The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-23-2013, 11:09 AM

Default Can Anyone Vouch For This David Hamburger DVD?

Hi Everyone!

This is my 2nd post here, and I've been reading many of the great threads. I am NEW to fingerstyle blues, but have been playing classical guitar for 3 years now. Being so drawn to the blues, especially the acoustic fingerpicking blues, I have been searching for good instructional DVD's and saw on Happy Traum's Homespun website a 2 DVD download called "The Acoustic Guitar Fingerstyle Method" by David Hamburger. Has anyone been through this course, and if so, would you recommend it for a "newbie"? I thought, rather stupidly I might add, that playing classical guitar would make it an easier transition going to fingerpicking blues, but they're 2 different animals, and in many cases some of the blues fingerpicking techniques are a "no-no", from a classical guitar perspective that is.

I understand the alternating thumb and steady thumb technique, and I'm searching for a method/lesson that would guide me through the learning process methodically and logically. I've seen some methods that seem to jump right into tunes that I certainly wouldn't consider beginner level, and that can be frustrating when you're starting from the bottom.

So, if anyone can recommend this DVD or comment on it I'd greatly appreciate your opinion and/or advice. Thanks so much!

JB
Old 02-23-2013, 11:38 AM

Hi Rattler,

Over the years I have purchased and studied several David Hamburger blues DVD courses purchased from Truefire. Although I have not experienced the specific DVD you mention I will vouch for the Davids courses and would reccommend him. The courses I own deal with electric blues and he does a very good job of explaining why and showing how.

Blues
Old 02-23-2013, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Hi Rattler,

I'm quite familiar with that series. It's top notch.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:12 PM

Thanks, BluesBelly and Toby. I ordered it and played through sections of it to see how it was laid out and to get a feel of the flow. It looks really good and David Hamburger would appear to be a laid-back, easy going instructor. I'm looking forward to starting it in the next couple of days. Again, thanks for taking the time to chime in with your thoughts, I really appreciate it.

Rattler
Old 02-24-2013, 04:19 AM

Probably a bit late here. Yesterday I bought and downloaded Happy Traum's Easy steps to Acoustic Blues DVD 1 + 2. I have only watched DVD 1 so far and am stoked. I have been playing for years - last 6 years have been off and on but have progressed well. I have learnt some blues, but I wish I had this 4-5 years ago. While it is basic in beginning, it has already taught me a lot of things that excite me (and I already had basic understanding of blues). As for David - I'm sure he is a great teacher and has good courses, but can vouch for this set at the moment - especially at this price.
Enjoy your pickin'.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler Blues View Post
Thanks, BluesBelly and Toby. I ordered it and played through sections of it to see how it was laid out and to get a feel of the flow. It looks really good and David Hamburger would appear to be a laid-back, easy going instructor. I'm looking forward to starting it in the next couple of days. Again, thanks for taking the time to chime in with your thoughts, I really appreciate it.

Rattler
I haven't used that specific dvd, but I do have David's Fingerstyle Blues Handbook Pt. 1 and his New school Fingerstyle Blues Dvd's and they are great. He really is a great teacher and his lessons are really comprehensive. I was a complete beginner when I bought the Fingerstyle Blues Handbook, and I blew through the lesson (out of excitement, not because it wasn't a detailed, in depth lesson..) and within about 2 weeks I was very competent with keeping a steady and alternating bass while playing melodies.

Like I said, I havent used that DVD specifically, but from my experience with David Hamburger I think it'll be a great DVD to learn.
early 1930's A-Type mandolin (restored)

Sold:
'07 PRS SE Singlecut
'14 Eastman AC720

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write