The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-31-2017, 03:38 PM

You're welcome.

Another option would be to get the K&K pure mini with the K&K (or some other) mic, either blended internally or externally, and combine that with a magnetic (or even UST). You might need two end pins though. Would work just as well as my setup, I suspect, or better.

The Grace Felix looks pretty tasty, preamp wise. I'd imagine that it - like the SPS1 - is pretty transparent, but no first hand experience, just detailed user feedback.

Good luck with your quest!

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
Brilliant! Thanks for sharing the info. I really like the notion of an SBT and Mag pickup - I can see why it would get a great sound and still be very feedback resistant.

I'm familiar with the Pendulum - nice piece of kit for sure. I've been blown away lately by all the different acoustic preamps that claim to be transparent that are anything but. Its quite jigsaw puzzle - finding the right gear to play nice together to make an acoustic sound acoustic once its plugged in. This was very informative, thanks much

Steve
Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (another due 2022)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists
Old 02-12-2017, 07:31 PM

Hello, I'm excited to finally ask if you'd please add me to the CoM list! I searched for the better part of a year or two for my her (was actually through the forum I eventually sourced one!) and despite having her a good while, I'm only getting to posting now!

My A20 sees 3/4 gigs a week and lets me enjoy every one of them! Here's an image from a recent photoshoot as I prepare to record my solo celtic/trad guitar album!

P.S. I'm on the lookout for an AS, (preferably cedar top and anything except walnut back and sides); tried a few newly built just before the near year but want something thats aged slightly, giving the wood time to really settle. So PLEASE, if yours is gathering dust, I PROMISE it would find a loving home, drop me a message!
Old 04-09-2017, 05:45 AM
Charter Member

AD30 owner
Old 11-04-2017, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

What is the difference between an AS25 and an ASP25 ?

Regards

John
Old 11-04-2017, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

The body on an ASP is 15mm (9/16”) thinner.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:47 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, what is the consensus of the AS vs the ASP?

I have an opportunity to trade for an ASP but I have not much knowledge about them.

I have tried a Mcilroy before and it was loud and easy playing.

Scale length at 650mm is also a bit longer than I am used to.

J
Old 11-06-2017, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

I have an A30c and have never played an AS or ASP, so I can't really provide a direct comparison. I find the A body size to be a bit large -- not too large, but it is a large guitar. I've long thought that my next McIlroy would be an ASP. If you decide you don't want the one you are considering please PM me the contact info for the seller. :-)
Old 11-06-2017, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

There are not many AS models around and perhaps even less ASP models, so you might not get a reply from someone that has played both.

I have two A models McIlroys, an A25 and an A30, they share the characteristic open sound, responsive, good sustain, easy to play, but sound quite different to me. The 25 denotes Cedar/Walnut, and for me this works very well in a McIlroy, warm with nice harmonics. They are comfortable considering the size, but i too would look to an AS or even ASP if I were to buy now.

I would encourage you to talk to Dermot McIlroy - he has always been very helpful when i have contacted him and has played them all!

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube

Last edited by RodB; 11-06-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, I will keep you posted.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Thought I'd wake this thread up to give an update. In 2011, I bought my first Mcilroy, an old logo style AJ20 from a fellow AGF'er. Amazing, amazing guitar and one I thought would be my lifetime guitar, but when Fretted Frog announced their closing, Roland offered the A25c at a price I could not pass up.

Wow.

To my great surprise, I am selling the AJ20 (in the classifieds, if anyone is interested.) Both are killer guitars. The AJ's walnut is 3d and gorgeous, as is its midrange, but I use a cutaway more and more nowadays so I'm going with the A25c.

Fellow A25 owners, do you have a favorite string brand for this model? I know it is subjective, but I'd love to narrow down the options a bit as I dial the new guitar in
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 07-25-2018, 12:28 AM
Charter Member

After trying a few different strings on my A25 I settled on Wyres Pierre Bensusan sets - coated PB. I mostly like uncoated strings but these seemed to complement the guitar like no others - lovely warmth and shimmer. In my case I use the Wyres CP1356P DADGAD set.

More recently tried and enjoyed D’addario NB on this guitar, as these are now my favourite strings on my spruce topped A30 and Taran, but have gone back to the Wyres.

Enjoy your new McIlroy Steve...

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 07-25-2018, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
After trying a few different strings on my A25 I settled on Wyres Pierre Bensusan sets - coated PB. I mostly like uncoated strings but these seemed to complement the guitar like no others - lovely warmth and shimmer. In my case I use the Wyres CP1356P DADGAD set.

More recently tried and enjoyed D’addario NB on this guitar, as these are now my favourite strings on my spruce topped A30 and Taran, but have gone back to the Wyres.

Enjoy your new McIlroy Steve...

Thanks much Rod!
Line 6 Helix.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:03 PM

My favourites on my A25 are Wyres PB coated, Thomastik Plectrum and - for convenience (i.e. fewer string changes rather than for tone) Elixir PB nanoweb. All quite different! The Wyres seem softer on the fingers, warm yet detailed with good presence (but don't, for me, last all that long for coated strings); the Elixirs a bit brash and stiff by comparison, but last for months; the Plectrums are something else altogether - quite different, and worth a try.
Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (another due 2022)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists
Old 08-01-2018, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Thanks folks. I am intrigued by the Wyres - I've never tried them before. I just put some DR Sunbeams on and I am loving those and I also ordered some Infinity Bronze for something different.

I'll track down some Wires. I tried Thomastiks once, but they went dead so quickly, I moved on. Incredible strings while they lasted, though.
Line 6 Helix.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:53 AM

Default Cult of McIlroy

I'm not a owner, but I played a A36 a couple years ago. Fell in like and hope someday to hold one again

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop