The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-24-2013, 07:33 PM

I'm fairly certain it's the thickness of the neck more than the width. My hands are fairly small, and I've done quite well with what I have. I've played all my life, and supported myself all through the 80's playing music. If anyone has played a Takamine Tradesman series guitar, you'll know what I mean about the neck. When you get up around the 7th fret, it's like holding a baseball bat. So the width is fine for me, but when I need to get up a bit higher, I have a tough time fretting full chords cleanly because of the girth. As far as Tommy's big hands, I've seen videos where he looks to be playing just a regular C chord, but he's actually spanning 4 or 5 frets....so yeah he has big ham hands! And he plays a smaller guitar too, so it looks tiny in his hands. Anyway, I'm not completely obsessed with Tommy tunes, and I'm not trying to be the next TE. I just tried to play a few tunes and discovered that this big thick neck is inhibiting me in an unacceptable way. I think I'll get back to my Tak TAN15C and all will be well. I still won't be able to play like Tommy, but at least my mistakes will sound nice and clear! Thanks guys!

Edward
Old 02-25-2013, 08:45 PM

Well I went to the music store today and came home with my old cedar Takamine! Feels like seeing an old friend after a year or so! I still have the big fat necked guitar here, too, and man what a difference in the size of these necks. It's just something I never really considered until I was playing a song that had some higher chord shapes. The TAN15C has a nice 1-11/16 inch nut width, and it's a thinner neck all the way up. Much more comfortable to me. In fact, it's like night and day, the difference in how easy it is to play. I was really working hard on that fat neck! Oh well, lesson learned I guess. I'm just glad my old guitar was still there.

Edward

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write