The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

I've said it before and I still believe that my Circa 00 with 12 fret neck joint, long scale and cutaway might be the perfect guitar. Mine is mahogany and Red Spruce. It is very light. It has excellent tonal response, it responds to fingerstyle or flatpicking. It can also be a very loud guitar.
The builder (John Slobod) told me that a cutaway would have no noticable effect on the total sound of the guitar. I trusted his judgement and I am glad that I did. I might be wrong but I think he also told me that his 00 body was a little deeper than the standard Martin 00. I do not recall if he said why it is deeper.
I would think that there are several builders (including the ones on this forum) that can produce an outstanding instrument working with your specs.
I would say find a builder that you think you can work with and go for it.

Last edited by Teleplucker; 01-02-2011 at 06:25 PM. Reason: poor typing skills
Old 01-02-2011, 06:21 PM
PIT74827

I played it safe and ruled out the cut. One thing about custom orders is I'm buying sound, I hope, with aesthetics being either the selling point or not depending on the sound quality. So, I hedge my bets with a symmetrically shaped guitar for the full size chamber and keep the bling down to a conservative rivalry with good figuring in the wood. I will find out soon which side of the door it stays on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop