitar is much more limited in terms of playing multiple parts at once -- but the basic idea is the same.

Here's a mural across the street from where I live, by artist Phillip Adams:

Old 08-09-2015, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

I love how music can take your mind and let it wander all the while listening to the beautiful sounds. This piece is one of those instances where this occurs. Simply lovely.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
I love how music can take your mind and let it wander all the while listening to the beautiful sounds. This piece is one of those instances where this occurs. Simply lovely.
Thank you very much. I really value your kind feedback.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:36 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I'd let you strum the Martin for sure as someone else has already "ruined" it...

Thanks for stopping by, Jeremy.
Now we're talking.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:50 PM

Here's a little piece called "Guardian Angel" which I dedicate to my late grandmother.

It's a very simple piece -- under two minutes, no chorus...

https://youtu.be/H869iXYuu7k

Old 08-14-2015, 08:03 AM

Default Thanks !!

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L: Every time I listen to your recordings I gas for an Olson (which I'll probably never afford), but then remind myself that it wouldn't sound that good in my hands, even though it does in yours. Awesome tone/sound and composition. You clearly have incredible talent and I wonder why you haven't been picked up by a record label. Maybe we should start one ! If you ever release a compilation of your music, I want one !!

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 08-14-2015, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Fantastic, Mau--a beautiful tribute...thanks for starting my day off right!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 08-14-2015, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing, Mau. I like how even your more melodic pieces retain a sense of 'forward motion', it's engaging. Congrats!
Old 08-14-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychojohn View Post
B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L: Every time I listen to your recordings I gas for an Olson (which I'll probably never afford), but then remind myself that it wouldn't sound that good in my hands, even though it does in yours. Awesome tone/sound and composition. You clearly have incredible talent and I wonder why you haven't been picked up by a record label. Maybe we should start one ! If you ever release a compilation of your music, I want one !!

John
Thanks so much, John. When I have a compilation you will get a free copy for sure.

There are countless musicians out there who are way, way better and more dedicated than me and don't get their share of recognition. In all honesty, even if we charged people $1 for each of my YouTube views, it still wouldn't be enough to pay a decent salary...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop