The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-16-2011, 09:04 AM

Default 00015-S Tuner Hole Coverup

I just bought a used 000-15S (2006-07 stock where someone had changed out the tuners. When I got it from the other party, the stock tuners were back in place and there were four extra holes per side. Other than that, the guitar is in good shape and sounds wonderful.

The holes bug me. I've mixed some rosewood powder with epoxy and have carefully filled the screw holes flush with the slothead. There is little I can do to match the mahogany perfectly, so there are four darker spots per side.

I've read the archives on Plate-type replacement tuners, and am pretty convinced that's the way to go to cover up the damage. While checking Stew Mac's site, I see they offer vintage 3-on-a-plate engraved Waverly-STYLE tuners for a somewhat better price (like 1/3 the cost).

Anybody have experience with these? Are they worth a try for some savings, or should I just spring for the Waverlys and the conversion bushings? Here's the link: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/G...ad_Guitar.html
Old 04-16-2011, 10:04 AM

I had a Martin 000-15s and put Wave's 3 on a plate and loved them. But these new one's look like they may be worth a try. They get good reviews on Stewmac's website. They are cheaper in price than the Wave's, that was the only draw back of the Wave's. A lot of guys go with Grover's because of the price of Wave's .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair