The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-23-2013, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Interesting thread. I like Robert Conti's approach to learning to play and theory. He feels that "the action is on the fretboard" - play the music and then, in the context of what you are already doing, you can better understand why it works (the theory). The issue I had with theory is that it is often taught separate from playing, and the student is then left to figure out how to bridge that gulf between the two realms. I taught myself theory and could spout with the best of them. But "play something" would bring all that to a halt. It turned out that learning to apply all that knowledge was a very interesting journey and it also served to weed out a lot of unnecessary information (hard core theoreticians can get into some really esoteric stuff, leaving the actual music far behind). The model of theory I now keep in mind is rather lean and is very logical, starting with the chromatic scale and each subsequent piece of information building on the previous piece, with each step directly translateable to the fretboard. I like Conti's advice on the subject. On the piano, that is how David Sudnow approached it too. I suspect that is how Happy Traum probably does it too.

If you kow your major scales, can modify them to create the harmoic and melodic minor scales on the fretboard, derive the various chord types from these and likewise build them on the fretboard, you have a pretty decent, practical foundation. Underpinning all that is knowing where the notes on the fretboard are, so you can build all this stuff wherever you want to will. With that framework in place, you can start to see how what music you are playng comes out of all this, and then begin to make your own choices as to how and what to play. Regardless of the method and teacher you choose, this is pretty much what you are aiming for.

Tony
Old 02-27-2013, 05:00 AM

Just to report and share my latest findings. I followed Toby's advice to purchase Basic Theory Every Guitarist Should Know. While at it, I came across a "companion" title called Basic Arranging Every Guitarist Should Know. I'm very excited about these two titles as I believe they will free me from reading tabs and playing every song exactly the same way each time. And yes, when I'm ready, I'll probably try Toby's own Fingerpicking Freedom too. Being free is what's it's about, to me. If I kept learning each song the exact way it was taught and never stray from it, I would never master my instrument.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:42 PM

Stefan is a great, personable guy. My only complaint with his dvd's is all the songs are ancient, public domain tunes that border on primitive playing. I wouldn't mind someone pointing me to an exception to this.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKell View Post
Stefan is a great, personable guy. My only complaint with his dvd's is all the songs are ancient, public domain tunes that border on primitive playing. I wouldn't mind someone pointing me to an exception to this.
If you take a look at the site you'll find Rockabilly, Rock, Electric Blues, Bop, Modern Jazz and other - not so 'ancient' tunes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write